Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horror and Charm  (Read 723 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horror and Charm
« on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:00 am »

I don't know if the Charm part is doable (it'd be hell in adventure mode, at least) - but about about being able to set a Horror token on creatures so dwarves get a large happiness penalty for seeing them? This could allow for creative modders to...say...create a Great Old One/Cthulhu Megabeast, preferrably to rise from the sea.

The charm idea would be the opposite of this; a tag so that a dwarf who tries to attack it has a randomn chance of being charmed and defending it, instead.

Both would allow for the creation of creatures where players need to think in different ways then usual before fighting them; whereas currently (most) of the creatures are essentially the same with different stats, this would allow for creatures with exotic properties which throw some flair into the game.

At least, if the next giant Megabeast could inspire your dwarves to tantrum merely from /seeing/ it, that'd certainly be an interesting encounter.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horror and Charm
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

The charm idea might be difficult to implement, but I like the sound of the horror idea. It would be good to put on Demons and the like.

Also, maybe in fortress mode it could have a chance to make military dwarves run away when they see it, with the chance lessening depending on what strength of horror the monster has (just a tad frightening, or bowel-looseningly terrifying etc) and on how skilled the dwarf in question is (so a champion would almost never run away, whereas a fresh recruit would never stand against a demon).

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:00 am »

You wouldn't want the goblins to be made upset at the sight of their own demon though.  A slight tweak though, and people that share the religious spheres of the megabeast/demon would be charmed instead of horrified.

Charm would work the opposite way, where most everyone is charmed, unless the person worships the exact opposing spheres, then they're horrified.  So someone who worships evil seeing something that charms good would be horrified instead.

Also, stick a number next to the charm/horror tag, to determine the happiness bonus/penalty at seeing them.  So some creatures could be slightly impressive, while others could be overwhelmingly so.  Imagine if the demon caused a happiness hit of 500.  In order to fight it, you'd have to have your dwarves be so ecstatic with their surroundings they'd be able to handle the moral hit.  Most would tantrum before being able to attack.  That'd make the demon far more powerful and scary.

I'm not sure that charm should work as "you must defend it" though.  I'm thinking charm would make them like the creature, get a happy thought, and have them simply not attack it if their happiness is above a certain level (unhappy enough people could still attack).

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: Fieari ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:39:00 am »

I thought of "extra happy" idea a long time ago...
This will be something like tantrum on the opposite side of the happiness "slider". The supremely superextramega ecstatic dwarf will have a chance to fall in "nirvana" ignoring surroundings and hesistating to fight/work.

So extra-charming creature will just make your dwarves to fall in nirvana and forget their combat tasks. Imagine the megabeautiful maiden (this creatures should be balanced to be comparingly "weak", because they're beautiful peaceful dwellings, not terrifying man-o-wars).
You'll need angry and sad dwarves to deal with it.
This idea would be cool only when we fix the "dining room ownage" though...

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:36:00 am »

I like this idea, and makes sense.

Hell, it'd give Goblins one more trick up their sleeve. If, after a large siege, they can't break in, they bring some horrible fiend from the deep that strikes fear and horror in anyone who views it, scattering your army, save for the very brave.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:54:00 am »

Another thought.  If we're tying charm/horror to spheres, if your sphere is appropriate, the happiness bonus/penalty could also be effected by your level of devotion to that sphere.  So if you were our favorite king who halfheartedly worshiped the god of muck (2%), and he saw the embodiment of cleanliness, he'd only take 2% of the normal hit to his happiness.  If he saw the embodiment of muck, he'd receive 2% of the normal bonus to his happiness.

This would only apply to the exception people... those that are horrified by charmers, or charmed by horrors.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

Your right - a happiness bonus for charm /IS/ much better, and basing it on spheres would really help flesh out and give character to the almost blank religion features. Hell, I'd be happy if I was a dwarf living /near my own god/ - or hell, even happier if I was living near a forest of nymphs or an oceanside of mermaids.

Happy, happy, happy dwarves.

[ May 27, 2008: Message edited by: lastofthelight ]