Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Goblin mentality  (Read 1757 times)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
Re: The Goblin mentality
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 03:12:43 pm »

But can you catch them all?   :D

Dwarf used Magma. It's super effective!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »

My biggest problem in catching Goblins has actually been that my military likes to just wander randomly, often outside of the fort walls for no good reason.  There's no meeting zones out there, and the outdoors meeting zone is well away from the outer walls, so I can only assume they do it to piss me off.  Animals seem to do that a lot too.  The last ambush, some idiot dear fawn wandered outside and revealed the ambush, so I figured I'd have minus one idiot deer and plus 12 Gobbos.  Instead, one of my military's champions decided that this was a fine time to go commune with nature and started to head outside.  In desperation, I activated his squad and set his patrol route well away from outdoors, but to no avail.  Only 4 Gobbos survived long enough to get caught.  I have the weirdest luck ever, I swear...
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 04:41:26 pm »

My biggest problem in catching Goblins has actually been that my military likes to just wander randomly, often outside of the fort walls for no good reason.  There's no meeting zones out there, and the outdoors meeting zone is well away from the outer walls, so I can only assume they do it to piss me off.  Animals seem to do that a lot too.  The last ambush, some idiot dear fawn wandered outside and revealed the ambush, so I figured I'd have minus one idiot deer and plus 12 Gobbos.  Instead, one of my military's champions decided that this was a fine time to go commune with nature and started to head outside.  In desperation, I activated his squad and set his patrol route well away from outdoors, but to no avail.  Only 4 Gobbos survived long enough to get caught.  I have the weirdest luck ever, I swear...

This is a major and EXTREMELY frustrating bug I'm noticing in several areas.

I think that with the way rooms are defined now, there is a bug where the walls are included as "tiles" inside rooms, but when a dwarf wants to stand on that tile, and finds it blocked, they will then try to stand on an adjacent tile, instead.

Thanks to a lack of sanity checks, this will cause dwarves to actually think that the closest tile to the one they want to stand in is OUTSIDE YOUR FORT, and will rush outside to conduct meetings with people who are inside even when outside is forbidden, it is several hundred steps away when they were already INSIDE THE ROOM, or anything else.

For some odd reason, once this has started, they MUST stand in their pathed-to tile, they don't stop even when you activate and deactivate them.  The only thing that stops them is locking a door in front of them, watching them slam face-first into it, then hoping that they re-path to something sane, or that you have given them over-riding commands.

For that reason, doors are like dakka, you never have enough doors.  One of the things I'm learning is that doors are a solution to almost any problem, INCLUDING magma.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 04:46:36 pm »

Or you can just expand your outer walls so far from anything you actually use that they'll never path to a tile outside your outer walls.  I opted for that this time and expanded the outer walls of Gearholes to the southeast.
Sanity is for the weak.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 05:01:16 pm »

Ah yes, I meant to type that, but apparently forgot as I got caught up in recalling the frustration.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 05:23:17 pm »

Well, I noticed that if you forbid all doors to the dwarven core (read: their beer stockpile), the gobs will freeze and not do anything until they get bored and leave. If you have a military dwarf out there, the gobs will try to attack him if he's within range until they call off the siege and go into full blown retreat.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31
Pages: 1 [2]