Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Quick Broken Creature Question.  (Read 883 times)

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quick Broken Creature Question.
« on: March 14, 2010, 12:15:00 am »

Hey guys, 1st post and all, I'm Geti, 17 years old from New Zealand, modding/making games for quite a while now (mostly Cortex Command, on the modding front), and just got into modding DF. I've been tinkering, and learning what's what, and now I'm laying down a small universe of my own, based partially on the works of Arne Jansson, and partially from my own mind (but with a lot of his influence), and the DF vanilla universe. Info here if you wish. Oh, also, titan concept here, but I've been lazy with the other art (and I suppose I can, due to the whole ascii thing). Now, my problem:

My lindworms are broken ;-; They gen in the world, and work happily and start wars (though everyone seems to hate them) but when you play them, DF seems to think they're a creature, not a sapient being, and doesn't let you set any thing in the prefs menu. If you guys could have a look at the code behind it and the entity, that would be good.
Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)
If you could help me get to the root of this I'd be pretty grateful.

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Broken Creature Question.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:10:27 am »

Sup Geti! Well, I looked into your raws, they seem to be in perfect order. Here's some questions to pinpoint them more:
-did you put them in a separate file, or did you graft them into an existing file? (meaning the entity in the default entity file and so on)
-did you regen the world?
-did you try putting this in a freshly installed vanilla DF?
In the meantime I'll try to see if I can make it work in my laptop.
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 05:38:29 am »

After deleting the coatmail entry and the whiskers body part (I take you did add those to your body file?), they work fine for me. Try regenerating the world as carriontrooper suggested.

Incidentally, everybody hates the lindworms because they're baby snatchers.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:22:19 pm »

After deleting the coatmail entry and the whiskers body part (I take you did add those to your body file?), they work fine for me.
Incidentally, everybody hates the lindworms because they're baby snatchers.
I have been regenning the worlds every time i make a modification, and yes i made the whiskers body part, my issue isn't them not appearing but not being able to assign labours.. I get a "This beast cannot work" on their pref screen..
-did you put them in a separate file, or did you graft them into an existing file? (meaning the entity in the default entity file and so on)
-did you regen the world?
-did you try putting this in a freshly installed vanilla DF?
In the meantime I'll try to see if I can make it work in my laptop.
Hey carriontrooper :D
yes, new files for both of them, creature_mythical.txt and entity_mythical.txt respectively, have been regenning the world and its in vanilla DF except for a few item and body mods (all mine and for this though). I might try entirely vanilla DF.

If it is the whiskers, I wonder why.. I'll need to redefine them as left and right whiskers anyway, but I will try removing them.
Oh, also related, they have both arms and legs, even though they are meant to walk on their arms. Is this related to ARMS_STANCE?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:57:23 pm »

You probably haven't messed with the body tokens yet, if the whiskers are the problem.  Relevant part of the wiki.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:33 pm »

Odd, then. I was able to see the pref screen and access the labor lists just fine. Whiskers, no matter how they are implemented, shouldn't impact that, and neither should the cloakmail. The only thing I did differently was that I added them to the default files for quick testing.

I just tried again, with a quick creation of whiskers, and the lindworms still work as expected. I changed a fisherworm to a hunter, and off he went to kill hoary marmots. They should work just like dwarves the way they are in the first post.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:04:53 am »

Hmm. Time to migrate the mod raws to a fresh DF then I suppose. Will post results, be nice to get to the bottom of this though <_<
I have messed with the body tokens, the whiskers are attaching fine. I'll look into it.
Anyone know about the ARMS_STANCE thing?

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 04:09:04 am »

Oh goddamnit. Just wiped my data objects and let it regen fresh and viola, working lindworms. I thought it was fishy that it thought there were duplicates. >_< Will do that more often in the future, cleaned up a lot of stuff. Anyway, fixed and working.
Oh, also, as a sidenote, just played as a modded titan civ for a bit and apparently they're bosses at digging and fighting. destroyed the first seige happily, with two of them.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:13 am »

Anyone know about the ARMS_STANCE thing?

If I'm reading you correctly, you probably want to use HUMANOID_ARMLESS in place of HUMANOID, and then add ARMS_STANCE, yes. That should result in a creature that uses its legs and its upper arms to move about, while still being able to use its "hands".
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:24:17 pm »

Sweet, clears everything up.
Thanks again for all the help, should have cleared out my data objects far sooner..