Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism  (Read 10102 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 01:34:43 pm »

Assuming you can keep them from tantruming and destroying the levers, what do you plan to do about the inevitable spawning of dozens upon dozens of noble-spawned children?

Their rooms keep them happy and they also get happy thoughts from chatting with each other. They don't tantrum even when I ignore mandates.

And the really clever part is that the hammerer keeps the population under control!  :D

Yes, the hammerer is locked in there too.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:47 pm »

Hehehe, nice. To be even more self-serving, you could enlist all the nobility's children as royal guard.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 02:30:26 pm »

I was just having issues setting up a repeater to work properly, and just when I was about to give up on it I got some nobles migrating in.

Sooooo, I went to revise my repeater room so that its instead a fortified vault, locking the nobles in that room, along with the hammerer, where they can grow their own food and drink from a well, and so they're always there to pull the lever to activate the bridge trap.

Its just a pair of bridges that alternate, dumping goblins and caravans into a pit. From there I can either flush them down into a splattering pit or use them for target and pummeling practice for my military. The trap itself is entirely non-lethal. The first part that is, with the bridges.

I've also been considering an animal blender for the goblins but haven't quite worked out how to recover all of the goblinite from the blender while keeping the animals still inside the blender.

I have swarms of elephants, hippos, giant olms, tame fire imps, dogs, horses, wolves, and yes even kittens. All in a tiny pit. OF DOOM.  :D

Once I figure out a good mechanism to do that where I can blend the goblins and then dump the remains for sorting through without also releasing all the animals I'll transfer them from their tiny holding pit, which is just a dried out pond, into the blender. But for now they're staying in their dried out pond for storage to help save my FPS.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 05:48:05 am »

Assuming you can keep them from tantruming and destroying the levers, what do you plan to do about the inevitable spawning of dozens upon dozens of noble-spawned children?

Their rooms keep them happy and they also get happy thoughts from chatting with each other. They don't tantrum even when I ignore mandates.

And the really clever part is that the hammerer keeps the population under control!  :D

So the hammerer will choose to hammer someone he can path to if there is no way to reach the 'criminal' ?  I always thought it was just random.  That opens up a whole new line of noble accident ideas with hammerer pits...
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 06:28:48 am »

So the hammerer will choose to hammer someone he can path to if there is no way to reach the 'criminal' ?  I always thought it was just random.  That opens up a whole new line of noble accident ideas with hammerer pits...

I don't think it works that way. In my current fort, I exiled my former mayor and his wife to an isolated hermit fortress surrounded on all four sides by walls. The next two criminals in the fort were my former mayor and his wife. Neither of them were punished, and no other dwarf suffered injury. The punishments remained unresolved until the mayor and his wife died of old age (dwarves modded to live 10 years).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 10:09:31 am »

A non-noble dwarf is randomly chosen to be punished whenever a mandate is ignored. The hammerer of course can only hammer anyone he can reach, so the only possible dwarves who can be hammered are the children of the count and countess. The other dwarves who avoid punishment get happy thoughts from avoiding dwarven "justice."

Everyone else outside of the vault is completely safe. But if the dice roll against one of the children of the nobles, the hammerer goes to work...   :D

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2010, 11:02:59 am »

I just had a thought! you could have a hammerer powered repeater! set up like a goblin repeater and somehow get the hammerer back there and the nobles pissed off and SHABAM! automated traps powered by dwarven justice!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2010, 11:23:15 am »

I just had a thought! you could have a hammerer powered repeater! set up like a goblin repeater and somehow get the hammerer back there and the nobles pissed off and SHABAM! automated traps powered by dwarven justice!
I read that after having read most of the aforementioned NSFW topic. Things... didn't quite add up to the proper sum.

Fortunately, I brought enough
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for everyone!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2010, 11:57:22 am »

I much prefer the idea of kitten powered death traps. Use a creature based repeater, and toss a kitten into there to trigger it.

However as this is somewhat unreliable, as the cat could just die of old age at a very inconvenient time, and because I have an excess of nobles, I decided to go with the vault approach and levers.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2010, 12:25:11 pm »

I'm doing this for my current fortress. My nobles are locked away in a vault underground, isolated from the rest of the fortress. They have a well, a farm, and their own tiny but lavish bedroom and dining rooms. I've used dwarf manager so that they will farm their own crops. As punishment for being nobles they don't get booze, only water from the well. They also are only allowed to ever eat the same food. I hope they like strawberries!

I can just see it
Urist McJunior: What we avin fo dinnah mum?
Urist Mcmum: Strawberries..
Urist McJunior: Awwww a'gain?
Mcmum: Wait and for dessert e'll have a DEAD RAT!
Mcjunior: Heck yes.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »

I read that after having read most of the aforementioned NSFW topic. Things... didn't quite add up to the proper sum.

Fortunately, I brought enough
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
for everyone!
I am so glad I am dense enough to not completely understand the joke.

And no, that's not an invitation to explain the joke.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2010, 03:49:08 pm »

You know, I never thought of it before, but now I can't help but imagine my hammerers running up to the offending dwarf and shouting "Stop! It's hammertime!" And then pummeling them while singing the related song, only stopping when it's finished. It would certainly explain the mortality rate.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2010, 03:52:20 pm »

You know, I never thought of it before, but now I can't help but imagine my hammerers running up to the offending dwarf and shouting "Stop! It's hammertime!" And then pummeling them while singing the related song, only stopping when it's finished. It would certainly explain the mortality rate.
That thought, combined with the aforementioned hammerer-powered repeater, made me have a thought.

New dwarven siege weapon: Hammerers launching dwarves at enemies. With their hammers.

The most efficient mode of transportation dwarven kind has to offer.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

I was thinking of a rapid-fire crossbow that shoots hammers/hammerers.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9