Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism  (Read 10075 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noble breeding and the inevitability of nepotism
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 11:52:47 pm »

...aaaaand now I'm imagining an ancient, wrinkly, leather-skinned she-dwarf going up to a mini dwarf and saying "I hope you brought your pick, because I've got a shaft that needs digging."

ewwwwww.
STOP HURTING MY MIND.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 11:53:50 pm »

Don't forget cradle-robbing goes both ways in this game.  A 100-year-old female can start a relationship with a 2-year-old boy, and wind up marrying him almost as soon as he hits 12 years old if they have enough time spent bonding together, and children often have time for bonding.

edit: responding to Don Blake:

Then why do Humans have 12 years old, as well?

Humans in this game also have no adolescence and reproduce by spores, no?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:12 pm »

...aaaaand now I'm imagining an ancient, wrinkly, leather-skinned she-dwarf going up to a mini dwarf and saying "I hope you brought your pick, because I've got a shaft that needs digging."

ewwwwww.
STOP HURTING MY MIND.

I'm finding that when reading the DF forums I've grown accustomed to having a bucket of brain bleach under my chair.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 12:00:45 am »

ewwwwww.
STOP HURTING MY MIND.

I'm finding that when reading the DF forums I've grown accustomed to having a bucket of brain bleach under my chair.
Wal-Mart doesn't sell Brain Bleach so I'm not so lucky.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 01:16:09 am »

ewwwwww.
Knowing dwarves, he would probably immediately channel the ground out from underneath her and happily walk away while she starved in a hole.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 01:18:39 am »

ewwwwww.
Knowing dwarves, he would probably immediately channel the ground out from underneath her and happily walk away while she starved in a hole.

or so you'd think, but then, just before she gives in to starvation, you'd get this message;

"Urist McUgly has given birth to a boy!"
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 05:20:38 am »

If you think this is bad, you're forgetting the goblin fortress thread...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mr. Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Be afraid beautiful people, be very afraid....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 10:54:21 am »

Quick, someone push the self destruct button before things get worse!
"But doctor, wouldn't that cause a parabolic destabilization of the fission singularity?"

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 11:32:03 am »

If you think this is bad, you're forgetting the goblin fortress thread...

That's when I started keeping brain bleach nearby. oh... THE HORROR.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 02:06:41 pm »

You're all forgetting, and I refuse to acknowledge that this works any other way:
Dwarves mate by spores. I pray that doesn't require much physical contact.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

Don't you know that civ species have special spore-protection that prevents them from getting pregnant until they are married?

There is a special spore-sac alignment ritual that goes along with marriage, and yes, that does involve PLENTY of intimate contact. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 02:18:49 pm »

Interesting! ( Sphalerite's theory, not all the disgusting mating conversation :[ )

Makes a whole bunch of sense. Consort killing certainly sounds like the best solution for a populous fort; personally I just keep the child cap at an absolute of 1. It allows you to actually be fond of the little tyke for his uniqueness. I guess also there's always recruiting every noble kid into the military/guard/royal guard when they grow up.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 02:33:20 pm »

I have now managed to put the countess-consort in suspended animation.  Amusingly, the baby she was carrying at the time is also suspended with her.

I will be very interested in seeing if being stuck airborne will prevent the baby from growing into a child.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 02:43:21 pm »

There is a special spore-sac alignment ritual that goes along with marriage, and yes, that does involve PLENTY of intimate contact.

someone should mod the spore-sac to be a body part...

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 02:51:57 pm »

An active military defense would fix all of this. Mod in orks, dont ever use traps besides a few cage traps and use military dwarves to repel every siege! My fort populations are always well controlled because every siege i lose half my military and every child is viewed as meat for the meat grinder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9