Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Why does it take so goddamn long for dwarves to take a drink?  (Read 1668 times)

madman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why does it take so goddamn long for dwarves to take a drink?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 08:02:34 am »

if booze could flow (as I suspect it might in the upcoming version) I am totally going to fill a multi level cistern with it and do all sorts fo fun stuff. <snip>
You forgot the beer driven computer!
Quote from: bluea
Compilers are Dwarves with the beards abstracted away.
They can pull completely amazing maneuvers, yet manage to die of thirst in the river.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 08:07:40 am »

Whats your FPS?  I'm going to say 10? 

When mine drops below 30 breaks and drinks just start to take ages.  I'd say start spiking the pets, turn off temp and weather and see if that helps. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 08:47:15 am »

Whats your FPS?  I'm going to say 10? 

spiking the pets

Easier said than done, I once killed a king by doing that  :P
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 11:05:12 am »

if booze could flow (as I suspect it might in the upcoming version) I am totally going to fill a multi level cistern with it and do all sorts fo fun stuff. <snip>
You forgot the beer driven computer!

that's why I put in that "examples include, but are not limited to" clause. It wasn't forgotten, merely left out with a thousand other ideas for the sake of brevity.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 11:10:32 am »

if booze could flow (as I suspect it might in the upcoming version) I am totally going to fill a multi level cistern with it and do all sorts fo fun stuff.

examples include, but are not limited to;

You forgot one - pump the booze through a J-bend and make a beer volcano. Stripper factory optional but highly recommended.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »

burning drowning elves

Hehehe. That's about the dwarfiest thing I've ever heard if I understand the meaning of Dwarfy correctly. It's got alcohol, likely an elaborate construction operated by a lever, magma, and elves being burned and drowned at the same time! This in itself is a huge a huge advance for dwarven culture. Imagine the engravings.

Someone should ask toady if we can fill a sealed room with alcohol or other liquids in the coming version. Someone besides me. Also they should ask if carp can swim in booze and can elves swim in it?
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 12:33:08 pm »

Someone should ask toady if we can fill a sealed room with alcohol or other liquids in the coming version. Someone besides me. Also they should ask if carp can swim in booze and can elves swim in it?
I'm pretty sure that the answer to that is still no.  There is some sort of mechanism where molten globs of material can coalesce into items that can be melted down into bars, but that's different from liquid flow, which is hard-coded to be just water and magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 12:43:17 pm »

I thought I saw him saying something about vomit and blood coalescing as well, but I could be wrong. I'll look for it and post if I find it.

Edit: Found it. It's on the wiki for df2010, but it's not what I thought it was.  It only says small amounts of blood or other materials can accumulate in an area. so we might end up with globs of blood, or globs of beer or something, but no actual flow. Either way, I expect beer flow to be released eventually.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:51:10 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 01:27:47 pm »

As far as I know, in the next version, all liquids other than water and magma are tracked only as "spatter". They do not acculmulate and flow around like water and magma do, they just cover things. I have never seen Toady even react positively to the idea of other liquids acting like liquids due to major performance concerns and complications when those liquids could potentially mix with each other.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 02:40:35 pm »

Out of curiosity I once popped open DC just as a dwarf I was watching began taking a drink. Although with sleeping and eating, if you set their hunger or tired-ness scores to 1, they'll be fresh and chipper the second you unpause, with drinking even if you drop their thirst from 60,000 to 1, they will continue drinking for weeks. Dwarves don't just drink beer, they have to experience it.
Pages: 1 [2]