Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why does it take so goddamn long for dwarves to take a drink?  (Read 1669 times)

Lost Requiem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Fur Affinity

I've watched them, and I've counted the dates. 1 week. 2 weeks. 10 weeks. Some dwarves take an eternity to take a simple drink, it's amazing anything ever gets done in the fortress. I've seen a dwarf chomp down a lavish meal and be back in his workshop before the tax collector knows someone ate at his table, but when it comes to taking a drink, they might as well have a debilitating injury.
Lost's sanctuary for Lolis.
Quest Complete! 41/31

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why does it take so goddamn long for dwarves to take a drink?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 09:51:10 pm »

This is why all of my forts are dry; after all, what's the downside? Afaik, they just take breaks more often (just draft/undraft them at the cost of a bad thought if they have no military skills) and they never get the good drink happy thought. Not a problem if you have a legendary dinning room and you can always have a forbin stockpile of booze in case of a tantrum spiral.

Using a well on the other hand takes less than 10 turns (possibly just one? I forget) if the well's bucket has water in it. Otherwise you have to wait all of 50 turns while they lower and raise the well's bucket, and that's if the well's shaft is several z-levels deep. Much more efficient.

edit: Typo
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:18:21 pm by Olith McHuman »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 09:53:23 pm »

Dwarves will go through alcohol withdrawal.  They will get bad thoughts when they don't have access to alcohol, and will get progressively slower until they move at a snail's pace.

This will continue until they get more booze.

Ghavrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:56:47 pm »

Granted, they drink like once a month.

Alternatively, they metabolize so quickly while they're drinking that they have to drink an enormous amount to raise their blood alcohol.

Alternatively, their metabolism is normal but their blood is approximately 170 proof.

Alternatively, they forget how to drink and have to relearn how while they're drinking.

Alternatively, there's a hidden drinking skill and it's only the low-level dwarves who take a long tim-

[Ghavrel cancels post: dangerous mental terrain]
Ramps in DF are these sort of hyperdimensional monstrosities capable of allowing you to walk upwards in whatever direction seems plausible at the time

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 09:58:12 pm »

They take so long because they not only drink the booze, but dip their beards in it. They make sure every last wisker is thouroughly soaked and in its place. Only once they are completely satisfied do they take their drink and move on. As to why dwarves who are sober take so long, not only are they sober, but their massive beards are frayed beyond belief and they must take constant breaks in order to catch their breath.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »

Dwarves don't actually drink. They perform an advanced form of "Osmosis". That's why they can drain an entire barrel in a single sitting; they climb in the barrel and marinate in the beer for as long as it takes to soak through their skin. the beer also is soaked up through their beard, a slightly faster process. This is why it takes some dwarves longer than others; those with longer beards consume more beer through their beards, and thusly do not need to take as much in through their skin.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:51:00 pm »

Dwarves treat drinking booze like the Japanese treat their tea ceremonies.  It's an elegant and delicate process, an art form that's just as important for those watching the drinker as it is for the drinker.  It helps establish their position in society as well.  Nobles, for instance, are capable of drinking without spilling even a single drop of delicious alcohol.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:16:17 pm »

Oh god, I want alcohol materials to spill on the floor of my booze stockpile, FPS issues be damned!

Imagine the 5 holy liquids of DF: blood, booze, vomit, water, magma.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:54:59 pm »

Oh god, I want alcohol materials to spill on the floor of my booze stockpile, FPS issues be damned!

Imagine the 5 holy liquids of DF: blood, booze, vomit, water, magma.

Ah yes, if only booze could flow. Create a high pressure booze cannon, strategically place an everburrning ligintie bin, and boom! Instant goblin elf roasts marinated with booze for everyone!

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 12:21:05 am »

if booze could flow (as I suspect it might in the upcoming version) I am totally going to fill a multi level cistern with it and do all sorts fo fun stuff.

examples include, but are not limited to;

Teaching dwarves to swim.

Drowning elves

burning drowning elves

making giant dwarven cocktails of mixed liquors

making a booze moat

making a booze waterfall hooked up to a pumpstack

intentionally flood a fortress with beer

marinate elves in wine for an extended period of time before adding a fire imp to the mix and cooking on high until well done

dumping whiskey into a magma pipe, a virtual shot sacrificed to Armok

mixing booze, blood, and vomit in order to make rotgut.

etc.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 01:06:01 am »

making giant dwarven cocktails of mixed liquors
Tragically, Silverskulls next fortress was overrun as everyone cheerfully ran into the catacombs to recieve their promised Dwarven zombies.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 01:25:22 am »

This is the best worst idea ever.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 01:28:37 am »

Thank you? I'm sorry?

MacaqueAttack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 01:33:22 am »

Thank you? I'm sorry?

Assuming real world physics, the magma will ignite the whiskey, with a fire shooting up into the whiskey reservoir, making it explode and horribly maiming all dwarves in the area.

So, you're welcome.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 01:35:26 am »

I was planning on using floodgates and levers to do this, but that way would be more 'Fun'. I think that's gonna be my new way to get rid of nobles if it works like that.

As of now, though, fire doesn't go up z levels. It might by the time flowing beer gets implemented though. We shall see.
Pages: [1] 2