Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rest in peace, Tháb Thomodrismal  (Read 2264 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rest in peace, Tháb Thomodrismal
« on: December 08, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

Tháb Thomodrismal, hunter, has passed away after colliding to death with an obstacle. As far as we can determine, he was chasing after a mountain goat, trying to catch it with his bare hands, and ran headlong into a cliff.

Tháb Thomodrismal died the way he lived - in a breathtakingly stupid way. He will be remembered for his unparalleled zeal and tenacity in his work, and for his unparalleled lack of judgment.

We will remember Tháb Thomodrismal fondly. He was a man who liked to set the bar high, and I think we can all agree he set the bar to get in the hall of fame of stupid deaths high indeed.

(And if one of you people who actually can write want to write a story about Tháb, please do so.   :))

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Mithaldu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rest in peace, Tháb Thomodrismal
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »

he was a man? i think you meant dwarf.  ;)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »

How the hell do you manage to die from running into a wall, without a titan/creature smacking you hard enough to make you hit it?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 08:44:00 pm »

This brings back memories of the brave and mighty Asmel Dumatfoker (i'm serious) who fell 3 z-levels and bled to death whilst trying to kill small animals with his bare hands. May he rest in peace.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:23:00 pm »

I had a dwarf die of starvation once, while stuck in a flooding chamber.  This one fills vertically, with five squares on the right side of the room.  The left side holds the drains.  For some reason, this idiot was on break while the room was being flooded.  I was too busy watching a tantrumming clothier kill people..  The clothier broke the lever that stops the flow of water.  The only thing left to do was to open the floodgates to the floor bars that act as the drains..  He couldn't make it against the flow of water, and starved to death.

Well, no, never happened.  But it would be about what it would take to top that idiot.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>How the hell do you manage to die from running into a wall, without a titan/creature smacking you hard enough to make you hit it?</STRONG>

"colliding with an obstacle" is the death announcement you get from falling off a cliff. from the sounds of things, the dwarf wrestled the goat off a ledge

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:24:00 pm »

I had some moron (through a moron move of my own) started wrestling a goat next to my fortress entrance. He threw the goat into a pond. Then went in after it. He had no swimming skill.

Results: One dead goat. One dead dwarf floating next to it.

I guess I accidentally enabled his hunting through some unknown means. A bunch of other dwarves had the same problem somehow. I guess I was just weird when setting skills.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 08:29:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chariot:
<STRONG>

"colliding with an obstacle" is the death announcement you get from falling off a cliff. from the sounds of things, the dwarf wrestled the goat off a ledge</STRONG>

That explains it! Sadly that makes his death less stupid. But still clumsy!

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mithaldu:
<STRONG>he was a man? i think you meant dwarf.   :(

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 01:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Devastator:
<STRONG>I had a dwarf die of starvation once, while stuck in a flooding chamber.  This one fills vertically, with five squares on the right side of the room.  The left side holds the drains.  For some reason, this idiot was on break while the room was being flooded.  I was too busy watching a tantrumming clothier kill people..  The clothier broke the lever that stops the flow of water.  The only thing left to do was to open the floodgates to the floor bars that act as the drains..  He couldn't make it against the flow of water, and starved to death.

Well, no, never happened.  But it would be about what it would take to top that idiot.</STRONG>

More likely to die of thirst because of repeated "urist dwarvenname cancels drink: dangerous terrain"

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2007, 01:10:00 am »

How do you die of thirst while drowning?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »

By putting the water in your lungs rather than in your stomache.  :)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 04:49:19 am »

I had a dwarf trying to kill some critters near a chasm opening, and he tried to wrestle with a batman. He lunged at the batman, who flew aside, and fell into the chasm. Poor chap.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:12 am »

I've had dwarves die from running into walls before.
I think its a side effect of being highly Agile with low toughness.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 01:24:41 pm »

I've had dwarves charge off cliffs, in ponds, chasms and in one event, 2 champions into the HFS on numerous occasions but dwarves pulling a lever related to a drawbridge, then using the delay to walk onto said drawbridge in order to get smashed against a wall is my current leading cause of frustrating deaths.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: [1] 2