Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: lowering the number of wrestlers in a siege.  (Read 1429 times)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lowering the number of wrestlers in a siege.
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:24 pm »

how can i get invaders not to have so meny wrestlers.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: lowering the number of wrestlers in a siege.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:08:16 pm »

Kill 'em for a few years so they bring more Hammer Lords and Bowmen.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:26:35 pm »

No way to do this, sadly.

You can limit weapons, but wrestlers will always come. It's a shame, really.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:27:35 pm »

I really wish it could be done, because this is one of my pet peeves. Wrestling is overpowered. The simple fact is, an untrained man with an axe can do some serious damage to an unarmed professional wrestler unless the wrestler grabs his weapon. In an army, wrestlers are the last ting you would want. Considering the feel of pseudo-realism that Toady has maintained with such things as the material system and combat models in the upcoming versions, I am really quite disappointed at this breach of plausability.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Ramirez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:37:55 pm »

To avoid them having so many wrestlers I found that giving them more weapons means that proportionally you get less wrestlers. If they have weapons of every type wrestler squads are a lot rarer.

On the balance PoV wrestling aids in dodging as well as unarmed grappling I believe, it's basically a jack-of-all-trades combat skill. You should train all of your melee soldiers in wrestling before moving onto real weapons (it helps reduce sparring injuries, in addition to how you can train armour user and shield user skills alongside it, reducing injuries further).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:00:14 pm »

Yeah, but be careful, they still gain wrestler after you start training them in it, just because of dodging (or if another dwarf wants to wrestle against them) all my champions are either marskdwarves or wrestlers because I can't get them up to rank 11 in axe/hammer/whatever before they hit it with wrestler, since I let them go up to rank 7 in wrestler before giving them weapons.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:25:14 pm »

I really wish it could be done, because this is one of my pet peeves. Wrestling is overpowered.

Y'what? It's invaluable and trains very fast, but even a legendary wrestler isn't really a match for an above-average soldier with a decent weapon. Look at how poorly giants and titans do in combat.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 04:26:06 pm »

giants and titans do in combat.
This, I feel, is more due to how their attacks arent buffed in the raws rather than wrestling's weakness (and the fact that there's just one titan and usually a whole squad of armed dwarves). 10 or so champion wrestlers can take down a 40+ armed goblin seige happily in most cases, I'd call it slightly overpwered. However, I suppose that depends on what weapons the goblins are using.. and I'm no expert, just working from observations.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »

This, I feel, is more due to how their attacks arent buffed in the raws rather than wrestling's weakness (and the fact that there's just one titan and usually a whole squad of armed dwarves). 10 or so champion wrestlers can take down a 40+ armed goblin seige happily in most cases, I'd call it slightly overpwered. However, I suppose that depends on what weapons the goblins are using.. and I'm no expert, just working from observations.

I'm talking about a single armed player in Adventure mode versus a giant. Hell, I've taken down a Titan with a single spearelf with no experience other than what it was created with. I know it's not a perfect comparison, but they often have a fair amount of skill and the low attack damage is largely meaningless compared to the collossal (ho-ho) size bonus they get.
As for seiges, those goblins are not exactly top-class fighters. I don't know how skilled they are in their weapons/armour but I'd be surprised if it was even as high as Proficient. I wouldn't bet 10 Legendary wrestlers could take on 10 Accomplished weapon-users. You just can't strangle them before they get a good hit in. 

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 04:50:51 pm »

I'm talking about a single armed player in Adventure mode versus a giant. Hell, I've taken down a Titan with a single spearelf with no experience other than what it was created with. I know it's not a perfect comparison, but they often have a fair amount of skill and the low attack damage is largely meaningless compared to the collossal (ho-ho) size bonus they get.
As for seiges, those goblins are not exactly top-class fighters. I don't know how skilled they are in their weapons/armour but I'd be surprised if it was even as high as Proficient. I wouldn't bet 10 Legendary wrestlers could take on 10 Accomplished weapon-users. You just can't strangle them before they get a good hit in. 

According to Dwarf Companion, these goblins actually appear to all have 4 skills which are all at "Novice" level - Wrestler, Armor User, Shield User, and a weapon skill.  They have this weapon skill even if they are wrestlers, which I assume means they were supposed to be swordsmen, but they just didn't get assigned a weapon, so were wrestlers, instead.

Incidentally, the weapon lords were rank 8 except for a few of the "leader" ones, which were higher.

Apparently, they suck harder than you thought...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:34 pm »

That'll teach me to be such an optimist. God, what stats must the kobolds have? "Novice crawler"? "Dabbling respiration"?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:59:08 pm »

Well, they had to have between 2000 xp (minimum for a single attribute), and 4500 xp (minimum for second attribute).

Novice is 500 xp, so this is apparently set up so that they have just barely enough to have any gains at all.

I wonder if there's any way to mod how much experience seigers start with?

Seiges would be so much more awesome if, instead of waves of 100 gobbos wrapped in oh-so-meltable goblinite, that get dispatched by 4 champions who gained all their levels before killing a single goblin, they could send in 20 near-elite goblins and a goblin elite that truly deserves that title.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:06:42 am »

God, what stats must the kobolds have? "Novice crawler"? "Dabbling respiration"?
Oh god I laughed so hard at this I don't even know why :)

According to Dwarf Companion, these goblins actually appear to all have 4 skills which are all at "Novice" level - Wrestler, Armor User, Shield User, and a weapon skill.  They have this weapon skill even if they are wrestlers, which I assume means they were supposed to be swordsmen, but they just didn't get assigned a weapon, so were wrestlers, instead.

Incidentally, the weapon lords were rank 8 except for a few of the "leader" ones, which were higher.

This would explain it. Retract previous statement.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 09:25:16 am »

I wonder if there's any way to mod how much experience seigers start with?

I've heard people suggest giving them [DEFENDER]. This will of course cause them to appear in the spoilereds as well. I'm not even sure if it will work since it's possible that the extra experience is only applied to the ones spawning in the chambers.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:46 am »

If you left the appropriate weapons laying around outside I wonder if they would pick up the appropriate weapon for whatever skill they had if they arrived on the map weaponless?
Pages: [1] 2