Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When do you abandon your fort?

When a significant portion of the population is killed
When every dwarf is dead
If you screw up your layout
Low FPS
Diplomacy (pissing off humans or elves without meaning to)
Boredom
Other (please specify)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: When do you throw in the towel?  (Read 3684 times)

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: When do you throw in the towel?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 06:44:02 pm »

Probably related to the FPS death, but mine's more laptop heat-death frustration. Spend a season busy work work working .... forget SESO .... sudden shutdown. After the fifth or sixth time it sets me back a few months, I've typically just started from scratch.

Happily, d19/2 has vastly better performance on this front. Current fort is in yr 13. Nothing indicates I'll have the same issues as earlier builds thus far (perhaps in the far future of the fort). I'm hoping to keep Rockmachine active till I've got the new version to toy with.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 06:49:42 pm »

Playing in a desert biome really helps my FPS. Although sometimes the FPS drain comes from poor traffic flow and I always try to make it so that the pathing causes as little lag as possible.

Peformance should definetly be better in the next release.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 07:14:36 pm »

Ugh. I can barely ever get past the first year, as I can't keep up with immigrants and micro-ing 25-40 dwarves is painful.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 07:17:48 pm »

Maybe you're producing too much stuff/gaining wealth too quickly? I don't generally get migrants until the following spring of embark (sometimes I get migrants the first winter) and have no trouble with the influx.

Maybe its just our different playstyles.

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 07:33:05 pm »

I prefer playing with small populations, so sometimes I quit if I get a huge migration wave that I don't want to deal with.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 07:45:11 pm »

It's not boredom, but rather his close cousin, which causes me to quit most of my forts: irritation.  Sooner or later, some Dorf does something astronomically stupid (yeah, par for course, I know), and it ends up being the annoyance that breaks my patience.  Whether it's the idiot who immures himself repeatedly (that problem stopped coming up after I learned about how to exploit LIFO), the dumb berk who won't stop trailing my mayor every season because he spent all of last season trailing the mayor bitching about not having work (you don't have work because you won't DO work, you tard-monkey!), the brave champion who figures that the best way to dodge an attacking enemy is to leap into the magma pipe (which is why I never let anyone near the magma pipe proper now), or just some random fool going for an impromptu swim when he doesn't know how to swim, the ultimate killer of my forts is always irritation with the Dwarves having anti-survival instincts.
Sanity is for the weak.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 09:55:53 pm »

I prefer playing with small populations, so sometimes I quit if I get a huge migration wave that I don't want to deal with.

This.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:42 pm »

Other:
When I mod in throwing towels.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 11:01:00 pm »

I put in "boredom", but really, the main reason I would quit is I thought of something new to mod in.  It's sort of related to boredom, but it's more productive.

DARN THE NEED TO REGEN WORLDS WHEN ADDING NEW THINGS!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 11:28:52 pm »

This.

+2

It can be tough finding a job for everyone to do sometimes. Because of this, the forts I play for long tend to have large militaries. I also loath seeing a large number of idlers for some reason.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 12:29:05 am »

Since I just play non-modded DF, and have so far only embarked in areas of moderate or less difficulty, I usually get bored, or get an idea for another fortress that I want to play. I'm sure that if I started embarking in more terrifying areas, I'd experience more "fun," but in all honesty, I usually just get to the population cap/mountainhome/stable fortress level and then move on.

I really should mod in Orcs, but I'm not confident in my ability to mod in graphics for them  :-\
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 01:54:02 am »

I get sieged by one of my ten modded civs every season, and as a result I don't get bored. Maybe it'll be the fire imps or great demon spiders next season...

Rather, my dwarves inevitably struggle against the eternal enemy of low FPS.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 02:27:18 am »

This.

+2

It can be tough finding a job for everyone to do sometimes. Because of this, the forts I play for long tend to have large militaries. I also loath seeing a large number of idlers for some reason.

Why not just alter the pop cap?

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 02:54:55 am »

Dwarf Death by ANY reason is fun for me, so I like to try and make unsafe conditions. Typically, I'll eventually get bored in the way that'll make me stop producing, I'll lose track of my long list of "to do" and get content with my fort, and that's when I'll come up with other fort ideas, and the inevitable abandoning so I can try it.

I wish I could cause more war... I'll have to look into modding more civs into the game like darkflagrance mentioned, more war is more fun, and I've ALWAYS got too many dwarves laying around with not enough work so recruiting everybody who isn't working to defend against constant war sounds like all of my problems are suddenly and instantly solved!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2010, 03:08:33 am »

This.

+2

I havent been playing long, but I restarted the most because of emigrant waves and their effect on my play.
I put the cap down to 20 and that really helped.
The only other reasons I have restarted was because I learned something that made me smack my head and rethink my layout, so I started again.Deepest I have made it is 4 years though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3