Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When do you abandon your fort?

When a significant portion of the population is killed
When every dwarf is dead
If you screw up your layout
Low FPS
Diplomacy (pissing off humans or elves without meaning to)
Boredom
Other (please specify)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: When do you throw in the towel?  (Read 3686 times)

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When do you throw in the towel?
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:35:14 pm »

So once you have a decent fort going, when do you stop playing that particular fort?  I personally would like to play every fort until every dwarf is killed, but I usually either get bored, or the fps goes to frustrating levels.  I've managed to pull off some pretty epic stunts by playing to the last dwarf, including losing 5 of my starting dwarves (carp and "clever" waterworks) and being able to build up a decent fort from there.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: When do you throw in the towel?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 04:48:34 pm »

Boredom.  But the boredom is often brought on by low FPS or some disaster happening that kills most of the population while not keeping it interesting enough to rebuild.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:52:34 pm »

I have 3.
Boredom
Low FPS
Too many dead

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:00:51 pm »

90% of the time, my forts succumb to my own realizations that I did something wrong.

the other 10% of the time, my first wave of immigrants leads something horrible to the fort from the nearby chasm, which leaves one, maybe two dwarves huddled in a corner, frightened of their own shadows until they die of starvation.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:21 pm »

So once you have a decent fort going, when do you stop playing that particular fort?  I personally would like to play every fort until every dwarf is killed, but I usually either get bored, or the fps goes to frustrating levels.  I've managed to pull off some pretty epic stunts by playing to the last dwarf, including losing 5 of my starting dwarves (carp and "clever" waterworks) and being able to build up a decent fort from there.

When you have so many cats you can dress up like God. Yes. That would be the fine line being crossed.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:02:42 pm »

Boredom.  But the boredom is often brought on by low FPS or some disaster happening that kills most of the population while not keeping it interesting enough to rebuild.

Pretty much this, plus, as my fort's age I notice just how much space is being wasted and how much more efficient it could have been. So I get real excited about potential new design plans, and get so excited with the idea of a new fort, that i find some way to end the current one.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:08:02 pm »

I'm having an interesting experience of late actually. I've hit mountainhome status (don't have a king though, he was announced as showing up in peasant clothes but I don't see him, unless he hasn't gotten out of his peasant clothes), but if I try to abandon, DF crashes. My population is 200 (raised the cap recently, NEED MOAR MASONS/ENGRAVERS), and I have a military of about ten-fifteen champion wrestlers, the leader having taken out elf and goblin sieges singlehandedly without so much as a light-gray wound, so it's pretty darned boring, and the FPS is very low. I may mod goblins and/or elves to be insanely powerful, who knows.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 05:11:54 pm »

The same here as far as FPS goes. Unless its a direct cause of something I'm doing such as the Big Dig project, of which I'm in the proccess of ramping out the -14th level, almost there!

Theres probably going to be quite a bit of FPS drain even after I switch off speed 0 as I have at least 200,000 stone.

Fun fact: Having at least 200,000 stone and the stockpile record status bieng at lowest possible accuracy makes hitting the stone stockpile screen take 15 minutes or something to load, gah. However, the low FPS that annoys me is when I have low FPS and very little is going on.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »

I can manage FPS. Low dwarves I've never really experienced because I play really carefully, so it's boredom all the way. If I'm bored new ideas just flood in and I end up starting anew while telling myself I'll come back to the old fort. This never happens. I just need project ideas to keep myself going :[

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:27:32 pm »

Boredom is pretty much a common reason for me as well. I tend to get bored when the FPS gets real low.

I have the pop cap at 100 dwarves (although births continue) because I generally have FPS issues. Although with this one, since my pop is now at 99, I'll definetly have a migrant wave soon because my fortress wealth has doubled or more from over 1 mil to over 2 mil since I started the Big Dig.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:54 pm »

Boredom. In fact, I prefer early-game rather than later.

First year is just trying to make a decent living place/survive (depends on surroundings).

Next few are the expansion and first military stuff.

Usually, I just abandon forts that are 5-8 years old. Nobles, sieges... I prefer the uncertainity of early survival rather than meddling with nobles and alive goblinite.

Suprisingly, FPS isn't an issue. My PC is damn old and crappy, so I got used to FPS oscilating from 10 to 30 frames.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:01:47 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »

I've had forts that reach up to 20 years old. It helps to have something to do such as a megaproject.

As far as boredom, its more like what should I do now kind of boredom, but FPS issues can have a big effect on that as well.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »

For me the most common cause of abandonment is when I get a really great idea for something amazing I want to build that the current site won't support.  Usually this occurs after I get bored with the current fortress I'm working on.

Related to this is low FPS.  Often caused by me doing something I shouldn't, like running the drain line for the waterworks out the side of a mountain, resulting in massive permanent FPS drop from the river draining through the valley.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 06:27:31 pm »

For me the most common cause of abandonment is when I get a really great idea for something amazing I want to build that the current site won't support.  Usually this occurs after I get bored with the current fortress I'm working on.

Related to this is low FPS.  Often caused by me doing something I shouldn't, like running the drain line for the waterworks out the side of a mountain, resulting in massive permanent FPS drop from the river draining through the valley.

Yeah, if I could run this at 100fps at all times I'd never play anything else.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 06:40:29 pm »

I'v got an insanely good com, so I never really hit the low FPS mark, and I don't play safe so it's full of "FUN" making it that I only stop playing when the last dwarf dies.   Usualy cause I open the HFS when i ahve 40 dwarves, and 10 military... :D
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2 3