Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Password Breaker  (Read 6776 times)

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
Re: Password Breaker
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 01:47:53 am »

I'm gonna try a brute force hack but all searches lead to bugged pages and things I have to buy.
At this point, if you can't read the posts in the thread, you deserve to pay for it.
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:19 am »

I'm starting to become more suspicious that he doesn't even want this for legitimate purposes. Why else would he ignore valid recommendations that would solve the stated problem, or leave a computer's password lost for two weeks on end? You'd think he would show a little more urgency here.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2010, 03:14:18 am »

What the fuck is wrong with that guy.
As already said - with your average multiple core 2 GHz machine, it's going to take... ages!
Also, I'm very suspicious... this seems hardly legitimate.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2010, 05:52:33 am »

As already said - with your average multiple core 2 GHz machine, it's going to take... ages!

The ~5 seconds to solve his stated problem isn't ages :) I agree it doesn't seem legitimate though.

NSA: Electronic stuff, listening to the whole world's phone conversations, dealing with ungawdly amounts of raw data

Unfortunately for them currently more data than they can process even given they measure resources in acres. (Unless of course they lied about that, which given who they are is plausible)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2010, 06:06:42 am »

The ~5 seconds to solve his stated problem isn't ages :) I agree it doesn't seem legitimate though.

NSA: Electronic stuff, listening to the whole world's phone conversations, dealing with ungawdly amounts of raw data

Unfortunately for them currently more data than they can process even given they measure resources in acres. (Unless of course they lied about that, which given who they are is plausible)

I should've elaborated - Yes, why does he insist to go the hard way when he can use other methods.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Blacken

• Bay Watcher
  • Orange Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2010, 05:08:08 am »

I'm starting to become more suspicious that he doesn't even want this for legitimate purposes. Why else would he ignore valid recommendations that would solve the stated problem, or leave a computer's password lost for two weeks on end? You'd think he would show a little more urgency here.
You're "starting" to?

Shit, I guess I'm "starting" to think water's wet. :p
"There's vermin fish, which fisherdwarves catch, and animal fish, which catch fisherdwarves." - Flame11235

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 06:18:36 am »

You're "starting" to?

Woah. That is some serious shit.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2010, 04:37:34 pm »

You're "starting" to?

Water isn't very wet though, need to add water wetter to make it usefully wet.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

mruther87

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • best driver updater
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2010, 02:48:27 pm »

I forget passwords alot and now I can't do anything for I my computer want's my password to do most things. Anyone have a program that can type A then a and so on.
I really want to play my games.

you better create another account.. :)

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2010, 01:36:52 am »

Why's everyone so annoyed about his purpose being "not so legit".
I say go for it, come back when you have your passwords and newborn grandchildren  :P
(Yes I know it will take alot longer then that, have a sense of humor)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2010, 02:00:54 am »

Actually, it won't. His grandchildren will be long dead by the time the brute forcer gets even close to finishing. By that time, the universe would have become almost a totally lifeless husk. His grandchildren, along with many other people from this age, would become assimilated into the universal meta-intelligence, and become reborn as newborn star-children. Then, it would finish.

In any case, I really don't like passwords. I have three passwords. One is short, for the crazy websites that, for some reason, require short passwords (shorter than 12 characters? Why?). One is medium-length, and one is a high-security password that I use only for my most important things (not that I have a lot of important things; I guess I would use multiple passwords if so). This would already be pretty bad, except there are all these websites that force you to put numbers on your passwords and do these other ludicrous things and arrrrgh

Also, I'm basically computer-illiterate - I don't quite understand how one would go about testing passwords in the first place, but this subject fascinates me. I mean, wouldn't you have to physically type them in? Would you use some sort of floppy disk or CD or something to start in a different thing, and do it that way?

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2010, 02:08:52 am »

Actually, it won't. His grandchildren will be long dead by the time the brute forcer gets even close to finishing. By that time, the universe would have become almost a totally lifeless husk. His grandchildren, along with many other people from this age, would become assimilated into the universal meta-intelligence, and become reborn as newborn star-children. Then, it would finish.
Read the brackets.

And as for testing passwords, pretty much the main way for most, is just doing the equivalent of typing them in. for windows bruteforcing the program copies the file that stores the hashed passwords. A hash is a one-way function, you can turn the password into the hash, but not back again. When windows needs to check your password, instead of trying to turn the hash into the password, it turns the entered password into a hash and sees if they match.
A bruteforcer tries hashing every single possible password to find which hash matches.
This is just for windows passwords though. For websites and stuff you wouldn't have access to the stored hashes so you have to try and submit every possible password. This would be detected really easily and you would be blocked before anything came of it.

99% of actual website passwords being obtained were either the passwords in the database not being hashed, or the hackers stealing a copy of the hash file first.
For MD5 and windows passwords, there are rainbow tables available to speed up the process, with a large amount of data it is possible to find the original password very quickly assuming that the hashes were not salted(I won't explain that process), even without rainbow tables very small passwords can sometimes be found quickly, older versions of windows(<=XP)'s passwords could actually be brute forced quickly, assuming that the password was just lowercase letters. last time I checked it was about 12 hours for a 5 letter password

For encrypted data, the process would most likely require decrypting the whole thing, so it generally isn't possible to brute force it even with small passwords.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:17:18 am by Googolplexed »

aeonmyst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2010, 02:47:40 am »

create a string of random length with random characters

let the random number god do it for you  ;)

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2010, 02:53:19 am »

Then you have to remember it somehow

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2010, 11:53:37 am »

Read the brackets.
I did, but my post was very long and poorly written, sorry. What I meant is that his grandchildren would be reborn, so, in fact, when the password finishes, he would have newborn grandchildren - it's just that they would have died and be "newborn" in a different manner. It was a very weird joke I made, never mind.

About ophhack and such, I don't really understand - wouldn't you need to log in to access the files? Are there ways of bypassing that, like using Linux boot cds or whatnot?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6