Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Has anyone tried DF on a Solid State Drive?  (Read 4336 times)

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has anyone tried DF on a Solid State Drive?
« on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »

For those not in the know, the SDD hard drive is the next leap in computer technology. Though not really a new technology, they've recently become available as primary storage devices. Currently they're quite expensive and somewhat unreliable, but they're incredibly fast. I just built a computer for a friend and used a comp builder's forum for help and they're all raving about the speed and efficiency of SDDs (I would've got him one if not for their problems).

I'm curious if anyone has tried running DF on one, and if so, what kind of performance increase you got.

Spoonfeed

• Bay Watcher
  • ooooooOooooOOOo
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone tried DF on a Solid State Drive?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:14:39 pm »

Thanks for reminding me, was going to do a simple benchmark test of dwarf fortress on an i7 Quad core (2.5 i believe) with dual SSD's in raid(striped), will report back after!

any suggestions for "heavy" fort save files?

very interested to see how it performs, especially with i7's Turbo functionality.
Nil Genericsignature has gone stark raving mad!

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:16:41 pm »

As far as I know it's not the HDD, but the CPU that determines performance. And even if SDD's have a really nice bandwidth it wouldn't really matter that much as there's not much writing that's going on, more just CPU heavy path finding.

If that's not right, can someone explain how a SDD would help?

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:18:16 pm »

DF doesn't need to do much read/write to the hard drive, so a SSD isn't going to bring any real performance boost.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »

Ive a 64gb SSD in my laptop and when running DF from the SSD I see no appreciable difference in FPS, the place I do see a difference however, is when loading up a fort that is in a very large world, it loads much faster from the SSD, but once its running, everything is the same, even opening up the stone section of the stocks list takes appx the same amount of time (I am guessing its retreiving this info from RAM).
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 03:27:38 pm »

I was promised quantum computing by 2010! Science has lied to us!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:48:00 pm »

I've played it straight off of a USB drive, with no noticeable difference aside from the long save/load time.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »

I played it over a VPN link over DSL and as everybody has made mention: No differance between the loading of the world and runtimes. I don't think that DF touches the disk unless saving.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 05:06:17 pm »

I've played it straight off of a USB drive, with no noticeable difference aside from the long save/load time.

Well, you're bottle-necked at the USB connection which is much less efficient than SATAII/III.

gtmattz has the evidence I was looking for. I'm a little disappointed, but I can't say I didn't suspect it. Regarding the stone section, I wouldn't be surprised if it recalculates the number from the CPU every time you open it; RAM shouldn't be that slow at calling a bunch of count++s.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:52:55 pm »

Well, you're bottle-necked at the USB connection which is much less efficient than SATAII/III.

gtmattz has the evidence I was looking for. I'm a little disappointed, but I can't say I didn't suspect it. Regarding the stone section, I wouldn't be surprised if it recalculates the number from the CPU every time you open it; RAM shouldn't be that slow at calling a bunch of count++s.
USB drives are also liable to fail. I lost my USB-fort after only some 5-ish plays.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 06:36:58 pm »

USB drives are also liable to fail. I lost my USB-fort after only some 5-ish plays.

I think you need to buy higher quality USB drives  :D I have been playing DF off my flash drive for a year or so no problems.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:39:18 pm »

I really only ever play DF off my USB. Portability outweighs save times.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 06:28:30 am »

Truth. And that it takes a whole season for DF to copy off a low-bandwidth USB drive. So...many...files...

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 11:09:51 am »

Truth. And that it takes a whole season for DF to copy off a low-bandwidth USB drive. So...many...files...
If you guys would buy really high quality flash drives instead of the ones that are tossed in the bin at your local electronics store (or the ones you buy on ebay for really cheap from China) you would be amazed at how fast some drives are.

I have one from OCZ that gets me anywhere from 45-60MBS versus the 20-35MBS one that i bought in the bargain bin.
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 01:17:10 pm »

VPN you say...
Pages: [1] 2