Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Worlds most stupid weapons.  (Read 14211 times)

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds most stupid weapons.
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2010, 02:44:30 am »

Calling BS.
1) The claim that "OMG, UR IN THE BLAST RADIUS" has always been false. If one would take a Davy, with its max strength warhead, and set it for minimum distance, the crew would get a lethal dose. Of course, why the bloody hell would one do such a thing? Discounting some CMOA worthy final stand. Hypothetically, could one pull the pin on a garden variety fragmentation grenade and cook it off enough so it'd blow a foot away from your face? Sure. Same principle here.

You could easily avoid the 5,000 or so rems it would take to instantly kill someone if you used it properly but even 25 - 50 rems could ruin your life with endless medical complications.
Factually effing inaccurate. Nuclear workers can be exposed to up to fifty rems per year. The only major physiological result of a fifty rem dose all at once is a temporarily depressed white blood cell count. You don't hit LD 50/30 for radiation until between 3 and 4 Sv (300-400 rem). "Yeah you're fucked" starts between 6 and 9 Sv, depending on body size, condition, and speed of exposure.

I might be mixing it up with a different unit but I thought legal limits in most developed countries was more like 5 rems a year and even that would increase your risk of cancer.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 03:11:21 am »

Australian effective dose limits are 20 mSv per year for any five year period, with a maximum per year dose of 50mSv.

Radiation is a Stoichastic thing; ANY radiation increases your chance of cancer. The question is a simply a matter of degree. Keeping the dose low keeps the chance low. If you go over the limit, the government feels it's increased your chance of cancer too much. Of course, the flipside to this is it's possible to get irradiated right up until the point of radiation poisoning with no ill effects resulting. It's just unlikely.

@Duke 2.0; the thing I love about the gun is that it is both clip and chain fed AT THE SAME TIME!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 03:18:23 am »

This is the stupidest weapon.
No this

What's wrong with you people, both of those are totally badass.

I have to agree.
I must point out my picture. Apart from the fact that there are six barrels on such a gun and the fact that every barrel is shooting at the same time, notice the gun flash from the barrels. There are seven. The gun is firing from that little hole in the center.
 Granted it could just be a perspective trick, but I like to think of it this way.

Don't think about it.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:13 am »

Damn you Ein, I just lost an hour.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2010, 08:59:57 am »

Hrm. I think magma cannons are pretty stupid. They keep killing the traders!  ;D
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:53 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least it looks cool...
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 10:33:02 am »

A lot of people seem to be confused.  This is World's Most Stupid Weapons, not World's Most Awesome Weapons.

Anyway, that Klingon sword thing.  Not cool.  Not effective.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2010, 11:00:53 am »

There aren't many weapons that are outright stupid though. Some of the more awesome weapon concepts probably seemed very stupid at the time. Like bombs that hop along the water surface like a stone.

Btw, the RPC is one of the weapons in Cortex Command. It's unsurprisingly ineffective against anything with even minor armor or cover. I've since modified it into ERPPC, or Enhanced Rocket Propelled Plasma Chainsaw, which was a little glitched and began to do loop-de-loops whenever it dug into soil/concrete.Sometimes coming out behind you and slicing your head off.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2010, 11:38:56 am »

Man, I remember one story on the discovery channel about a nuclear reactor that, when all was said and done left more carnage than most people could bear to see. For example, one of the scientists, during the meltdown, desperately tried to push one of the rods back into it's place in the floor, but the rod pushed back and BAM!... the scientist is not only impaled, but pinned to the ceiling.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:27 pm »

Damn you Ein, I just lost an hour.

Happily, all the pages were ones I've read before.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2010, 03:25:08 pm »

The nuke cannon looks like a bad idea to me. Presumably there'd be a massive backlash if that weapon was ever used, right? I mean:
turning a 2 and a half kilometer area into nuclear-powered Mordor
is going to ruffle some feathers, right? Actually destroying and totally removing a chunk of land from the land of the living for however many years is going to cause some seriously widespread unrest.

I'm not questioning its effectiveness anymore than I'd question the effectiveness of breathing, but this looks like a classic 'consequences outweigh the benefits' deal to me.

As a deterrent though? It looks like a good one, I guess, but MAD was a deterrent too, and for a while there there was a good chance that that one wasn't going to cut it, in a very final 'end-of-the-world' way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2010, 03:29:44 pm »

Its range was at times limited to 2000 meters, while the bursting range of its warhead was 2,500 meters

Actually this isn't unusual in it of itself and doesn't alone make it a stupid weapon. The concept of using explosives with a much wider explosive range then it can possibly be launched has been done for many years.

A defensive grenade is a grenade with a greater explosive capacity then you can throw it. If you don't take cover after throwing it, you will get caught in the explosion.

It just means that the device is a defensive weapon. Meant to stop charges against a fortified possition, then as a offensive weapon. In fact by all description it really does sound like a fancy version of the defensive grenade.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:33:15 pm by Neonivek »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2010, 03:31:19 pm »

I think the "atomic cannon" idea was alright, but it was used in reverse of its most awesome configuration. Instead of using conventional explosives to launch a nuclear shell at an enemy, it should've used a nuclear explosion to hurl a conventional shell at the enemy. No, I can't imagine any configuration in which the whole thing didn't have to be rebuilt after every shot. But think of the possibilities.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »

Gentlemen, I present to you, the concept of a Gatling Shotgun.

Because quite frankly each weapon didn't fill the air with enough projectiles on their own.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2010, 03:44:11 pm »

Sometimes you just need to drown people in flying metal.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8