Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Kitchen Rules  (Read 1550 times)

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Kitchen Rules
« on: March 13, 2010, 06:28:46 am »

I don't know if anybody else does this but I embark with a cook/grower and brewer/grower combo. And sometime before the first caravan comes I've made all of my zillion dwarf drinks into lavish dwarf meals.

By the time the caravan comes I can buy anything I want just from these mega-meals and I still easily have enough food left over to feed the dwarves.

So just wondering, is this common?
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Tizer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:awesome top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: My Kitchen Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 06:57:08 am »

It's fairly common knowledge that high quality cooked food is far over priced.
But so answer your question. No, I don't do that, I try not to trade food unless there's nothing else I can trade and I *need* something from the caravan. It feels too exploity to me...
I usually just make my social dwarf make stone crafts to give to the caravan, if I remember to do so I have enough dwarfbucks to get anything important.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:23:07 am »

i usually forget to build a trade depot anyway, so i usually have enough stuff to sell when the next caravan comes.  :P ::)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:50 am »

I never sell food.

But I embark with cook/brewer mix and other dwarf dedicated purely to the growing task. So when the time comes, I have plenty of booze and food and don't have to buy supplies other than iron anvil in the first year. (And I do that thanks to 'Rock salt crafts x300' :P).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:55 am »

I used to do rock mugs but I always made more then I could sell..
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »

Eh, selling meals is like cheating to me. And if you aren't playing DF for the challenge, then you have serious problems.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 02:45:21 pm »

Eh, selling meals is like cheating to me. And if you aren't playing DF for the challenge, then you have serious problems.
I'll play dwarf fortress for whatever reason I please.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:46:50 pm »

Looking at your avatar, you seem like a dwarf who likes cats for their aloofness. ::)
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 04:16:19 pm »

I'm really not getting this statement. DF isn't a very challenging game, and making it into one requires significant modding or self-imposed restrictions, and I certainly don't feel that those who play without them necessarily have any sort of problem.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 04:24:13 pm »

Looking at your avatar, you seem like a dwarf who likes cats for their aloofness. ::)

I'm hoping toady will implement catbeards in a future update.  I'll bring it up at the next meetup.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 05:15:29 pm »

I consider cooking drinks into roasts to be a cheat so I refrain from doing it. Ditto on roast prices (though I admit doing it once because I didn't have enough for an anvil I really needed).

I like to start with a farmer, cook, and brewer, each paired with a moodable skill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:23:52 pm »

The production of top-quality anythings isn't really paced to be challenging. Getting to top-quality craft goods takes some investment of time, but then you start cranking out the best until the end of time. Prices need to come down, it's true...but cooks shouldn't be able to bust out lavish meals and totally disregard the standard meals. Standard meals are quick and use fewer components...but somehow that never seems to end up mattering, even in the first year.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:56 pm »

I think it should be made that meals need to be kept in a barrel that's at least as good as the meal is.

So masterpiece lavish meals would need masterpiece barrels.  :P

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:59:38 pm »

I think it should be made that meals need to be kept in a barrel that's at least as good as the meal is.

This... is an interesting idea. Doesn't make a lot of in-game sense, but it could help balance... but then again, the best meals usually won't fit in barrels anyway.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 12:05:57 am »

Why not just make it so meals go bad a lot more quickly than raw ingredients?  I mean you typically don't keep dozens of fully prepared meals in your pantry/fridge in real life.
Pages: [1] 2