Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Engineer Arena  (Read 2476 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Engineer Arena
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 04:21:32 am »

Still doesn't work. See, if I want to win, it's in my best interests not to have a clear winner that is not me. If I vote for the greatest engineer alive, he's going to beat me. So a rational voter actually votes for the worst engineer. In the reiterated game, rational voters probably vote for whoever is behind, and you end up with everyone basically having the same amount of votes.

That being said, it works if everyone is fair enough not to vote to win, but to vote because they genuinely thing someone is clever and a good engineer.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 04:22:49 am »

I'll see if there is enough interest for 8 participants.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 04:30:36 am »

Or you could have the ballots be secret, and not tally them up until the very end.

That would still favor voting for the worst player, but you'd have to second-guess yourself and try to figure out who others think is the worst, and generally I think the benefit is so marginal that most people would just vote for whoever does cool stuff and roll with it. Winning isn't everything.

In fact open ballots might work too, in which case I will join as an Engineer.

Or, you could have people sign up as engineers, but those who judge this round get a spot next round guaranteed.
Pages: 1 [2]