Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sky fortress  (Read 797 times)

kyazr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
sky fortress
« on: March 13, 2010, 02:54:59 am »

Does anyone know if anyone has made an entire fortress in the sky before? It's my current project and so far it's doing pretty well.
Here's what i've typed up on the challenge so far.

short, unoffical diary of mirroredfactions.

original challenge: sky fortress
entire fortress is built and maintained on top level of map, only a tower/staircase and pump system is allowed not on top level. Mining and chopping tress are also alowed to be disconnected.

departure: 1 level 5 miner, 1 level 5 mason, 3 level 3 masons, 1 level 3 carpenter, 1 level 5 woodcutter.
3 dogs, 3 cats, 1 axe, 1 pick. 400 booze, 400 food.

zone:
heavily forested, brook, 3 layers of silt/sand before stone.

early notes: started miner on mining immediately and starting with the spiral stairs.

EXCEPTION FOUND: beds must be built inside, so they will be a floor lower than the topmost floor so there is a ceiling, making it "inside". But this 2nd highest floor will only be connected by staircases on the highest floor.

Play Notes:
I am unable to build walls on the highest level, so rooms will be designated by different colored stones. this will also interfere with keeping baddies out, meaning i will probably have to liberally apply traps.

I have decided to seperate rooms with green statues, where doors would normaly go, weapon traps will go. All weapon traps will have 10 weapons in them(because there is no such thing as overkill),

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: sky fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:09:29 am »

You could, of course, just buckle under and make the fort entirely on the second level (with statue garden "sunbeds" up top).  I don't think anyone is going to get on your case for not doing it on the absolute top level.

Also, the obvious thing is to make sure you have a suitable mechanism for bringing the whole thing crashing down.

Also.
(because there is no such thing as overkill)

Thank you.  I don't understand why more people don't realize this.

kyazr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:18:44 am »

My roomate and I have been throwing challenges around with each other, I suggested this one and he said "No way, impossible". I bet I could do it so I'm working on it. I havn't technically finished my previous challenge from him, in which I had to build an entire castle on the ocean, the only way in being an underwater tunnel. Because I didn't finish it he's making sure I stick to the guidelines I gave him.

I am planning on the entire thing being held up by one lever, my worst fear(besides my dwarves going crazy 14 Z levels high because of lack of booze) is that I get bored and pull the lever, so it will probably be later in the game.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:35:37 am »

I think its possible to construct fortifications on the top z-level. They are still see-through, but at least count as walls for room designations.

Otherwise, get some water on top of there and start some farming. Use some buckets and a single pump to get it there fast (dump water on the 2nd highest z-level from the highest one, then pump that water onto the highest level).
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:21:09 am »

You could, of course, just buckle under and make the fort entirely on the second level (with statue garden "sunbeds" up top).  I don't think anyone is going to get on your case for not doing it on the absolute top level.

Also, the obvious thing is to make sure you have a suitable mechanism for bringing the whole thing crashing down.

Also.
(because there is no such thing as overkill)

Thank you.  I don't understand why more people don't realize this.

Of course there's an overkill, it's the best kind of kill!
I've played a guitar with my penis.