Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: manipulating elven caravans  (Read 1746 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
manipulating elven caravans
« on: March 13, 2010, 01:10:36 am »

Is there any way to encourage the Elven caravans to bring useful stuff, like animals? For example, will regularly buying all of their cages and animals cause them to focus on bringing more of them in future years? Or is it always entirely random whether I get Giant Jaguars or 3 cloth bins?

I just want those hippie jerks to be useful for once. >:(
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Re: manipulating elven caravans
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:12:54 am »

when you trade with them, give them the lowest profit possible. also, destroy their caravan every third year or so. this will make them think your fort isn't a valuable investment, so instead of "valuable" cloth, they bring the less valuable animals and beiiries and such
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:16:03 am »

Believe it or not, they value cloth over animals. Giving them a huge profit will make them bring more. Scam them, seize them, kill them, do what you have to do to make them HATE you.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 03:04:22 am »

I've been wondering this too, I remember when I got 2 cougers and a jaguar from one elven caravan in the first year (and a rheseus maraque but their pretty pointless).

Maybe I just won't trade with them for a year or 2 and see if they bring stuff like that again
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:37:38 am »

Some experience with elves have led me to believe that they only bring tons of cloth when your fort doesn't have tons of cloth. Now I can't remember though whether it was imported, or home-made cloth that fort had, but it seemed every time I was low on it, the elves showed up with tons of bins full of the stuff.

You could try that. I recall same system also impacts the amount of food traders bring, if you have lots of it, they won't have as much.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:02:46 am »

Some experience with elves have led me to believe that they only bring tons of cloth when your fort doesn't have tons of cloth. Now I can't remember though whether it was imported, or home-made cloth that fort had, but it seemed every time I was low on it, the elves showed up with tons of bins full of the stuff.

You could try that. I recall same system also impacts the amount of food traders bring, if you have lots of it, they won't have as much.

Doesn't the same apply to wood as well?
I have seen several times that caravan brings lots of wood (all three races) when I'm very low or has none of it.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:25 am »

Yeah, that is correct. They respond in some way to your stocks. Its very useful on maps with little wood, but I havnt found it to work with animals. I once even had the opposite effect by having a huge pile of animals and still getting a breeding pair of unicorns and some other animals in 1 year.

I decided not to give them a run of the magmatrap that year ;D
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 11:27:17 am »

To me it seems to be based on profit.  In Matchshield my trader is good enough to give them 0 profit every year, which I do, and I think we're in Year 22 and I have never seen a single bin of cloth from the elves.  I do have breeding pairs of Cougars, Black Bears, Grizzly Bears, Wolves, and Deer, though ;D.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:38:35 am »

I am sure they bring wood if you are low on wood. Last year I cut all the remaining trees, and had no more wood logs for production of barrels etc. On Spring the elven diplomat came saying something like "You abused the trees, but we expected that from your race. Stop that or you will face the consequences", then left, without any question about tree cutting limit or anything. Then after several days the elven caravan came with 6 pack animals full of wood, and only 2x Prickle Berries[5] except that.
This year I was low on wood again, but didn't cut many trees, mostly because there is nothing left to cut atm, and the diplomat came asking for tree cutting limit, and caravan is again full of wood.
But I am sure this doesn't apply to cloth for example, earlier the caravans were bringing me 12 bins full of Rope reed cloth every yeah, even if I had my stockpiles full of it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:41:10 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 01:59:34 pm »

I think the Elves think animals only sleep, eat, and shit, while cloth makes you look extravagant. Apparently they don't notice that sitting on your pet cougar, riding your pet Giant Eagle into battle and then jumping off onto your pet Giant Cave Spider in the middle of a Orc siege isn't extravagant.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:15:13 pm »

Rope reed most certainly does not make you look extravagant. GCS silk is where it's all at.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 02:50:39 pm »

There does seem to be some truth to the whole "Take their stuff and they'll bring better stuff."  I've been seizing their caravans for the last couple years, and they've finally brought me a grizzly bear instead of just cloth.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 06:21:13 pm »

From what I recall, it turns out that happy elves will actually bring you more of everything.  The problem with this is that their pack animals can only hold so much, and they load the bins of cloth first, and then just stop once they run out of room - hence the caravan consisting entirely of bins of rope reed cloth.  This was discovered (as I recall) by someone modding the elven pack animals to have wagon-like carrying capacity, whereupon they did indeed bring more of everything, including booze, berries, and exotic animals. 

But yeah, if you don't feel like modding, the "don't make 'em too happy" approach should work reasonably well. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 07:21:21 pm »

Hey, it's fun playing on a knife's edge with siegeing, good trading and no trading at all. Elf Bowmen tend to make pincushions out of everything, unless you've got champs with legendary shield user.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 07:49:33 pm »

On a related note, if I kill the elven diplomat, will I get another, assuming I don't necessarily want to be at war forever?
Pages: [1] 2