Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: JUST KILL MEEEE  (Read 2368 times)

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
JUST KILL MEEEE
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:47:42 pm »

It makes sense since it's my first successful fort (and thus crowded, crappy design, etc), but I can't shake the urge, despite 200 people and an awesome defense system, that I want to just blow it all up. Anyone else feel this urge?
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: JUST KILL MEEEE
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:29 pm »

Yes. Every time I see the idlers go into double digits, in fact.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:51:55 pm »

Try building something large and unnecessary. Draft plenty of Masons and don't be careful in its construction. The inevitable, periodic casualties you get from dwarves being trapped on the other side of the wall, or having something removed from under them should slake your thirst.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:56:15 pm »

Lots of people feel such an urge. An unchecked tantrum spiral is something that has to be seen to be believed; an actively intensified tantrum spiral, on the other hand, is actively hilarious.

The fact of the matter is that Dwarf Fortress, by default, is not hard, and even with all of the most difficult mods added in simultaneously it's still possible to just slam shut the gates and hide away indefinately. So, we have to make our own fun and Fun. That's why so many people design doomsday devices; a lever that collapses the entire fort into a smoldering crater, realistically, will never be used as a last-ditch defensive measure, as unless you're actively trying to get into a last-ditch situation, you won't. Instead, such a device is useful so that when you finally get bored of that fort, you can kill it in style.

Speaking of which, try killing that fort in style if you're getting bored of it and start a new one with a better design, more challenging biome, more features available (sand, magma, HFS), try one of the various challenges, do some modding for harder problems (playing a carnivorous race really shows how easy dwarves have it with farming-for-food), or any number of other things you can do to screw your dwarves over. It's fun!
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 11:59:29 pm »

Lots of people feel such an urge. An unchecked tantrum spiral is something that has to be seen to be believed; an actively intensified tantrum spiral, on the other hand, is actively hilarious.

The fact of the matter is that Dwarf Fortress, by default, is not hard, and even with all of the most difficult mods added in simultaneously it's still possible to just slam shut the gates and hide away indefinately. So, we have to make our own fun and Fun. That's why so many people design doomsday devices; a lever that collapses the entire fort into a smoldering crater, realistically, will never be used as a last-ditch defensive measure, as unless you're actively trying to get into a last-ditch situation, you won't. Instead, such a device is useful so that when you finally get bored of that fort, you can kill it in style.

Speaking of which, try killing that fort in style if you're getting bored of it and start a new one with a better design, more challenging biome, more features available (sand, magma, HFS), try one of the various challenges, do some modding for harder problems (playing a carnivorous race really shows how easy dwarves have it with farming-for-food), or any number of other things you can do to screw your dwarves over. It's fun!

I, weirdly, have already directly attached the local river to my base. While I'm DYING to use it, I'm going to deforest the area, let the elves take over, and then pull the switch with my last living dwarf. I want to take those tall guys with me.

That said, I already have a large "FAIL" sign above my fort, and I'm going to reroute the river and build a huge pressure washer. OR HAVE FUN TRYING.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:59:42 am »

Someday, when I finally craft a fort with a magma pipe...

I will go to the z-level directly below the fort, carve it out completely, and fill it with magma.

Then...dig out the rest of the fort.

Make it so it's supported by a single...support, in the magma. Attach a lever to it.

Pull it.

...Yes, the legend will last forever. First discovered by the dwarven caravan...they went inside to see where everyone was, only to find the mountain was hollow and empty, and only a vast sea of molten stone lay at the bottom. They say that if you visit there on a dark night, you can still hear the screams and laughter of the dying dwarves...

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:43:03 am »

I really want to see the army thing get implemented where you can send your dwarves out to conquer lands. Finally something to dabble those peasants into! :D

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:52:10 am »

I believe you haven't really played Dwarf Fortress until you have deliberately destroyed at least one of your fortresses.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 04:11:31 am »

I believe you haven't really played Dwarf Fortress until you have deliberately destroyed at least one of your fortresses.
Heh, I'm sincerely thinking of doing so now. Have 150 dwarves and my fps has dropped to 30 -_-'' if it hits 20 I'll let them kick the (magma-)bucket.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 06:04:12 am »

See, personally, I find the 'attach everything to a single support, kill entire world at once' idea that inevitably gets thrown out there in a thread like this very technically interesting, but not really all that fun. What I would suggest is building your entire fortress without intending on destroying it, and then decide to just add some extra channelling or remove construction designations here or there so that your fortress only marginally falls apart. Doing your best to make your surviving dwarves' lives absolutely miserable is a whooole lotta fun. Having no survivors is kind of like "Haha, cool, everyone's dead! ...and now it's quiet."

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 07:49:46 am »

See, if I ever get the urge, my Big Red Lever (Note: Lever may not actually be red) will involve complex design and engineering. A pressurized magma system that connects to every room in the fort, for example. Ideally the control room for said system would involve one lever for each room in the fort, each section of the fort, each individual z-level, all the way on up to the Kill Everything lever. Death would be administered in doses as small or large as I pleased.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:18:41 am »

I kinda want to do such a thing, but I'm not sure about self-destruction... I want my fortress to be smashed by outside forces, like a seige of Uberelves or something. I can't come up with a very imaginative doom device anyway...

Hi fossaman.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:30:05 am »

I honestly find the hardest challenge to be riding the wave of tantrums (not enough for a full blown tantrum spiral). Tantrum spirals are too easy, just kill a bunch of dwarves who have a lot of friends. Likewise, keeping everyone ecstatic is too easy, all you need is a few great rooms and statue gardens.

Having everyone miserable enough to bring out the macabre and fell moods (riding the tantrum wave) results in awesome *dwarf leather thrones* and is very hard to pull off.

Try making yourself a challenge: 50% of your artifacts must be from fell or macabre moods.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 11:14:21 am »

Nine tenths of the fun in building a sand castle is knocking it down with toy dinosaurs. The same holds true for Dwarf Fortress. Nobody's ever had an awesome story about a fort that has lasted 200 years in peace and obscurity studiously mining and smelting massive amounts of ore. Hell no, that's not dwarfy, unless all of that ore is going to be made into a 20z temple to Armok.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 04:29:05 pm »

I usually just forbid all of the food, deconstruct all the farms, and wait for nature to take its course.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."
Pages: [1] 2