Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: JUST KILL MEEEE  (Read 2363 times)

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: JUST KILL MEEEE
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2010, 06:13:37 pm »

See, personally, I find the 'attach everything to a single support, kill entire world at once' idea that inevitably gets thrown out there in a thread like this very technically interesting, but not really all that fun. What I would suggest is building your entire fortress without intending on destroying it, and then decide to just add some extra channelling or remove construction designations here or there so that your fortress only marginally falls apart. Doing your best to make your surviving dwarves' lives absolutely miserable is a whooole lotta fun. Having no survivors is kind of like "Haha, cool, everyone's dead! ...and now it's quiet."
OK, then let me modify my last suggestion.

Dig out a pit of magma below the fort, and dig out the rest of it from the mountain.

Have it supported by TWO supports, each supporting half of the fortress.

Drop ONE half into the magma (preferably the half with the fort's only exit).

Watch the other half slowly starve and go insane.

Appeals to both audiences! Both people who want a bang and people who want a whimper will be satisfied.

Compromises are great.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2010, 08:30:15 pm »

I got tired of my badass fort of awesome recently, so I traded off all my bins, after the Countess had forbade them to be traded. Hammering, death, and tantrum spirals ensued.  Fun!
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 02:05:37 am »

Hi fossaman.
Hah! I knew that name sounded familiar. Heya.
Nine tenths of the fun in building a sand castle is knocking it down with toy dinosaurs.
Now I know why I never had much fun at the beach. I forgot the toy dinosaurs! (Although really I was more of a building-block skyscraper kind of kid, and I'd fire projectiles at it to see how long it would stand up before it collapsed.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 07:16:27 am »

Yes. Every time I see the idlers go into double digits, in fact.
Try having them go into triple digits.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 07:55:15 am »

I do, occasionally, feel the urge to kill my dwarves.

Then I play I Wanna Be The Guy.

Problem solved, and my fort lives!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:02:26 am »

I have a problem with making forts that contain a magma pipe. Infinite water or no, I always dig into the pipe and screw with the magma before I've even built beds or farms. Needless to say, those forts don't last long. Not because of horrendous disaster, but because the magma is like "Hey!" and I get distracted.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 10:09:20 am »

I usually just play a fort until I get the inevitable irresistable urge to make another one. Without destroying my previous fort. My save folder is packed.

Then I play I Wanna Be The Guy.
/highfive

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 03:16:07 pm »

I believe you haven't really played Dwarf Fortress until you have deliberately destroyed at least one of your fortresses.
This should be added into the wiki...STAT!!!
Thankyou BitLooter
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki
Pages: 1 [2]