Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh shit...  (Read 1103 times)

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh shit...
« on: March 12, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »

So, I'm starting up my new fortress, got a really nice layout and location, with a chasm, etc. But the problem is, the chasm is outside. Now, as all my people are hauling the chasm creatures keep attacking them. I almost lost one of my miners due to a few antmen, but I recruited him, he kicked ass, and then I returned him to miner. I set a big restricted area around the chasm, but I'm not sure what that will do. Any suggestions?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh shit...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 09:37:36 pm »

If the chasm eats you, come back and eat the chasm for all it's worth.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:38:11 pm »

In the current (but not the upcoming) version, chasm creatures don't respawn. So whatever was down there in the chasm when you started is all you'll get as far as chasm creatures go, which is good in your case.

If there are still creatures inside the chasm, I suggest simply avoiding it at first, and making sure your fortress itself has doors and whatever other defensive measures you want. If the opening to the chasm is small enough, you could build walls/floors to block it off (or possibly bridges, if it's a vertical entrance).

Also, are you sure it's a chasm and not a cave? Caves tend to have small entrances in this big, shallow depression.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:40:24 pm »

Yep, I'm sure its a chasm. It goes to the bottom of the map and ends in grate looking things that say: 'Chasm.' But I'm scared as heck of unpausing. I really don't want to lose any of my starting dwarves...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:43:16 pm »

If you can see any giant bats, try to set up a means of capturing a pair (or at the very least, a female).  They fly, they're bigger than grizzly bears, they've got a nasty biting attack, and they can be tamed (by a dungeon master).

If you can get a breeding pair of giant bats...  Man, you're set. 

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 09:47:46 pm »

No, I don't have any Giant Bats  :( A few Giant Cave Swallows though, and around two pages of Antman and Ratman and Naked Mole dogs. I have a sneaky idea of militarizing my carpenter and two miners and assigning a war dog to the people who aren't in the military, to get all the wood and food hauling done. Is that possible?

Edit: Okay, I assigned my two war dogs to my mason and craftsdwarf and turned off all hauling labors on my farmer dwarf except  food hauling so that he can hopefully just stick to his farm instead of hauling shiz everywhere and getting clusterraped by a bunch of rat mutants. How do you set a military dwarf to be in a specific squad? Because I'm thinking of assigning my miners and carpenter all in one squad and parading them around the chasm, hopefully killing off a bunch of them.

Edit: Grrr, one of my war dogs has been struck down...

Edit: Okay, I got all my military dwarves into one squad. Now to go set some patrol points...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:04:40 pm by Repulsion »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:47:49 pm »

Capture the swallows and determine the average air speed velocity!
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:32 pm »

I'll try that later... now I need to finish my digging and workshops and hauling. I took my dwarves off duty because no threatening chasm creatures had come up (Antman, Ratman). I think I killed all the surface ones...

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:53 pm »

monty python FTW

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 12:22:24 am »

But are they African or European giant cave swallows?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 12:23:32 am »

No, they are Cavernian :)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 12:33:24 am »

No, they are Cavernian :)

but are they unladen? Determining their average air speed velocity doesn't do any good if they're carrying a dorf around for a midnight snack! It skews the whole equation!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:14 am »

This scenario is why I always embark with someone who can shoot straight. I suggest churning out crossbows and ammunition for your remaining dwarves, with quivers if possible, and laying siege. Set your newly-minted marksdwarves as one squad and order them to stay in one place, and tell the melee dwarves to chase enemies, then station the two squads close together near the entrance to the chasm and wait until you've picked off the last of the nasties within. Also, wooden shields and bone armour would be better than nothing.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!