Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: And the earth was split  (Read 1833 times)

TomPedersen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
And the earth was split
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:14:57 pm »

Hello fellow, more skilled, fortress makers! I pondered whether or not to make this, and I made the wrong choice to do so! Any hows, I found a sheer drop chasm which splits into several other directions. It touches the bottom of the world itself. I was wondering if this would interest anyone. Being the new player I am I don't know how to get world gen data, so telling we would be helpful.

And of course pictures(taken in adventurer mode, thanks visual fortress)

PS. It's right next to a dwarf fortress, but sharing is caring!

*Ilral Soloniklist spots a frog demon*
Ilral Soloniklist admires the frog demon for its' impressive belly!
Ilral Soloniklist has been struck down

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: And the earth was split
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:39:41 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Chasm

People like to use 'em for stone disposal in fortress mode.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

TomPedersen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:41:18 pm »

Well then this isn't special at all :'(

Sorry bout' that gang
*Ilral Soloniklist spots a frog demon*
Ilral Soloniklist admires the frog demon for its' impressive belly!
Ilral Soloniklist has been struck down

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:46:22 pm »

Haha, not at all, it's nice to see some enthusiasm around here.  It's been a while since we've had folks who weren't over-acquainted with the workings of DF.

Chasms are fun, but they were better in previous versions.  These days, you might find a giant bat or cave swallow or something which will interest you, everything else just stays put on these tiny little ledges.

However...  If you happen to find some webbing, STAY THE HELL AWAY.  Run as fast as your little legs will carry you, otherwise you'll come face-to-face with the chosen avatar of death upon this mortal plane.

But seriously though...  Stay away from webs.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:48:12 pm »

Haha, not at all, it's nice to see some enthusiasm around here.  It's been a while since we've had folks who weren't over-acquainted with the workings of DF.

Chasms are fun, but they were better in previous versions.  These days, you might find a giant bat or cave swallow or something which will interest you, everything else just stays put on these tiny little ledges.

However...  If you happen to find some webbing, STAY THE HELL AWAY.  Run as fast as your little legs will carry you, otherwise you'll come face-to-face with the chosen avatar of death upon this mortal plane.

But seriously though...  Stay away from webs.

It depends on what the webs are. If they don't have the word 'giant' in it, you're fine.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:58 pm »

Yeah exactly. I wiki searched until I could run a fort correctly and now it gets boring because I know everything (well, not "everything").

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:44:16 pm »

And dies before you get anywhere near it, if you're a slow player. Thank goodness for DC...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 01:35:09 am »

I was going to make a mod that swapped out all the chasm critters for new stuff that could fly.  It was supposed to be part of a full-scale mod that would make the rest of the world a little more inhospitable and savage, but not like some of these mods that are strictly for the difficulty.  This was going to be done with flavor.

I put it off for a long time, and now the new version is coming out so...   I think I'll just wait and mod the next version to suit my needs.  Of course, terrain features are going to get revamped, so the "all-flying chasm critters" patrol won't exactly be relevant anymore.  I still think it's an interesting way of getting around it though.

And I'm still going to introduce the "Dragonfly"...   Oh yes indeedy.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 02:09:49 am »

I was going to make a mod that swapped out all the chasm critters for new stuff that could fly.  It was supposed to be part of a full-scale mod that would make the rest of the world a little more inhospitable and savage, but not like some of these mods that are strictly for the difficulty.  This was going to be done with flavor.

I put it off for a long time, and now the new version is coming out so...   I think I'll just wait and mod the next version to suit my needs.  Of course, terrain features are going to get revamped, so the "all-flying chasm critters" patrol won't exactly be relevant anymore.  I still think it's an interesting way of getting around it though.

thats going to be one of those giant dragonflies that was buzzing around during the Mesozoic, isn't it?"shudders"
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:24:33 am »

thats going to be one of those giant dragonflies that was buzzing around during the Mesozoic, isn't it?"shudders"
I think he means swarms of flies that are also dragons.  :o
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:27:44 am »

Uhh...  Not quite.  It'll be a bug.  A big bug.  Smaller than a dwarf, but still big for a bug.  Kinda wimpy too.

But it'll have a special ability that'll make it extra-special-fun.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 10:27:18 am »

[DRAGONFIRE_BREATH], no?
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 11:57:33 am »

Like the Might & Magic 9 ones? God those were annoying.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:20:10 pm »

I realize now the wisdom in just saying "wait for the mod"...

But yes, an oversized bug that has been enchanted/mutated by the wild forces of the world to mimic dragonfire.  Relatively rare, but you only need one to keep you on your toes.  A quick thwomp with a good mace will most likely crush it, but getting close enough to do so might be problematic.

Everything gets more fun with fire.