Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)  (Read 149761 times)

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2010, 05:07:49 pm »

...whoa.

Whoa.

This is the best thing.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Arni

• Bay Watcher
  • Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2010, 02:12:05 pm »

Wow, this fort is indeed awestriking!
Finest Dwarffortressplayercraftship!
Military and Militia. It's horrible

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2010, 01:41:47 am »

THis is amazing.

I am so happy this was resurrected from the depths so i could see it!

Every friend that I feel like showing dwarf fortress... i am going to show them this thread.
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2010, 09:32:08 pm »

I'm at a loss. I would necro this for the next ten years (Hopefully it would get stickied, and save me a bunch of work), but you seem to be against random bumps.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:47 pm »

If you're still going on about that, bumping for the sake of bumping and bumping to say something on-topic are different things :P The thread seems to get brought up every week or two anyhow.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2010, 02:07:51 am »

Well, that's cause it's awesome but it is archived now and bumping for the sake of bumping won't go down well with the Toad.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2010, 10:53:23 am »

Well then in the interest of not bumping for the sake of bumping I have an actual technical question. I'm still relatively new at DF (only had the one fort that hasnt exploded so far) and I'm very interested in finding out how you make those railings. I'm just beginning to mess around with massive holes in the ground and some railings would be a godsend. Also does anyone know of a good program for plotting something in 3d? I'm trying to build a huge middle finger coming out of a lake and I'm sort of paralyzed by not knowing how to make a hand in 3d one block at a time.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2010, 11:28:32 am »

I just found this, thanks to the bumping. I am glad I did. I'm downloading 40d DF just to get a look at this one. It will be good inspiration. I tried many times to do the "stalactite" thing you managed, and never succeeded well. Looks amazing!
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2010, 01:31:51 pm »

Well then in the interest of not bumping for the sake of bumping I have an actual technical question. I'm still relatively new at DF (only had the one fort that hasnt exploded so far) and I'm very interested in finding out how you make those railings. I'm just beginning to mess around with massive holes in the ground and some railings would be a godsend. Also does anyone know of a good program for plotting something in 3d? I'm trying to build a huge middle finger coming out of a lake and I'm sort of paralyzed by not knowing how to make a hand in 3d one block at a time.

The railings are vertical bars, built from metal bars with 'b-B' (even though the object 'metal bar' is more like a bar of bullion and vertical bars are the pole-like jail cell bars, but somehow it makes sense). You don't actually need them for safety, they're just decoration. Dwarves will perfectly navigate any crazy no-OSHA-compliance path you set up for them as long as they're not fighting/being attacked and thus trying to dodge. Or insane.

I don't know a good program for 3D plotting, but that question's come up in DF Dwarf Mode before; a search might bring up some topics with program links.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2010, 02:41:11 pm »

The railings are vertical bars, built from metal bars with 'b-B' (even though the object 'metal bar' is more like a bar of bullion and vertical bars are the pole-like jail cell bars, but somehow it makes sense). You don't actually need them for safety, they're just decoration. Dwarves will perfectly navigate any crazy no-OSHA-compliance path you set up for them as long as they're not fighting/being attacked and thus trying to dodge. Or insane.

I don't know a good program for 3D plotting, but that question's come up in DF Dwarf Mode before; a search might bring up some topics with program links.
I beg to differ. ~30 dwarves pathing down a 3x3 staircase down into the abyss and at least 5 fell to their deaths.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2010, 02:51:45 pm »

Really? Weird. I've never had a dwarf death or injury from tripping and falling, not even on stairs. And at one point the entire top half of the cavern was made up of nothing but up/down stairs while dwarves rocketed all over grabbing stone to dump.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2010, 04:12:14 pm »

Finally the thread has been bumped! Just had to say that I'm trying to stop procrastinating and watch that show Neon Genesis Evangelion (I actually don't care for anime that much, but my friend who likes anime more said I had to watch it as even by Japan standards its possibly the weirdest thing ever), I've only watched the first 3-4 episodes, but Undergrotto kind of reminds me of the GeoFront thing that all those buildings in Tokyo-3 sink into. If you've seen the show, you know what I'm talking about. Just saw similarities with the enormous, epically huge artificial cavern with a lake pyramids and stuff inside it with skyscrapers hanging from the ceiling like stalactites. Plus I already know the ending of the show, and it seems pretty dwarfy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-01/01_C168_big.jpg

and the scene you see it first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WgyKhIqaCc#t=2m15s

(I was linked to the thread from OPs sig about a week ago, and didn't think saying this was important enough to bump the thread).
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 13, 2010, 05:24:47 pm »

I don't think I'd be comfortable watching anything considered weird by Japan's standards. But yeah that is kinda similar, thanks for showing me! I've always thought giant underground caves with cities in them are super cool, especially with lakes (hence making my own :P). Probably a good thing I saw this after finishing otherwise I might've wasted more time making a pyramid :P

And don't worry about posting here even if the thread gets a bit old, the thing about bumping was something that carried over from another thread.

Inspiration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »

Really? Weird. I've never had a dwarf death or injury from tripping and falling, not even on stairs. And at one point the entire top half of the cavern was made up of nothing but up/down stairs while dwarves rocketed all over grabbing stone to dump.
Never happened to me either.

"Urist McMiner cancels dig: Tripped down stairs and fell to death"

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2010, 02:25:24 am »

Finally the thread has been bumped! Just had to say that I'm trying to stop procrastinating and watch that show Neon Genesis Evangelion (I actually don't care for anime that much, but my friend who likes anime more said I had to watch it as even by Japan standards its possibly the weirdest thing ever), I've only watched the first 3-4 episodes, but Undergrotto kind of reminds me of the GeoFront thing that all those buildings in Tokyo-3 sink into. If you've seen the show, you know what I'm talking about. Just saw similarities with the enormous, epically huge artificial cavern with a lake pyramids and stuff inside it with skyscrapers hanging from the ceiling like stalactites. Plus I already know the ending of the show, and it seems pretty dwarfy

here's a pic of what I'm talking about:
http://www.evacommentary.org/episode-01/01_C168_big.jpg

and the scene you see it first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WgyKhIqaCc#t=2m15s

(I was linked to the thread from OPs sig about a week ago, and didn't think saying this was important enough to bump the thread).

Oh yeah and possible power goal idea if anyone ever makes their own enormous grotto: In that show, that giant cave is underneath the city of Tokyo, and when one of the evil giant robot/angel/alien thingies (don't ask) is attacking, all the buildings in tokyo sink down into the ground so they hang from the ceiling of the dome. What if someone figured out a way to do that In DF in the name of Science?

Edit: Actually the show isn't that weird for anime at the start, but just to explain how fucking weird the ending to this show is supposed to be, I give you the show's ending's description on the page for Mind Screw (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MindScrew)

So Yeah.....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 11:33:44 pm by truckman1 »
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11