Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)  (Read 149782 times)

*Poster*

• Bay Watcher
  • It is a mystery to everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrotto: An experiment in terraforming (image-heavy)
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2010, 08:06:27 pm »

Dear Holy Fucking God. You deranged person. I salute you!
The Tower of Fu, a massive wooden statue of a middle finger facing north towards the elven lands, is completed, crafted from 760 wooden blocks of differing types of wood.  It is designated as a stockpile for lye, potash, ash, and coal.
Six out of seven dwarves are not Happy.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:14 pm »

Man, this is really awesome. I love how you have so many little touches. It's not just "look I made a big thing", you have constructions within constructions within constructions. One of the bits I really like is the quaint little rooms inside the stalactites.
Unfortunately the tour doesn't seem to work correctly for me. It goes to the bit about the goblin sacrifice, then cuts off the rest... Perhaps you could put it into two spoilers, the second one starting with the goblin drop?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:27 pm »

Another smart way mode the melting and boiling points in before you dig anything or as soon as you hit a stone you don't want. Stones evaporate as they are mined and should not harm your dwarves. Items will never get made out of them as they evaporate before they can be used. This may affect your FPS though (if you have a lot of miners).

Alternate smart way add the [SOIL] token to the stones you don't want to drop rocks.

I addressed the former method previously; the FPS hit from constant fog is simply way more annoying than one big one at the end that you can leave for five-ish minutes and let it calculate. The latter, though... whoa. Hadn't considered that. That's possibly the best option I've seen yet considering there's no FPS hit at all plus you don't lose everything you've already constructed (presumably). I'll go mess around with it a bit, and if it works perfectly like that (and it looks like it will), I'll make that the preferred method. Thanks for the tip! :D

Unfortunately the tour doesn't seem to work correctly for me. It goes to the bit about the goblin sacrifice, then cuts off the rest... Perhaps you could put it into two spoilers, the second one starting with the goblin drop?

Went ahead and did that for you. It's separated by entrance + main cavern / upper mountain + palace now. I think if you got to the droptower stuff the palace was really the only thing left, so there's not much more. Let me know if that doesn't work for you and I'll crappily transpose the tour to my wiki profile or something.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2010, 08:41:02 pm »

Awesome, thanks!

EDIT: Looking back, I'd also like to compliment you on your incredibly natural-looking constructions. For example, normal paths are just straight paths - but the path to your castle is winding and very smooth. I especially liked how you used angled floor tiles to make the edges even smoother - it looks like a real curve.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:44:06 pm by Cheddarius »

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2010, 08:42:42 pm »

Absolutely, jaw-droppingly awesome.

What's the total Created Wealth?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2010, 08:55:21 pm »

I'd also like to compliment you on your incredibly natural-looking constructions. For example, normal paths are just straight paths - but the path to your castle is winding and very smooth. I especially liked how you used angled floor tiles to make the edges even smoother - it looks like a real curve.

Thanks! Generally it's easy to make things look smooth when you make sure to leave a wide berth of ramps; it helps give everything a gentle flow. Aside from that it's just a matter of sketching out rough crappy curves with your mouse as best you can and then touching it up a bit by hand.

Like almost 9mil? Really not very high at all for a 14-year fort with [SPEED:0] for half its lifetime. Maybe it doesn't count wealth that I created then destroyed, like the flood of non-masterwork stuff that I chasmed about a month prior to uploading the saves. Here's the z-screen if you're curious. I had two stonecrafters work nonstop for a while on making crafts and whatnot, but didn't do much else. In terms of trading I tended to request nothing but fancy metal (so that when removed the wagons had tons of space, then easily bought it out with enough profit to make the traders ecstatic, then gave like 100-200k of leftover goods away as offerings. Why exported wealth appears so low I may never know; I traded a couple hundred thousand for sure and offered possibly over a million turtles' worth of crafts.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:43 pm »

This is the finest fortress I've ever seen in the game, and is pretty much exactly what I would have envisioned for an ultimate fortress that I might make if I ever had the patience.  Thanks for making the forum richer with this effort.

Kudos.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2010, 09:30:20 pm »

EPIC WIN!  That is all.
Nom nom nom

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 09:34:04 pm »

Like almost 9mil? Really not very high at all for a 14-year fort with [SPEED:0] for half its lifetime. Maybe it doesn't count wealth that I created then destroyed, like the flood of non-masterwork stuff that I chasmed about a month prior to uploading the saves. Here's the z-screen if you're curious. I had two stonecrafters work nonstop for a while on making crafts and whatnot, but didn't do much else. In terms of trading I tended to request nothing but fancy metal (so that when removed the wagons had tons of space, then easily bought it out with enough profit to make the traders ecstatic, then gave like 100-200k of leftover goods away as offerings. Why exported wealth appears so low I may never know; I traded a couple hundred thousand for sure and offered possibly over a million turtles' worth of crafts.
Maybe the value's really like 19 or 29mil, does the game ever display more than 7 digits on value?  Planepacked's value had only 7 digits, and that also seems too low....

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2010, 09:35:45 pm »

I think that was because it was made almost entirely of diorite or something.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2010, 07:47:18 am »

Maybe the value's really like 19 or 29mil, does the game ever display more than 7 digits on value?  Planepacked's value had only 7 digits, and that also seems too low....

Nah, it's probably a legitimate number (I've definitely seen 8-digit values before, anyways). I really didn't spend very much time towards creating wealth at all. It's pretty appropriate that my architectural value is way higher than the other scores I suppose.

mrmojo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2010, 11:55:36 am »

I've been lurking on these forums without posting for a year and half now. I think it a fitting first post to congratulate you on making the most amazing fortress I have ever seen.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:00 pm »

I'm having trouble generating the world using that param set.  I first tried on Mayday's 40d18 conversion, without the edited raws, and I got errors pertaining to the volcanoes, "The world generator is having trouble setting volcanism in the manner specified by the parameters.  You might want to adjust the parameters governing volcanism.  Alternatively, you can reduce the number of high, medium or low volcanism squares required."  This occured after about 1500 rejects.  Then I tried adding your raws to the 40d and 40d19 with no custom tilesets, and I got an error saying "One of the compressed files on disc has errors on it."

How can I get your raws to work?  And did you encounter the volcanism error when generating it?
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2010, 03:44:47 pm »

The simple answer is that he didn't use 40d18 to gen the world. As he started the fort in October of 2009 and 40d18 wasn't released until several months later. You would have to find out which version he was using.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2010, 03:57:38 pm »

I'm having trouble generating the world using that param set.  I first tried on Mayday's 40d18 conversion, without the edited raws, and I got errors pertaining to the volcanoes, "The world generator is having trouble setting volcanism in the manner specified by the parameters.  You might want to adjust the parameters governing volcanism.  Alternatively, you can reduce the number of high, medium or low volcanism squares required."  This occured after about 1500 rejects.  Then I tried adding your raws to the 40d and 40d19 with no custom tilesets, and I got an error saying "One of the compressed files on disc has errors on it."

How can I get your raws to work?  And did you encounter the volcanism error when generating it?

Oh, right. Yeah, there's one 'hit c to continue or a to abort' before it works thing, I remember now. Been a while. And it was genned in plain old 40d. If you want the exact same world (just tried this now), just delete the raws/objects folder in a side copy of DF and replace it with the objects folder I uploaded to the main page before you gen it. You'll get that one error and that's (I think) it. After that, all you need is the wiki's [CAT_MOUTH] fix to play it if you want to add your own raws back in. I could upload a save of the world if that works better.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11