Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pressure plates and traps  (Read 3342 times)

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pressure plates and traps
« on: March 12, 2010, 04:21:38 am »

Okay, so I am building automated goblin welcome gifts, but I've got one point I'm not too sure about;

Timing.

I love precision, and as such, I would like for their gift (an elven spear) to pop up right when they step on the tile. How many tiles would you advice me to place the pressure plate ahead of my gift?

I've also gotten the same question for bridges.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pressure plates and traps
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:17:46 am »

Spears don't have any delay so u can probably just put Pressure plates by your spears (checkerboard em or put them in alternating rows of plates and spears) and the goblins will skewer all their allies while walking by. don't know what your gunna do with bridges though.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:39:40 am »

Find out what the goblin's speed is first, look in the raw entry for it. If no speed is listed it uses the default of 900 then. Assuming we're talking about the vanilla goblins, it uses 900. You take that number, the raw speed, and divide it by 100. The resulting number is effectively how many ticks it takes that creature between actions, such as moving a tile.

Vanilla goblins take 9 ticks between actions.
Bridges have a 100 tick delay after activation.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:55:06 pm »

Spears don't have any delay so u can probably just put Pressure plates by your spears (checkerboard em or put them in alternating rows of plates and spears) and the goblins will skewer all their allies while walking by. don't know what your gunna do with bridges though.

As I'm pretty sure the delay from levers is the same for pressure plates, what the Dwarf Fortress Wiki has to say on delays from levers:
Quote from: DF Wiki
*  Upright Spear/Spikes – Activates 40 steps after being triggered.
          o On: Retracts spears/spikes.
          o Off: Extends spears/spikes.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:20:47 pm »

Note also that the signal from a pressed plate will retract spikes, and they will be extended again after the plate resets.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:35:17 am »

Alright for your help then. It sounds like my spear gifts'll work, although the bridge might just turn out to be a disappointment.

(I already figured a checkerboard of Upright spear traps would be nice, I just wasn't sure about it.)
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:28:11 pm »

Easier just to use a lever on repeat.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

ethan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:56 am »

Was playing around with plates and spikes today... and it seems you can link a lever and a plate to them, then use the lever to "reset" them into the ground.  The next trigger from the plate will thrust the spears upwards, but delayed (since its technically resetting).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »

Was playing around with plates and spikes today... and it seems you can link a lever and a plate to them, then use the lever to "reset" them into the ground.  The next trigger from the plate will thrust the spears upwards, but delayed (since its technically resetting).
It didn't actually work the way you were expecting, though - nothing will happen when you step on the plate (since the spikes are already retracted), and the spikes will extend 140 ticks after stepping off the pressure plate (100 for the plate to reset, 40 for the spikes to respond), and after that they'll behave as if you had never hooked up the lever in the first place.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.