Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary Stonecrafter.  (Read 1575 times)

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
Legendary Stonecrafter.
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:35:27 pm »

Hello fellow DF players! I was wondering about how common the following situation is.

Pretty much every fort I have had (my last 3 stick out in my mind as having this happen for sure) has gotten a stonecrafter in the first wave of migrants. Sometime within the first year, this stonecrafter gets a strange mood and makes an insignificant artifact out of one or two stone. Then I have legendary crafter quality goods to trade for the rest of my forts life.

Do stonecrafters have a higher % chance to mood or something and does this happen to other people?
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Stonecrafter.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:38:40 pm »

Yes, craftsdwarves are among those most likely to get a strange mood. You can read about it on the wiki.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:12:59 pm »

If someone that gets a mood lacks an artifact producing skill, they default to stone, wood or bone crafting.  Naturally, crafters also produce crafts from moods so you end up with tons of them.  I draft all my garbage crafters and try to get all my haulers to dabbling masonry or metalworking.  Ugh, I wish they could just produce an artifact hauling job or legendary party and leave my gems and shells alone. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:20 pm »

Seems to be pretty commonplace. Though I do remember an occasion whereby I had a smith come over in the first wave, and about as soon as he set foot in the dining hall, had a mood.

And hence my first legendary weaponsmith. Beautiful, isn't it?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:34 pm »

An artifact party sounds quite nice. And it can't be stolen, either.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:25:31 pm »

My very very first strange mood was back in the 2D version...

He made an artifact bronze shield, studded with gems.

Legendary armorsmith.  Artifact bronze shield.  I lucked out so hard the bedframe shook.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »

Artifacts can be stolen.

One time a kobold made off with an artifact iron shield.  :(

If you have high skill level miner, mason, or engraver he will make something in a mason's workshop. As most fortresses do a lot of mining and masonry, the odds of this are relatively high. You can forbid all but the most valuable metal ores and so he will make some artifact item out of that.

A native platinum artifact statue is worth a helluva lot of dwarfbucks.

Or are you instead referring to stonecrafting, like making mugs and toys? Thats a bit less useful. But you can at least get masterwork obsidian swords out of the deal if you have obsidian. They're are good as a masterwork steel shortsword.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:09:29 am »

I try to train up everyone so their highest moodable skill is masonry, carpentry, armorsmithing, metalsmithing, or weaponsmithing. That way, I almost always get some kind of useful artifact.

I also always set my two embarking planters as armorsmith and weaponsmith.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:24:35 am »

I make my miners weaponsmiths and armorsmiths (I bring two on embark, see...). It isn't always useful, but it's a nice bonus for when the fortress is more mature and not much digging is needed.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 02:25:44 pm »

An artifact party sounds quite nice. And it can't be stolen, either.
This table has been claimed by Urist McPossessed.

Urist McPossessed mutters "Mothdast Baros needs booze..."
<continued for about a hundred times>
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:34:09 pm »

And purring maggots for the wilder parties.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 03:06:12 pm »

I like to add mechanics to the list of moodable skills I expect suggest somebody run around with. Those ultra-valuable mechanisms are great for dining rooms, quarters and weapon traps. I also tend to be sending mechanics running all over the map trying to get linkages complete before "Gawd this is thirsty work" or "NAPTIME!" so having a lot of ranks is vital for Getting Stuff Done.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.