Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: And how did YOU get to be in the Queen's entourage?  (Read 2230 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And how did YOU get to be in the Queen's entourage?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:00:36 pm »

I haven't heard of the king and queen arriving with their family members, not including their extended family of course or you would have upwards of 20+ dwarves on your hands.

so they won't bring their children? damn, I checked my legends and my civ's ruler is a goblin queen with several grandchildren. I was hoping her kids would immigrate too.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 09:01:11 pm »

Maybe there was a case of mistaken identity at the mountainhome and they brought this peasant rather than the Liaison/Advisor?  Did you happen to have the dwarven caravan on the map at the time?

The dwarven caravan wasn't on the map. The liaison had been killed by a goblin ambush several years before, thanks to my simplistic wall-around-the-world.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 09:05:26 pm »

COuld be the Liason-in-training.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:58 pm »

No, but I probably will now.

It's a surprisingly dwarfy tale.

Akeem and Semi leave the Mountainhomes to embark in a terrifying biome. Before they can set up their living quarters, their stockpile of cloaks and gold trade goods is raided by thieves. Eventually, they get to food production and Akeem is drafted as a speardwarf to fend off an ambush. Eventually the outpost liason relays Akeem & Semi's successes back to the capital and the King (along with his retinue) arrive unexpectedly and start making outrageous mandates. And there's an elephant.

Sound familiar?
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 05:17:46 am »

Almost eerily so.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 12:31:13 pm »

When the queen arrived at my fort she brought a bunch of immigrants with her.

So ... I think it's just something like that. A single immigrant who tagged along with the queen. Somehow
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 01:38:45 pm »

Yeah I'm pretty sure Rulers can arrive with your normal immigration wave.  You just got a single migrant.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 06:26:16 pm »

that may be, but I really like the reasons for this peasant's existence presented in the thread :D
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 09:45:46 am »

But yes, Mountainhome on your first fortress is impressive.   Very impressive.  Even with this version.
Inspired by my initial success, I have located a 3x4 savage desert area containing a chasm, a bottomless pit, a magma pipe, and HFS, as well as running water on the surface! Wish me luck ;)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:00 am »

Mountainhome on my first fortress, I'm pretty happy :)
Hehe, completely unlike my first... dozen attempts at a fortress. I started playing the game without ever reading the wiki. Was wondering where my dwarves kept disappearing to for the first few fortresses, then I found out about z-levels. Read some basic stuff on the wiki, and spent the next many fortesses finding out about the rest of the stuff.

'twas fun! no regrets.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 07:26:05 pm »

Inspired by my initial success, I have located a 3x4 savage desert area containing a chasm, a bottomless pit, a magma pipe, and HFS, as well as running water on the surface! Wish me luck ;)

seed.  gimme.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2010, 10:52:15 am »

Aren't there plenty of nice seeds around already? Also, how do I look up the seed of my already-generated world? I looked around a bit on the wiki but I don't see any instructions.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2010, 11:04:49 am »

No, but I probably will now.

It's a surprisingly dwarfy tale.

Akeem and Semi leave the Mountainhomes to embark in a terrifying biome. Before they can set up their living quarters, their stockpile of cloaks and gold trade goods is raided by thieves. Eventually, they get to food production and Akeem is drafted as a speardwarf to fend off an ambush. Eventually the outpost liason relays Akeem & Semi's successes back to the capital and the King (along with his retinue) arrive unexpectedly and start making outrageous mandates. And there's an elephant.

Sound familiar?

HAHAHAHAHAH!

WOW!

That was so well told it's amazing.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.
Pages: 1 [2]