Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: What's the first thing you'll do in the new version of Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 8729 times)

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With a standard of 50 z-levels, animal men, plenty of super beasts, and magma and caverns as standard on almost all maps, it seems like there'll be a hell of a lot of potential in the new version.

So what's the first thing you'll do?

For me, the caverns are screaming to be taken over and made in to a cavern fortress. Does anyone have any good ideas with the burrows? I like the idea of a nobles-only district.

Julius Clonkus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NIGHTMARE_FETISHIST]
    • View Profile

Hells HFS yes! A noble district. Complete with magma flooding device dangerous traps which injure, but not kill anyone. And don't forget the bloody incompetent dwarven medics. Any doctor who manages to kill off a noble will receive a room equivalent to the noble he killed. If he doesn't manage to kill the noble and improves enough to be a real doc, he'll be treating my dwarves.

There WILL be a district just for the elite warriors, since they are awesome, have more use than your generic noble and they earn the resources for their weapons themselves. Goblinite.

And yes, I will enjoy scouting the complex caves with a group of nobles wearing red shirts honourable representants of the dwarven race to contact the subterranean tribespeople and bring them fresh meat technology.
Holy schist, this thread is mica me sick.
DF Players never truly leave.  They just abandon the fortress for a few years and then reclaim.

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A one-dwarf challenge to see how far into the depths just one Urist can go!
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile

BUILD A FORT

TheSpaceMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digital-lifeform.com

Caverns will be awesome.
I am considering having the hospital with grated floors straight over the main dining hall, so even non combat dwarves can shower in the glorious blood of warriors after a great battle.
Poking around with a DFParser.
Bodypart names, creatures names in one easily overviewable place.

Oh my new (old) picture?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Theres a few similar threads going around, but nobodys complaining, so I won't :)

I'll probably get an outpost set up and then take an expedition down into the depths of the caverns.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile

I might create a sort of sick "research facility" led by Doctor meng- er, Urist who I think I'll make a cheese or soap maker.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain

I shall make the Dwarven equivalent of General Hospital: lots of Dwarves getting wounded and stuck in bed while melodramatic and highly unqualified "doctors" pretend to heal them while having affairs with one another.  It'll be just like a soap opera, only with less opera and more Goblins.  But still lots of soap.  Doctor Urist needs his soap.
Sanity is for the weak.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Theres a few similar threads going around, but nobodys complaining, so I won't :)

I'll probably get an outpost set up and then take an expedition down into the depths of the caverns.

Sorry, my excitement got the better of me  :P

Tokkius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Experimental (and Ambiguously) Medicinal Research & Development center.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the first thing you'll do in the new version of Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:33:11 pm »

Sorry, my excitement got the better of me  :P

Don't worry about it, the thread is fine here. Its not like they are cropping up by the dozens.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 04:49:06 pm »

Oh. Creatures can have poison clouds, right?
...Hm.

[CREATURE:AI]
   [NAME:GLaDOS:GLaDOS:GLaDOS]
   [INTELLIGENT] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:cynical lies]
   [PREFSTRING:tasty neurotoxin]

If applied correctly, I think I could have large amounts of Fun next version... A whole new use for nobles.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 04:50:34 pm »

by the sounds of it, try to figure out how to play in asci instead of the sprites I am using.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

Yea, me too... until Mike Mayday gets his graphics pack set up for the new release.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 04:56:49 pm »

Well, I'm gonna play it first of all.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8