Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicide Bombers?  (Read 1271 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Suicide Bombers?
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:14:25 am »

My latest fortress already has all the dwarves it currently requires, but always has an influx of new immigrants. So I've been thinking up a method on how to watch them "become useful" with minimal resources used on them.

1. If I surround an exit with lava and walls will the heat be enough to set clothes on fire?
2. If #1 does not work, will a magmafall trap be sufficient to light them on fire?
3. Will dwarves on fire still continue to their squad destination if I lock the door behind them?
4. Will the fire spread to the enemies or surrounding flora upon contact?
5. Will wrestling with enemies cause the fire to spread to them?
6. If it doesn't work out, will it at least be interesting to watch?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:31:05 am by Blaze »

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Bombers?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:42:22 am »

1:probably not, but it depends on the natural temperature of your biome, in a scorching biome which doesn't set anything alight yet, it might be enough to tip it over the edge
2:yes, but they will likely die instantly
3 they will continue with their usual business, but they will be dead very, very fast
4 you can set grass alight, and I think enemies too, but you have to be in their square
5 I don't think the dwarf will last that long, but it should theoretically do this
6just burning grass will usually clear out the invasion, and the burning is very nice to watch, but without going up Z-levels it can be rather short.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 11:50:16 am »

You know, you can always put out the metaphorical "No Vacancies" sign by going into your init file and dropping your max population if you really don't want more dwarves. 

Maybe not as fun as murdering the people you don't feel like making useful, but it IS less work.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22:00 pm »

Code: [Select]
   ___
   _I_
  #~~~#
...óI....

_ - floor
I - support
# - wall
~ - magma
ó - lever

Will cause cavein with magma mist and large magma puddle - will kill everything in 10 tile radius.

Denitelly glorious suicice for whoever pulls it.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22:36 pm »

(huh, why is this autoquoted in new post, messed up edit-post function?)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:37:17 am by zwei »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:28:25 pm »

There's always a need for more haulers and more spear catchers.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:01:52 pm »

A dwarf on fire will continue about his buisness until he notices he is injured.  Then he will go for rest as normal.  If he is too injured to find a bed, another dwarf will come and collect him. 

Have fun!
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:13:54 pm »

A couple of miners managed to drop 1/7 of magma on their heads earlier while I was trying to punch through an aquifier.  They got some injuries and managed to set my barracks on fire before dying.  Within a minute most of my fort was just a cloud of smoke and blood would randomly splatter on the walls.  Judging by my experiences, it would work if you use very small quantities of magma and use some beds outside of your fortress to lure both the enemies and the suicide bombers there.  It would be much easier just to use the magma or fire directly though :)
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:29:01 pm »

This is going to end terribly hilariously and you have no one to blame but yourself.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:36:05 pm »

Ah!  You could set up little bedrooms outside all around the map (might have to dig into some soil to put the beds out there), and forbid them.  Then, you can set up some unlinked levers outside for the condemned to play with, while you lock the doors to your fort.  After that, when the seige comes, have your condemned ignite themselves, and unforbid the beds near the incoming seigers, and let your blazing dwarf-bombs run towards them.  (Or, you know, just make them wrestlers, and activate them and send them into the enemy lines.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 02:52:43 pm »

Can dwarves actually take magma and fill a pond with it using iron buckets?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:55:38 pm »

Is there any way to set balista bolts on fire and then fire them without setting the operator or siege equipment on fire?
(including with modding)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 03:15:56 pm »

Is there any way to set balista bolts on fire and then fire them without setting the operator or siege equipment on fire?
(including with modding)

You can change your dwarves' temperatures so that they are not damaged by magma and store the ammo with an iron bin of burning lignite. I doubt it's possible to reliably set a flying arrow on fire, though, because i don't think temperature is calculated every step, and unless you have enough heat sources (as well as the arrow being easily-enough heatable) it will most likely not increase in temperature at all or sufficiently to do burning damage.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?