Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What makes Dwarf Fortress different from many other donation based projects?  (Read 3579 times)

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shouldn't that be ☼CAT☼ ?

I think it should be (☼CAT☼)
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile

6:He listens to his user base for suggestions and requests but doesn't blindly do what whatever people shout for.

If you're developing a game and you base all your decisions on what the users ask for you're going to end up with a very generic game theme that will gradually approach  this:
"Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot Cowboy Hobos With Chain-Katanas And Several Revolvers And The Power Of Friendship Fighting Vampire Nazis With Dark Magic Riding Cyborg Dinosaurs With Head Mounted Lasers Voiced By Kevin Michael Richardson Attacked by Snakes On A Motherfrakkin' Submarine Jet With Desert Polar Bears Crashing Into An Ancient Zeppelin With Alien Anacondas In SPACE With Chuck Norris And Samuel L Jackson With Lesbian Time Travelling Bikini Werewolf Catgirls Dual Wielding Febreze Part 2: This Time, It's Personal"

Which despite sounding cool is just.... well old.

siggd...  Well as much as possible  :D
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

6:He listens to his user base for suggestions and requests but doesn't blindly do what whatever people shout for.

If you're developing a game and you base all your decisions on what the users ask for you're going to end up with a very generic game theme that will gradually approach  this:
"Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot Cowboy Hobos With Chain-Katanas And Several Revolvers And The Power Of Friendship Fighting Vampire Nazis With Dark Magic Riding Cyborg Dinosaurs With Head Mounted Lasers Voiced By Kevin Michael Richardson Attacked by Snakes On A Motherfrakkin' Submarine Jet With Desert Polar Bears Crashing Into An Ancient Zeppelin With Alien Anacondas In SPACE With Chuck Norris And Samuel L Jackson With Lesbian Time Travelling Bikini Werewolf Catgirls Dual Wielding Febreze Part 2: This Time, It's Personal"

Which despite sounding cool is just.... well old.

siggd...  Well as much as possible  :D

It's called AXECOP.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile

the fact that DF is still in alpha version and already better than most finished commercial games.
And let's face it, DF is the ultimate geek game. :)
This is a bad statement.

You can't really say it's better than x shooter, because x shooter is a totally different genre. You can't say it's better than x sim either, because of the setting, the focus, the mechanics, etc. I know it's nice to see a game drift away from total abstraction, but something somewhere's not going to make any sense if you transposed it directly into a real world environment.

There's no way I worded that well enough.

In regards to the original topic: I'd say it's the developer feedback. You hardly ever see something like that nowadays aside from Valve (just look at the TF2 blog). I can name a few developers that support their fans in larger events, though, but odds are you won't find anecdotes on mind-numbing alpha code drudgery.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Part of it for me is also that it is a project that has little intention of ending. So by donating you are not simply helping the developer make it through a temporary situation to finish the project (and then sell commercially), but you're directly paying for his continued livelihood. It's almost like busking or something. I like it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I first donated when I realized that I play Dwarf Fortress more then any other game I own, period.

I started donating $15 a month when I realized that I'd much rather play Dwarf Fortress the WoW, and then canceled that subscription and moved the money over to Toady. Better spent, in my opinion.

And I agree that the constant updates make a huge difference. Even though we haven't had a release in over a year I *know* he's working on it and that we're close. And I'm excited by what's going to be in the next release. So my donations are sort of an investment in my own future happiness.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will donate next month, because there will never be a DUngeon Keeper 3.

Except maybe as a DF mod!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile

Well i think too Df is one of the best geek games - just because its educational. I mean how many science stuff is in there from what we can learn stuff. Not to mention what educational things will be in the next version.

Thus i think it draws many geeks to itself because it contains stuff said geeks are interested in - geologist will say "Neat it has rocks in the right places", geneticists will find genetics in the next version, politics, sociology, physics etc. etc.

One point i think that makes DF so awesome is that everything gets randomly generated. Storys upon storys unfold before your eyes. Tragedies, love storys, war stories and so on in a living working world which is thanks to the computer almost 100% consistend. This means also that every game is different - in both modes actually - which is more then awesome. Also noone can spoil the story to you.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com

Well i think too Df is one of the best geek games - just because its educational. I mean how many science stuff is in there from what we can learn stuff. Not to mention what educational things will be in the next version.
This is the first game I have ever played where in learning to play you have to apply Scientific Method.
Come up with a theory of how/why stuff works, then prove or disprove it to yourself.
Some of the answers are that unexpected they become threads on this forum that live for "a very long time" (internet time-wise, anyway). Threads like, the water pressure thread (how water pressure actually works vs how most people assume it works).
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's also a completed and not a completed project; you can play it, but there's more to come, too. That helps.
Pages: 1 [2]