Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Will there be a new graphical tileset released with the new DF2010?  (Read 4284 times)

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will there be a new graphical tileset released with the new DF2010?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:54 am »

It isn't a rant and that's not even the main point, I was just saying that it would be useful if Toady released some information regarding the tilesets so that people can produce graphical tilesets for this version that will be available from the day it is released for those of us who prefer to play without ASCII.

This came up awhile ago over in FotF; the answer was pretty much no.

Quote from: RantingRodent
Is it possible to get a list of the new undergrounds creatures so that graphics packs can get an early start on creating sprites for them?

Nah...  something needs to be kept back for people.  Of course, people can just break out the raws once they download it and enable the arena and spoil everything for everybody.  I don't know.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 10:31:07 am »

It isn't a rant and that's not even the main point, I was just saying that it would be useful if Toady released some information regarding the tilesets so that people can produce graphical tilesets for this version that will be available from the day it is released for those of us who prefer to play without ASCII.

This came up awhile ago over in FotF; the answer was pretty much no.

Is it possible to get a list of the new undergrounds creatures so that graphics packs can get an early start on creating sprites for them?

Nah...  something needs to be kept back for people.  Of course, people can just break out the raws once they download it and enable the arena and spoil everything for everybody.  I don't know.

Hmmm... that's a pain. I wish he'd email it to a couple of the people who make tilesets and tell them to keep it secret and release on the day... Or maybe he has... dun dun dunnnn.  ::)

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:10 am »

I don't agree with Toady's stance on this and here's why:

The game is pretty much inaccessible without things like the dfwiki. A lot of stuff isn't intuitively obvious, so there are clearly going to be people who open up the raws and stuff as soon as it's released and post useful information up on the wiki. This is done responsibly and people can keep from seeing things which will spoil their experience.

Similarly, if Toady provides the relevant information then those who wish to use it can use it. The rest of us can ignore it, I can't even understand the raws anyway. : )

I really don't like playing using letters representing creatures, the few times I have tried it I can never find what I'm after. G is for what: Goblins, giants or goats?

It'll make a big difference to me, having a graphics set available, and I think that the rather arbitrary "something needs to be kept back for people" argument is extremely spurious.

Cymsdale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:05 am »

I don't begrudge people who like graphical tilesets, but I find the ASCII easier to view honestly. Certain ASCII symbols jump out easier to me than the graphical counterparts.

I don't agree that the game is inaccessible without the wiki (although it is a great resource!). I enjoyed the game before it, and I found the discovery fun.

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 11:58:10 am »

Right - so how should we request that the creature list be released? My suggestion is that (given toady's hesitation to reveal all the new creatures to the public) it's given to a few volunteers who intend to make graphics packs and promise to not tell anyone, who will then release the packs on the day that the new edition is released. Although people aren't that reliable - would it really be that much of a loss anyway..?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 01:10:03 pm »

Toady doesn't, as a general rule, work with people. But if it's that big a deal to you, just wait until Mayday's updated version comes out. Seriously, no big deal.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that...after all the 40d## branch is being merged into the new release.

As for an answer Rantingrodents tileset is *PARTIALLY* ready for DF 2010 I believe. Already has a sprite for the surgeon and whatnot. The readme even states that there are some things in there that are not going to be used until DF 2010 comes out.

I use it myself and find it to be pretty all encompassing.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29706.0 <== link to mod

these three were added with v 1.07 (latest is 1.07a)
- Added Physician (will not appear in-game until the next version of DF)
- Added Head Physician (will not appear in-game until the next version of DF)
- Added Quartermaster (will not appear in-game until the next version of DF)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:15:37 pm by dennislp3 »

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 02:59:51 pm »

Toady doesn't, as a general rule, work with people. But if it's that big a deal to you, just wait until Mayday's updated version comes out. Seriously, no big deal.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that...after all the 40d## branch is being merged into the new release.

As for an answer Rantingrodents tileset is *PARTIALLY* ready for DF 2010 I believe. Already has a sprite for the surgeon and whatnot. The readme even states that there are some things in there that are not going to be used until DF 2010 comes out.

I use it myself and find it to be pretty all encompassing.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=29706.0 <== link to mod

these three were added with v 1.07 (latest is 1.07a)
- Added Physician (will not appear in-game until the next version of DF)
- Added Head Physician (will not appear in-game until the next version of DF)
- Added Quartermaster (will not appear in-game until the next version of DF)

Ah, that gets my hopes up! There's so much more than just those three to do though, reading through the updates there are animal-people, bat-men, rideable bats, I think I read ant-men...

Man, I'm so excited.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 06:04:22 pm »

Antmen, batmen, and animal people are already in this game I believe.
Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »

If all is well RantingRodent will be updating his awesome pack for the new release.

edit: Looks like that was mentioned already. But it can't hurt saying it again. :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:36:42 pm by carebear »

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04:15 pm »

Sorta off topic, but I heard Toady may be implementing the ability to put objects in graphical tilesets like we do with creatures. So, for example, you can have different icons for a shirt and a pair of pants.

My question is if I heard right about this. ???
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 11:30:43 pm »

By the time you encounter really new megabeasts, a new tileset will already have been released. Don't worry.

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 06:36:51 am »

Sorta off topic, but I heard Toady may be implementing the ability to put objects in graphical tilesets like we do with creatures. So, for example, you can have different icons for a shirt and a pair of pants.

My question is if I heard right about this. ???

Footkerchief said this on 24th Feb:

when can we mod the objects so that they are not using letters/ASCII characters, example the pillar is reusing the O, the armor & clothes all use the [,  etc. basically, have the same system as creatures, but for objects. We would then identify a plate mail from a silk shirt visually ;)   (and yes I'm into that...).

This is a dev item:

# Core50, TILESET SUPPORT, (Future): Allow graphical tiles to be used for all game objects.

If your question is "when," there's no definite timeline, but "Full graphics support" is #7 on ESV, so there's a good chance Toady will work on it in the near future.

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.

At what version, if any, will multi tiles monsters come into play? Like wagons but bosses where each part is different.

Nobody knows when that'll happen, not even Toady.  It's a popular suggestion, but a difficult one to implement.

Footkerchief is almost always right. So that's your answer: not this version, but fairly soon.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 09:11:35 am »

The problem with Toady just releasing the new creatures or something in a spoiler tag so that folks that want to make sets or add them to the wiki can know about them and prepare is exactly the same as this problem:

Remember when the next version's
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
were supposed to be a big secret?  Toady had even made a short little text adventure to make folks that wanna know about it have to work for it.  Now half the time people don't even talk about them in spoiler tags.  Everybody already knows everything about them.

Same thing would probably happen if he released information about new critters early.  Sure I'm diving right into the raws the moment it is released, but I'm just going in there to add entries, I shouldn't have much trouble avoiding seeing the new stuff.   I wanna be surprised dammit.  Toady mentions anything about new critters and it would be all over the forums in a week.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 09:56:27 am »

I started playing with graphical tilesets.
Then i dove into ASCII after to see what its like.
I liked ASCII, much more detail and more information and my imagination went wild, now i can see everything just as clear.

I bet it's easier to first do graphical tileset to see what its like, learn the game etc then once you know it try out ASCII and it's easy as anything...I pretty much was playing like normal within 5 minutes.

Biggist benefit is I don't have to also wait for new updates(Which i bet will happen more frequent after this massive one) and all that stuff!
If a elf dies in a forest and only dwarfs are around to see it does anyone care?

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 02:42:09 pm »

Greiger,

The learning curve actively works against any notion of spoiler content. People get frustrated and look up how to play the game, and when they get to the wiki and see a spoiler hidden area they already don't care anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3