Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urist McHorderdwarf cancels Store Owned Item: Item inaccessable x300  (Read 1275 times)

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile

I just assigned a room to a fairly important dwarf (one of my starting seven), and gave him a cabinet,  a chest, and a few weapons racks to improve the room's value.
I am swiftly coming to regret it.
He won't stop spamming this message, and for the life of me I can't figure out what he's after! I can't just mass forbid everything outside (since I'm doing a sectioned fort, with one group outside, raising and army to fight the gobbos, and one inside to build the towers to amork)
I don't want to just throw him out, but it's driving me nuts, and I'm tempted to toss him off the tower and put on his headstone "He Wouldn't Shut Up"
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McHorderdwarf cancels Store Owned Item: Item inaccessable x300
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:45:46 am »

I have the same problem. It would be good if there was a way to see a list of items the dwarf owns, at the very least.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:48:07 am »

That's what happens when you try to segregate your Dwarves.  You may recognize the split, but they don't: all possessions in the fort not deemed "owned" can be claimed by any Dwarf, regardless of whether they can path to it.  It'd be wise to wait until DF2010 to try that, since that will have the ability to establish fortress sub-regions (and your Dwarves presumably will be forced to stick to them and not commute/claim items outside of them).
Sanity is for the weak.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:48:36 am »

Theres probably some item stuck at the bottom of a pool. Have you had any of your (or merchant) dwarves die in water? This is generally the major reason why you get this spam.

Mass forbidding wouldn't help anyway since they will ignore forbid orders on their owned items.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:56:47 am »

Theres probably some item stuck at the bottom of a pool. Have you had any of your (or merchant) dwarves die in water? This is generally the major reason why you get this spam.

Mass forbidding wouldn't help anyway since they will ignore forbid orders on their owned items.
In the middle of a desert, so I can very definately say that no merchants have died in water
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:00:06 am »

In the middle of a desert, so I can very definately say that no merchants have died in water

What about an UG river or pool? A pool is easy enough to drain, but a river is a harder hassle to deal with when you get this problem.

Just checking really as its generally the major cause of the cancels store owned item spam.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:53:02 am »

If you've physically separated the two groups, you could open up a path for this one dwarf to go and claim whatever he has claimed, but then you'd have the same problem with the next dwarf, and so on.

The solutions seem to be, no cabinets/chests for anyone (the mayor won't like this...) or start atomsmashing random clothes outside until he stops.  You can narrow it down by setting up a large stockpile and seeing what doesn't get moved.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:08:36 am »

OPEN THE DOOR MY FAVORITE SOCK IS OUT THERE!!!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.