Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: If you could automate anything...  (Read 3524 times)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If you could automate anything...
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:12:11 am »

If you could automate anything with a machine in Dwarf Fortress, what would you automate?

Edit: I mean things that could be done with a machine no matter how complicated. Sorry for the unclear-ness.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:49:16 am by immibis »
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
Re: If you could automate anything...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:38 am »

I would like to teach the dwarves how to pull levers on their own, so as to operate airlocks and such. Failing that, I'd like to teach them how to path through pressure plate paths.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:21:43 am »

Teach them in what order you should build walls. "UristMcRetard cancels everything, trapped self in effing square structure."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:31:20 am »

Teach them in what order you should build walls. "UristMcRetard cancels everything, trapped self in effing square structure."

This.

*set corner piece priority to max*

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:10 am »

*set corner piece priority to max*

I know this is not quite what you meant but the idea of being able to set priorities in general would help A LOT.

"You, Mason!  See that horde of goblins coming?  See this wall I've ordered you to construct across the hallway to stop them?  That wall is REEEEALLY important.  Completing 15 mugs and picking up random socks - not so much."
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:31 am »

Most of the problems with DF's systems are quirky but manageable.  What I'd like to see is full workshop automation by way of a Standing Orders menu: set it so that plants will be auto-brewed, meats will be auto-cooked into lavish meals as soon as enough ingredients are on hand, all quarry bushes automatically get bagged, all milk automatically gets made into cheese, there are always a minimum of x (optimally y) barrels/bags/bins free and more will be built when it drops below x until y is reached...  Basically, I want my Dwarves to not quit all work and wait for me to micromanage their jobs when their jobs should be possible to automate.
Sanity is for the weak.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 01:47:33 am »

I was thinking mainly of in-game things that could be automated using elaborate mechanisms. Sorry if that was unclear, I'll edit the OP.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:12:59 am »

Might be drifting a bit out-of-period, but wouldn't it be nice to have a conveyor system for all the bloody rough stone (not that it has to be only for stone, but I can tolerate the rest)?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:23:27 am »

I would like a pressure plate in the Trade Depot that delivered a mild, but irritating shock to the Trader every 5th frame that he wasn't standing on the Depot while he was requested there.

My dwarves just seem to LOVE doing anything except trading... "

Ohh! You need that ring made. Oh Oh! There's a fish out by the river! Hey! That's a nice statue! I'm tired..... Wow! I just looooove this engraving... Hey!? Wasn't there a caravan here just a few minutes ago? Why can't I have any booze!!!! RAAAAWR!"

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:35:08 am »

I would like a pressure plate in the Trade Depot that delivered a mild, but irritating shock to the Trader every 5th frame that he wasn't standing on the Depot while he was requested there.

My dwarves just seem to LOVE doing anything except trading... "

Ohh! You need that ring made. Oh Oh! There's a fish out by the river! Hey! That's a nice statue! I'm tired..... Wow! I just looooove this engraving... Hey!? Wasn't there a caravan here just a few minutes ago? Why can't I have any booze!!!! RAAAAWR!"

That problem is a result of how the priority system works at this point.  Any "non-appointed" task gets bottom priority, while designated tasks tend to get top priority, skill-related jobs get the next highest, and hauling gets the next after that.  If you want a Dwarf to stop being an idiot and conduct a meeting or trade at the depot, you literally have to disable all skills so their only option besides trading or conducting a meeting is to idle.
Sanity is for the weak.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 02:36:43 am »

Might be drifting a bit out-of-period, but wouldn't it be nice to have a conveyor system for all the bloody rough stone (not that it has to be only for stone, but I can tolerate the rest)?
Where would you put the stone?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:15 am »

Personally either in magma or under some ever-repeating Dwarven Atom Smasher.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:45:53 am »

Automated dirt/wall digger. And give it to sieging goblins. That would make sieges really fun.

And for dwarves - "lever puller" job, that require dwarf to be at designated lever room at all time. And "pull that lever if you see nasties at that place" command in case of no-trap-triggering enemies.

Conveyor belt.

And that's not mechanism, but still - archery targets, made of something soft, so they don't destroy arrows.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 02:52:06 am »

And for dwarves - "lever puller" job, that require dwarf to be at designated lever room at all time.
And "pull that lever if you see nasties at that place" command in case of no-trap-triggering enemies.

Conveyor belt.

And that's not mechanism, but still - archery targets, made of something soft, so they don't destroy arrows.
I have an idea for the "pull that lever if you see nasties at that place" thing (but not completely reliable). You'd need a reason for multiple dwarves to be in a room within view but out of reach of the place you want to check all the time. A pressure plate at the only entrance/exit would notice when dwarves entered or exited, if there were maybe (number of dwarves - 1 or 2) triggers in a short time, the system would assume they're fleeing and that there was an enemy there.
I don't know how the control system would work, though, to check a certain number of triggers in a short time. Maybe a door lets water into a space that drains slowly and if the water is above 5/7 or so then activate the trap.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 03:29:14 am »

I remember somebody once made a conveyor belt for items.

It was a series of bridges that were on a repeater, so every time they raised they launched the cargo a short distance. Apparently it was quite laggy from all the airborne items all of a sudden.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"
Pages: [1] 2 3