Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What qualifies as defacement?  (Read 2255 times)

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
What qualifies as defacement?
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:14:01 pm »

I'm making my goblin arena to keep my growing army of champions from going entirely nuts. Part of my plan is to make the arena suitably epic by engraving the crap out of it. My worry though is that all the blood that will inevitably be flying will hit a wall or floor engraving, and count as defacement, which would make my engravers sad. I checked the wiki, and it offered a few things that would Certainly cause defacement, but didn't have a comprehensive list. My question then is, would the blood, guts, and various other fluids deface the art that's supposed to cheer up my very morose champions?
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What qualifies as defacement?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »

Splattering with blood or vomit doesn't count as defacement.  If you get them muddy and have underground plants on the map, you can have plants grow there which will count as defacement, but I'm pretty sure that blood doesn't count as mud for the purpose of growing plants.  It would be awesome if it did though.  Imagine a tower-cap farm watered by the blood of elves.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 08:31:13 pm »

Wall engravings should be invulnerable defacement isnt defacing an object so much as destroying it in my experience which is why floor engravings are vulnerable to magma and tower caps of course mining destroys floor and walls.

Blood(and guts) covering them would just make them look nicer but shouldnt count as defacement

though that would be funny if you send your military dworfs outside only for them to vomit all over their armor and send the armorshith into a tantrum casuing a horrible fort destroying spiral

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 08:43:20 pm »

Would also be interesting that in evil biomes, special plants would only grow in ground made 'muddy' by blood?

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:13 pm »

To carry this thought even further and even creepier, would [VIRGIN_BLOOD] or [BABY_BLOOD] grow different plants?
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:55:03 pm »

To carry this thought even further and even creepier, would [VIRGIN_BLOOD] or [BABY_BLOOD] grow different plants?
Hmm? I've never heard of these tags. What do they do?
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:58 pm »

They specify the level of your sacrifices :P
those would be fun tags to have hehe

Edit: Virgin blood would probably grow the tree from Evil Dead  ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:08:49 pm by Darkseed »

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:13:06 pm »

Baby blood would be any newborn dwarf, while virgin blood would come from any (currently) unmarried, non-child dwarf. Then of course, animal blood. I really like this idea. Armok is the God of Blood, after all. :P
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 09:36:40 pm »

What?! No promiscuous dwarves allowed?!

Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 09:44:33 pm »

Baby blood would be any newborn dwarf, while virgin blood would come from any (currently) unmarried, non-child dwarf. Then of course, animal blood. I really like this idea. Armok is the God of Blood, after all. :P
baby blood is virgin blood...
I always knew that young timmy would die a virgin

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 11:01:56 pm »

Hmmm...lets see...if you spilled [BABY_BLOOD] outside your fort, you could grow piranha plants, ala Mario, to defend your fort.
Only in a sinister or haunted Biome, naturally.

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 12:19:42 am »

Hmmm...lets see...if you spilled [BABY_BLOOD] outside your fort, you could grow piranha plants, ala Mario, to defend your fort.

What?
Have you ever played mario man? those biomes are obviously savage or good/savage a few would qualify as evil but those are mostly subterranean.

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 12:32:05 am »

What?
Have you ever played mario man? those biomes are obviously savage or good/savage a few would qualify as evil but those are mostly subterranean.
Right, what was I thinking. The sinister variants would be skeletal and neigh invulnerable