Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dying Thread vs. Dying Cloth?  (Read 7013 times)

Gladius_Lucix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dying Thread vs. Dying Cloth?
« on: March 10, 2010, 12:56:43 pm »

I've been wondering what the difference is. Does dying thread use more dye? Can you get multicolored cloth if you have differently dyed threads used for it, or does it require three threads of the same color?
Resistance is NOT futile, IT MAKES TOAST!

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dying Thread vs. Dying Cloth?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 12:59:59 pm »

No difference in game play. In real life you can do either method, but the dying of threads is most common as you can then weave interesting designs (think kilts, not as yet implemented in DF).

This allows you to buy cloth from traders (like elves), dye it (which increases the value and makes it part of your created wealth), and then sell it at a profit.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:18:51 pm »

I hope more dyes are added. Specifically yellow. Also mixing dyes to make new ones. Red + blue dye makes 2 units of purple. Or adding black to that could make it a dark purple dye.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:20:55 pm »

People have modded in different dye plants which give other colors.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:22:50 pm »

Each cloth takes 1 thread. Dyed thread makes dyed cloth which is identical in every way to undyed cloth that is then dyed. So, there's no difference whatsoever.

The only benefit to dyeing thread instead of cloth is if you have a highly-skilled (and thus fast-working) dyer and a lower-skilled (and thus slower-working) weaver. If you set dye cloth to repeat, your dyer might run you all out of cloth if your weaver can't keep making undyed cloth fast enough. Thread, on the other hand, can be made more quickly since planters can make bigger stacks of pig tails/rope reeds which turn into multiple threads, which means that it is easier for a thresher to keep up with a more-skilled dyer than the weaver would be.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 04:52:50 am »

Ultimately, though, if you leave dwarves with nothing but their one step in the process of clothing sweatshops active so they specialize, you should wind up with thread and cloth levels that are roughly even over time if you are running a smooth operation.

If you set your dwarves to only used dyed cloth, you will want your dyers set to dye cloth because otherwise thread that was woven before your dyers got to it will never get dyed, and never get used.

Because supply can get irregular, however, I just set all my dyers to have alternating repeat orders of dye cloth and dye thread.  That way, if one runs out, the other is still there.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:57:26 am »

This allows you to buy cloth from traders (like elves), dye it (which increases the value and makes it part of your created wealth), and then sell it at a profit.

You could also just steal everything the elves have. 

Not like they're gonna do anything about...pansies.

This will also lead to them bringing more animals because they aren't filling up their wagons with rope reed cloth.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:22:36 am »

If you set your dwarves to only used dyed cloth, you will want your dyers set to dye cloth because otherwise thread that was woven before your dyers got to it will never get dyed, and never get used.

How do I set my clothier etc to only use dyed cloth? I have looked & looked... :(

Assistance would be much appreciated!
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:46:04 am »

Options -> "W" workshop.

Holzfaust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:04:26 am »

Each cloth takes 1 thread. Dyed thread makes dyed cloth which is identical in every way to undyed cloth that is then dyed. So, there's no difference whatsoever.[...]

Thats right, but even thougth i am may be wrong doesn't sewing an image on clothing use a thread too? This way not only your cloth is dyed but also the image resulting in a higher value piece of clothing. Can anyone confirm this?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:59 am »

No, cloth is used to sew images.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?