Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: weirdest engravings?  (Read 4956 times)

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: weirdest engravings?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 04:48:26 pm »

DarkDragon - it's when a hostile thing kills wild animal/tame animal without name during combat.

If you turn an option in init.txt, you will see whole history behind the event, and that surely will be someone hostile killing the poor animal.

Actually, full history is on, or I wouldn't be getting the "this relates to the blah and blah in the blah of blah".

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:51:42 pm »

I remember an engraving of pixies, called "Breakfast of Delights". Don't know if it was one of mine or somebody else's, but visualizing it gave me hours of fun.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »

I remember an engraving of pixies, called "Breakfast of Delights". Don't know if it was one of mine or somebody else's, but visualizing it gave me hours of fun.

That could only be more hilarious if it was called "Breakfast of Champions".

Mmm... pixies.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 05:53:09 pm »

I get these strange engravings that I'm pretty sure are a bug, they usually go something like this:

"Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of    the dog.    is falling. This engraving relates to the killing of    the dog in Boatfliers in the summer of 220."

"is falling" can be "is in a fetal position" or "is burning" or any number of other horrible things. But it's always a space where the name should be, and then "the dog".

I do slaughter puppies by the hundreds for food, so maybe that's what this is about, not sure.

Very strange.

I had engravings like that in a few nobles' rooms after a dog passed out on top of a weapon trap.
" The dog is screaming"   :-[
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 06:01:29 pm »

Morul Constructamused needs a new hobby.  This fort has seen two sieges, eight (failed) kidnapping attempts, at least as many Kobold thieves failing to break in, a half-dozen ambushes, and what does he choose to engrave (besides infinitely recursive engravings of himself)?  Some Dwarf baking biscuits.  Masterwork biscuits, granted, but still.  The champion Hammerdwarves have slain almost a hundred Goblins, and he carves a picture of some horse meat biscuits that everyone refuses to touch.  And worse, it's a masterwork engraving, meaning he's inevitably going to make THAT into an infinite recursion too.

"The Uncle of Waste", it's called.  Quite the appropriate title.
Sanity is for the weak.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 06:58:31 pm »

This isn't a "weird" engraving, but it's pretty cool. Directly behind the throne in my 9x-Royal throne room is an engraving of the symbol of my civilization. I've toggled off all the other engravings in the room so that it's easier to see, but not that one.

It is entitled "The Geared Systems", which is pretty cute since there are a lot of gear assemblies in my current fort. Unfortunately, it's only Exceptional.

Double unfortunately, my queen hasn't shown up, even though I've had all the requirements met for a year or so.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 07:02:57 pm by EliDupree »

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 11:41:26 pm »

My dwarves love their muscles. They always engrave them, and turning on full history, it happens to be the civilization symbol of the mountainhomes. Oh, and the "original" engraving of muscles that started the fettish was masterwork.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 03:38:14 am »

Tell me the original engraving was called "Hunk Rump", please.

Also, I never thought muscles was a viable symbol in DF.
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 01:02:16 pm »

Tell me the original engraving was called "Hunk Rump", please.

Also, I never thought muscles was a viable symbol in DF.

I'm pretty sure the symbol is 'supposed' to be referring to muscles, as in the clam-things that you eat, not muscles as in "Strong like Hulk".

But it's dwarves, so either works.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 01:18:38 pm »

Ah, just so you know, the clam-like mollusks are called mussels, not muscles.  Same pronunciation, different spelling.  Mollusks tend to get weird names like that, the strangest being geoduck (pronounced "gooey-duck" for some reason).
Sanity is for the weak.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 02:19:28 pm »

Sounds like something out of Pokemon.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2010, 08:30:45 pm »

Ah, just so you know, the clam-like mollusks are called mussels, not muscles.  Same pronunciation, different spelling.  Mollusks tend to get weird names like that, the strangest being geoduck (pronounced "gooey-duck" for some reason).

Right, fair enough, still I'd bet it's still what the civ symbol is trying to be and Toady has em mis-spelled.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2010, 08:55:47 pm »

"This is a Wizard"

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 12:34:14 am »

"The Syrup of Crafts:" Engraved on the wall is an image of a dog. The dog is screaming. This image relates to the killing of the dog in Beergut in 207.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 09:58:23 am »

An Engraving of a dwarf ripping off an orc's head. I don't know if this is 'weird' but it's pretty awesome. There are a few of these engravings scattered around my fort.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5