Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What level of fantasy elements should the game include?

None at all. Just humans doing human stuff.
Some fantastical creatures, but just humans.
Fantastical creatures, wizards, the whole nine yards.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: TRIBES 2 - A Whole New World - YEAR EIGHT RESULTS UP  (Read 11661 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: TRIBES 2 - A Whole New World - YEAR EIGHT RESULTS UP
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2010, 09:23:56 am »

Yay, finally in :)
The Sakhalin tribe was mostly nomadic in it's early years, as they relied on hunting they moved on the great plains with their prey, the great bisons which made up the majority of the tribes food supply.One year tragedy struck as nearly half the tribe was killed when a rampaging herd plowed trough the settlement.Thus it was decided that it was time to settle for good, luckily the great plains were quite a pleasant place and they settled at it's very edge near a great river.Forests could be seen on the other shore and the plains on their side provided ample food troughout the year.
The Sakhlain are somewhat taller than average humas as most of their men reach the height of 2 meteres by the time they enter their early twenties.They are of thinner than most humans but are quite resilient as their hunting traditions are often very physically demanding, their skin is darker and they usually have light brown hair, altough red and blonde are also common.Facial hair is usually grow when men enter their thirties and take on more serius matters of the tribe.
The one thing that is a trademark of their culture is their annual Great Hunt that is actually a rite of passage for the young men to reach full adulthood, it takes place on the plains and participants are groups of up to three adolescents of ages from 16 to 19.The hunt is entirely on foot and is one of the reasons why they enjoy speed so much, running by wild bisons the task is to knock them over and kill them using only wooden poles, while very dangerous this kind of hunting ensures that the tribes' men are always in perfect physical condition.

OK so first actions:
1.As the tribe settles by the river it will need a more permanent solution when it comes to housing, holes are dug up to 1 meter in depth as the preparation for the construction
2.Men go out to hunt for any wild game they can find, provided it is large enough so that even a dozen can provide for the village, if possible they will capture the animals alive and try to tame them
3.Women and children will prepare the land for growing food, digging up soil near the river and fining suitable seeds to plant in it
4.Wood is gathered from the other side of the river and construction has begun on the houses, they will be build half underground so that they provide better shelter and leave room for improvement later on
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 11, 2010, 09:02:57 am »

What would you like your bonuses to be in, Jopax?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2010, 01:45:26 pm »

Hunting and the preparing land for farming ones, if i get only one then hunting
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 11, 2010, 01:59:10 pm »

You have +3 to distribute however you'd like (could be one +3, a +2 and a +1, or three +1s).

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 11, 2010, 02:54:37 pm »

Oh, ok then, a +2 to the hunting and a +1 to farming
AS - IG

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 11, 2010, 03:00:59 pm »

Cool. I'll be posting results sometime tomorrow.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:01 am »

Bunch of work came in today, no turn will be posted.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 13, 2010, 12:08:36 pm »

I wanted to throw this out there and see what everyone thought... I am getting sick of all the calculations and rolling and writing that this game requires, so I'm sort of tempted to let it go to the wayside. However, everyone seems to be enjoying the game, so I wouldn't mind keeping it going if I could get the turns out with less work. With the rolling and writing and math, it usually is taking me several hours to complete each turn, and it has become more of a thing I procrastinate and try not to do rather than something fun and simple.

I'm putting the game on "pause" officially, until I can figure out how best to make it easier and more enjoyable for me. It'll probably end up simpler, although I'm still ruminating on the mechanics. I'm open to any suggestions, so let me know if you've got a great idea. If I can't think of anything, or if the desire to continue isn't there, I'll just retire the game.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 13, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »

Do a turn each day perhaps, same amount of work but spaced out a bit more so it looks like less :D
AS - IG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:02 pm »

I could probably write you a BASIC program for a TI calculator that would roll many dice at once.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:06 pm »

Here's a few solutions:

Writing - as a creative endeavour, it's hard to automate. However, if you write up enough standard/stock answers and save them somewhere where they are easily stored and retrievable, then you can provide them whenever someone goes fishing, farming, etc... Thus, they can done ahead of time or even by other people.

Rolling - It's easy enough to roll the dice, I find, but harder to apply bonuses (before and after). As penalties are only applied after and are generally standard, they're easy to deal with (you lose x number of people!). You can deal with this by making a list of bonuses that can be gained (and applied), but the issue then becomes that it limits player creativity, unless you're willing to expand that list, which negates the entire point of having the list. There's also a balance issue that as people get better at finding food, they also get better at getting better at finding food.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 13, 2010, 04:28:09 pm »

Yeah, the writing isn't the part that bothers me so much.

I think it's mostly the calculations, that's bothering me. For example, the way I have it set up now, 1/10th of the children become adults, and I have to divide them equally between men and women, and then 1 for every 50 men and women become elders, and then 1 for every 50 elders die... just kind of a clunky system, when you have to do it for 8 tribes and then apply any bonuses/accidents/etc.

I also agree with the fact that the balance with food and some of the bonuses is off. I gave out some lopsided bonuses at the beginning, when they weren't standard (+10 children per turn... what was I thinking?). So I'll probably end up coming up with something more balanced and streamlined. Probably just throw food gathering out of the equation, probably remove the M/W/C/E categories and just give each tribe a "Population", and probably reduce the number of actions per turn to two (so I can get turns out quicker and it becomes 16 actions to roll for rather than 32). Food would be assumed.

This probably would come with a bonus reset, maybe wiping out bonuses all together, make it more of a GM discretion thing based on how well it was written (which would encourage a bit of RP, which I like)... I think where the game is faulty is where I built up the mechanics too much.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 13, 2010, 04:34:04 pm »

I think food gathering should still be a skill, but I agree with the population thing. It's just too difficult to track that many population groups.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2010, 08:34:14 pm »

At least you didn't set up a d10,000,000 roll to make sure none of the women would have quintuplets.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Argoroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2010, 04:18:08 am »

If this is still alive, please add me to the waiting list, if not, can somebody please point me to a similar one? I played an old god game in high-school that was similar to this, and wanted to get back into a similar game.
This is a dwarf beard HEPA filter. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of aluminum and menaces with spikes of cave lobster shell. On the item is an image of a dwarf in carp leather. The dwarf is coughing.

Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for these only gave life, those the art of living well. - Aristotle
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12