Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I'll meet you later, Dammit!  (Read 2287 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
I'll meet you later, Dammit!
« on: March 09, 2010, 11:24:42 pm »

So, I'm digging a channel to the magma vent I've found. the humie guild rep is following a miner who is my expedition leader. Suddenly, the miner channels the ground out from under the human. I quickly cancel digging  the channel that would let the magma in, and dig him a stairway to get out. no biggie.

Then, as i'm digging the channels for the furnaces, they channel under him a second time. I've already got magma flowing down, and he barely escapes ahead of the magma.

I'm going to put off digging for a little bit, just to avoid any diplomatic accidents.

Either my dwarves hate humans, or the human hates his job a lot!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: I'll meet you later, Dammit!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:44:50 pm »

I think it's the priority system that hates the player, actually.  Diplomatic actions are given bottom priority (below even hauling jobs!), and diplomats are required to follow the fort's trader (or mayor, failing that) around like a lost puppy until the meetings conclude.  Inattentive players can end up with a situation where their trader has the liaison/diplomat trailing him/her for months on end.
Sanity is for the weak.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:24:24 am »

It is rather annoying, yes. But how do you put the blame on inattentive players? If there's any way to speed up the meetings, I would be happy to know.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 12:46:10 am »

It's annoying, but it works: remove all labors from your trader temporarily.  Since they won't have any specific jobs, their only options are to remove constructions or conduct the meeting.  This is why I always make my trader Dwarf only focus on bookkeeping, trading, and one other labor (usually mechanics or furnace operating), so I don't have to re-enable a dozen different labors after every meeting.
Sanity is for the weak.

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:06:48 am »

IIRC drafting them is supposed to work to I think diplomacy is slightly higher then violence as undwarfly as that is

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:48:09 am »

It is rather annoying, yes. But how do you put the blame on inattentive players? If there's any way to speed up the meetings, I would be happy to know.
Once your dwarf starts the meeting pause the game & switch to designate mode (d key). Designate some unmined rock for mining (drawing circles with the mouse works) & you'll find that the tick you get for every designate command moves the meetings along as the liason/diplomat & whichever noble they're decided to harass never move away from each other to stop the meeting. You may be able to achieve the same using the '.' key to "Advance time by one-step (while paused)".
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:16 am »

I never dig entire channels for the furnaces. I just dig the tunnels first, fill with magma, and then dig out a tile for the workshops.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:31:56 am »

Lol reminds me...

Two forts ago when I was in the process of making my magma plumbing, I had just finished the tunnels and was about to wall them off. My broker happened to also be a mason.

He goes to build the wall, the liason stands exactly 2 tiles to the right of him, and the broker just builds the wall right between them, trapping the liason in the magma plumbing. :D

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 04:52:24 pm »

...the tick you get for every designate command moves the meetings along as the liason/diplomat & whichever noble they're decided to harass never move away from each other to stop the meeting.

Aha, that explains it. I was running Quickfort to designate a large area for mining during a meeting, and the meeting screens kept popping up. Since I use Quickfort often, I've just stopped using it during meetings.

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 04:53:25 pm »

It's annoying, but it works: remove all labors from your trader temporarily.  Since they won't have any specific jobs, their only options are to remove constructions or conduct the meeting.

They can also harvest plants, if you have "all dwarves harvest" turned on. I've had to turn that off to force meetings to happen.

Edit: sorry about the double post. I'm used to forums where double posts are automatically merged. I'd fix it myself, but I don't see an option to delete this second post.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:48:15 pm »

Lol reminds me...

Two forts ago when I was in the process of making my magma plumbing, I had just finished the tunnels and was about to wall them off. My broker happened to also be a mason.

He goes to build the wall, the liason stands exactly 2 tiles to the right of him, and the broker just builds the wall right between them, trapping the liason in the magma plumbing. :D
"So yeah, about those trees... um, are you walling me in?"
"Are you trying to get walled in? Go away!"
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 12:13:41 am »

Recruiting your broker and stationing them in their office is the easiest way of killing their labours and getting them to stay in their office until the liaison catches them up. I'm not sure how well this works if they've gained enough military skill to become more than a Recruit, but Recruit brokers will conduct meetings.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:35:47 am »

I think I've had situations where diplomats followed my dwarf around for YEARS without me realizing it.  All of a sudden

"A diplomat has left unhappy."

It made me unhappy.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 06:07:43 am »

I think I've had situations where diplomats followed my dwarf around for YEARS without me realizing it.  All of a sudden

"A diplomat has left unhappy."

It made me unhappy.

Did you start a tantrum spiral & are there masterwork engravings of it?
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 06:52:09 am »

this is why i always cheat with the diplomats nowadays.

once he says hello i pause the game and start to designate mining squared with the mouse. for some reason this forces the covnersation to continue and i can wrap it all up in one sitting.

i thought this was cheating but the last straw came when i intentionally pissed off the elves, and i was fighting goblins while the diplomat was there. he brought up something i dont know what and since i was in the process of pausing and examining a cool part of the battle i accidentally choose .. something. i dont know what but the diplomat seemed pleased. i THINK i agreed not to cut the trees. and that just made my blood boil! the diplomat was imprisoned and executed and i had my war
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2