Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Megabeast: Dire Carp  (Read 3093 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megabeast: Dire Carp
« on: May 25, 2008, 02:58:00 pm »

I propose that when the Carp Bug is fixed in the next version, the bug be memorialized by the creation of a Dire Carp Megabeast, the mother of the current spawn of Carp. And lo; the Dire Carp is not dead, for that is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons of time, every Dwarven Fortress shall die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast: Dire Carp
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

I fully agree that Deadly Carp should be referenced by some sort of (Semi)Megabeast once they are made much less deadly.

I don't agree that it should be called a Dire Carp... Too Dungeons and Dragons.

UNFORTUNATELY I cannot think of better names for the ultimate Carp...

All I can think of is: Golden Carp, Mother Carp, Carpken, God of Carp, or a Carp that has a generated name that appears in Legends in a similar way that Demons do... Like

"Sven Killergut is the God of the Carp and is associated with Death, Pregnancy, and Ore."

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:02:00 pm »

Why not just call it "The Carp". Or Carpzilla. Carpus the Great. Dreadcarpen McDeath. Bloodcarp. Red-painter of streams. "He, who dwelleth in rivers and giveth death".
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 04:06:00 pm »

Carpman?
een failing lately?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

Turn it into one of the pit fiends. Also make elephants into pit fiends as well.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:15:00 pm »

The 'Carp Bug'? I don't get it. What's bugged about Carps? I know they're lethal and everything, and everyone loves to take a ride on the bandwagon, but looking at their raws, they're no more deadly than any other non-vermin fish out there.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dasleah:
<STRONG>The 'Carp Bug'? I don't get it. What's bugged about Carps? I know they're lethal and everything, and everyone loves to take a ride on the bandwagon, but looking at their raws, they're no more deadly than any other non-vermin fish out there.</STRONG>

......do you know big carp in real life are?

THEY'RE 14 INCHES LONG!

The "carp bug" as it were is due to the fact that Toady One simply used a default bite attack for the carp. The carp, half the size of a dwarf, has a bite attack which inflicts 1-6 damage points. Compared to the strength of a dwarven punch (1-2 damage points), it is easy to see that it is simply an oversight and will be fixed some time in the future.

Read the wiki page.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »

The Carp wiki page is one of the great highlights of playing this game. While the 'real' wikipedia is scientific, sterile, and - well, I'm a scientist, so I won't say boring, but...while useful, lines like

"The carp's status as a cold-blooded dwarf killer is no doubt due to the fact that Toady One simply used a default bite attack for the carp (as with most of the new beings in v0.27.169.33a)." ...(etc)

And: "Run. Run and never look back."

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
<STRONG>

......do you know big carp in real life are?

THEY'RE 14 INCHES LONG!

The "carp bug" as it were is due to the fact that Toady One simply used a default bite attack for the carp. The carp, half the size of a dwarf, has a bite attack which inflicts 1-6 damage points. Compared to the strength of a dwarven punch (1-2 damage points), it is easy to see that it is simply an oversight and will be fixed some time in the future.

Read the wiki page.</STRONG>

Well, if we assume that DF Carp are the Common Carp, then I don't know where you're getting the 14 inches long assumption from. See Wikipedia. From that, I'd say that their SIZE needs to be bumped up to 4 or something.

And once again, they're just as deadly as any other non-vermin fish out there. If it's the raws that are wrong, then that's not a bug, it's just.... wrong raws, really. A lot of creatures have 1:6:GORE for an attack.

If they're that bad, why not just release a Realistic Damage Mod, and give them 1:2:GORE with no ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH or something?

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

quote:
Well, if we assume that DF Carp are the Common Carp, then I don't know where you're getting the 14 inches long assumption from. See Wikipedia. From that, I'd say that their SIZE needs to be bumped up to 4 or something.

I believe from this line

quote:
From the Wiki article:
The wild, non-domesticated forms tend to be much less stocky at around 20% - 33% the maximum size.

Edit: Also, I really like the idea of keeping carp as a total watery doom. In fact carp, or rather the stories of carp keep me from making my fortresses in areas with rivers.

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: ricemastah ]

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Yeah, I noticed that too. Perhaps Goblins have domesticated the carp and set them out into the world to further their demonic agenda, hence their larger than average size?

;)

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

Hmmm, how about we call it "Magikarp"?
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

-10 points for Pokemon reference.

Fun Fact: Firefox spellchecker tries to correct 'Pokemon' as 'Daemons'. Looks like the Fundamentalists were right.

Meh.

Magnusian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 07:54:00 pm »

Goldfish of freakin' DOOM, man.
For a name of this megabeast, what about Greater Carp? They could have a water attack that instantly drowns any dwarf that is hit.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 09:48:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>And once again, they're just as deadly as any other non-vermin fish out there. If it's the raws that are wrong, then that's not a bug, it's just.... wrong raws, really. A lot of creatures have 1:6:GORE for an attack.</STRONG>

Would that be every creature new to version 0.27.169.33a?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4