Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Finally got dig deeper to work...  (Read 1201 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
Finally got dig deeper to work...
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

so what Should i expect from it?
I've heard how orcs like to destroy you by the first summer, but i play defensively, so I'm ready for that. anything i should know about that i wouldn't be prepared for?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got dig deeper to work...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:14:27 pm »

I think half the Fun of something like Dig Deeper is that it lets Dwarf Fortress surprise you again once you've gotten used to what vanilla throws your way. You sure you want it to be given away?
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:19:19 pm »

you know, i just started up an embark group, and i realized i have absolutely no idea what any of this stuff does. well, except for the dogs. I thought it would be slightly different, not a whole slew of new stuff.

Yeah, don't spoil anything for me, i want to re-learn how to play DF again.
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:21:10 pm »

Information about dig deeper.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyways, your first few forts' are probably going to be full of Fun, i know mine were.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 02:22:44 pm by Calhoun »
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »

Just think of orcs as aggressive, tough, angry goblins, and you'll be fine.

And as for starting? Just make sure to bring supplies to dig in, cut wood, and have a good amount of food and wood so you can hole up and get settled before the orcs arrive.

PotatoDaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »

I can't stress how important it is to have a stockpile of food!

My first fort in DD I traded for most of the food I had and had no time to move it inside before the Orcs showed up.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:50:14 pm »

Just embarked on an Orc fortress by accident. I see fun times ahead

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 03:09:09 pm »

Just get inside quickly and be prepared to sit out the first siege.  Also, try and request Mithril nuggets or blackmetal from the caravan.  Your going to want as much of that stuff as you can find, especially when Urist goes and uses 3 bars of the stuff on some stupid artifact ring. 

"How did you fit a Full Plate Mail's worth of Mithril on a 10r ring?  Where did it all go?  Does the ring rule other rings?  Does it do anything?"
"I don't know, I was possesed"
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:31:10 pm »

so my habit of buying so much food and booze that i have enough to feed 200 dwarves for 15 years by the second year will finally come in  handy?

awesome

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 08:02:42 pm »

the Halfling caravan and the caravan from Mountain home always arrive close enough for each other to share the depot at the same time. Which, doesn't cause any problem's for actually trading

so installing and applying that drowning trap to the halflings because they interrupted the dwarven caravan... wasn't... necessary?

Either way, I haven't gotten a single proper trade caravan for the entire game. I've dealt with orcs and dark elves and the like with no problems aside from stupid dwarves that got themselves killed, but they've always fucked up my trade so far (a few years in). At least I still get the trade goods though :D.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Cypress

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Snarker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 08:15:35 pm »

so installing and applying that drowning trap to the halflings because they interrupted the dwarven caravan... wasn't... necessary?
Necessary, no. Fun, yes.
The Dwarf Fortress Forums: Where we know all about tragedies. Because they are FUN.
Quote from: kinseti
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:30:46 pm »

Necessary, no. Fun, yes.

Dwarf fortress, where the necessity of a situation is subservient to how fun it is

PhilbertFlange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:13:37 pm »

so what Should i expect from it?

I don't want to give away too much, but I have two pieces of advice.

My first piece of advice is: don't be ashamed to dig in and wall up in case of a siege (at east for the first year or two), instead of fighting them head on. You will lose otherwise.

My second piece of advice is: learn how to make homemade traps (not the vanilla traps). I would try using some of the stuff from this thread. I'm partial to the two methods I suggested on the second page. I like the pit when I need bones, and the processing station when I only need steel.
When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.

When Dwarf Fortress gives you lemons, you mod them to have [DAMBLOCK:80][FLIER][FIREBREATH].

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 11:35:58 pm »

GIANT ANTS.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 01:19:10 am »

I've heard how orcs like to destroy you by the first summer

I've seen them take as long as two years sometimes, but often it will be first summer, yes.

i play defensively, so I'm ready for that.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Thank you. I needed that. :)
Pages: [1] 2