Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DF 2010?  (Read 13525 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
DF 2010?
« on: March 09, 2010, 01:40:49 pm »

Ok, so im sure it has been asked before, I did a search and turned up nothing but... When is DF2010 coming out? The wiki says early 2010, and that pretty much means Q1, but idk... The reason I ask is that I have an idea for a semi-megaproject and I dont want to get halfway through then have DF2010 released. Thanks!
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2010?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »

This year.

Probably.

(We don't know, I'd guess at less than a month)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:50 pm »

Bug fixing is in progress for DF2010, all additional features have been added.  Once sufficient testing and optimization are complete the new version of DF has to be merged with the DF 40d19 stuff.

PotatoDaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:05 pm »

Most likely soon. As far as I know there is no "set" time.

Toady like Valve and Blizzard "It's done when it's done"

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:48:54 pm »

Valve doesn't do a "When it's done" approach, Valve uses Valve Time, where they set the date(real time), and then finish it according to Valve Time, or, on those very special occasions, do reverse valve time, where they set the date, then finish ahead of time.

OT:
Probably around 2 weeks to a month from today. Though, Since the Wiki re-categorization, perhaps sooner?
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:06:36 pm »

Man, im as excited as I was when Fallout 3 came out :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 02:16:34 pm »

Valve doesn't do a "When it's done" approach, Valve uses Valve Time,
Valve's official conversion table
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

PotatoDaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 02:45:24 pm »

Somehow I knew as soon as I hit post that the "valve time table" would be posted...

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:51:43 pm »

If everything goes as planned, very soon.

Unfortunately, everything isn't going as planned, or it would have been released by now.

TheDancinZerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure that toady is working on it as hard as possible, I would imagine he enjoys eating, and I would count on an influx of donations after this release.  I really don't like buggy games, so I enjoy the fact he is taking his time.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:09 pm »

The flat truth is that it's when Toady's squished all the bugs... at least, the ones that are annoying enough for him to squish, instead of leaving on the heap of known bugs. 

Considering the length of time between the last update and now, we're probably going to be living with whatever bugs are left in for a year or so, so it behooves us to ensure he takes his time, as the irritation of anticipation we suffer through now saves us the frustration of crashes to desktop or game-breaking bugs for the next year or so.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 09:45:54 pm »

actually this has been such a long release cycle because of the compatibility break. toady usually has a new release every three to four of months or so, sometimes even faster. he is just trying to make sure that he does not have to have a compat break for a while, so he is getting as many changes in for this release cycle as possible. after this release i expect a new version fairly quickly as he adds random little features and updates.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:51:28 pm »

(Obligatory joke time. Please don't stab/cut/crush me.)

DF 2010 has now been renamed to Dwarf Fortress Forever.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 12:21:46 am »

If you tried to make that a Duke Nukem Forever joke, it really badly backlashed, because it looks a lot more like Fortress Forever now. Which is incidentally a Source mod that is absolutely ruined by the community. Partially because they believe that the definition of 'skills' is exploiting mobility bugs in the Source engine and how any developer intervention to counter it would be a massive tragedy upon mankind on a level similar to the Holocaust or 9/11.

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 06:10:04 am »

I'm guessing it will come out in about 2 months or so.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4