Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designated marksdwarves not shooting?  (Read 592 times)

ThePup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Designated marksdwarves not shooting?
« on: March 09, 2010, 06:10:20 am »

I Just had an Orc siege, with a dozen or so Orcs hanging around out the front of my locked doors exactly where I wanted them.  I had fortifications around the entry hall, and I conscripted a dozen or so marksdwarves, and gave my legendary wrestlers a crossbow each for some practice as well, stationing them just next to the fortifications.  I expected them to happily sit on the inside of the fortifications, taking pot-shots at the mingling orcs outside.  I had plenty of crossbows, hundreds of bolts, but only ONE dwarf actually did anything - he let loose about 25 rounds, then stopped, having taken only one Orc!

Anyone able to shed some light on what I was doing wrong - why the others weren't shooting too?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:20:58 am by ThePup »

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
Re: Designated marksdwarves not shooting?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:11:13 am »

I had a similar problem and it turned out that my dwarves had used up ALL of the bolts practicing at the archery range. Check to see if your dwarves have bolts in their inventories in the first place.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just noticed the "hundreds of bolts" part.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:13:46 am by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:19:18 am »

Legendary wrestlers often have hands full of socks, mittens, and other gear that they're acquired in training.  That might be the case. 

You did say they were right next to the fortification.  That's important; a novice marksdwarf needs to be absolutely flush with the fortification to fire.

I've had this problem too, which I solve by toggling the on duty/off duty status and by activating/deactivating the dwarf.  It's not perfect, and I still have no idea what's going on, but it get's the orcs dead so...
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:17:05 am »

Make sure the squad isn't set to chase opponents - you want them shooting from where they're standing, not trying to run out and pistol-whip their targets.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

H. Monkey

• Bay Watcher
  • More gorilla than monkey, actually
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:57:04 pm »

Don't marksdwarves care about what the bolts are made of? As in: I'm fairly sure they will only use wood and bone bolts for practice. Maybe for enemies they're willing to wait for metal bolts and that was the issue?

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 02:03:47 pm »

Don't marksdwarves care about what the bolts are made of? As in: I'm fairly sure they will only use wood and bone bolts for practice. Maybe for enemies they're willing to wait for metal bolts and that was the issue?

Nope, my dudes once ran out of bolts and happily unloaded the emergancy bone bolts
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.