Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Big old soviet plane pictures from boingboing  (Read 5214 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Big old soviet plane pictures from boingboing
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2010, 05:15:51 pm »

Are we seriously having a Soviet Russia vs Modern America battle?

Finland beat Soviet Russia, and they were outnumbered like 10 to 1.
Shoes...

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2010, 05:18:27 pm »

Too bad the flying artillery base CRASHES every damn time it flies.

Hey wait is that a battleship turret?

Anyway, the Soviets still make kickass stuff.

Also this wikipedia article is being a bit interesting.
Developing Weapons

According to the Pentagon, China is currently developing kinetic-energy weapons, high-powered lasers, high-powered microwave weapons, particle-beam weapons, and electromagnetic pulse weapons with its increase of military fundings.[25]
New rival to Soviets and Americans.

And wasn't finland just trying to hold out as long as they can while the germans were busy being an annoying bee sting?

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2010, 05:20:24 pm »

Finland, awesome country. Shows what knowing, apart from thy enemy, yourself and your country effects war.

Oh yeah, China.
I guess they have lots of neat stuff but aren't so braggy about it.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2010, 05:22:32 pm »

Well considering it's China...

And isn't part of the reason Finland, even if a small percentage, survived because of Simo Hayha?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2010, 05:25:21 pm »

Igla. Cheap, cheerful, man-portable. Can take down an AC-130. And in case you didn't notice, the Lun has gun turrets too.

As to why it's sitting in an industrial park - USSR collapsing and government changes have closed down many projects. We could've had our own supersonic VTOL fighter about twenty years ago, if funding didn't cease.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:45 pm »

We could've had our own supersonic VTOL fighter about twenty years ago, if funding didn't cease.

We could've had a bunch too if you guys had one.  Ya slackers.

About the ekranoplane.  Yeah, it's a flying gunboat/transport, cool.  1) How maneuverable is it?  2) What's it's stall speed for the ground lift effect?  3) Can it take off from ground instead of water?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2010, 06:14:44 pm »

1) Slightly less manueverable than a comparably-sized plane, due to roll limitations at such low altitude. If it's Type A, that is. If it's Type B, it can make an "emergency brake turn" by jumping and turning, though it'll basically have to take off again after it.
2) No idea. The ground effect just generates lift as the altitude decreases. GEVs are vertically stable, losing speed will make them lose some altitude and gain some more lift, rapidly reducing their kinetic energy until they stop.
3) Yes if it's smooth enough, in which case it's easier than from water. The massive engine block at the head of the Lun and the Caspian Monster is so that the wings get enough air under them to start up the ground effect. On land, there's already enough air under the wings, so you only need to get up to speed. The Lun and the Caspian Monster are sea-only though, having no undercarriage. Hence why the Lun's in a drydock in those pictures.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 06:16:59 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2010, 07:22:13 pm »

If you look at every other technology China has developed to the point of being leaders in the field (I.E. nones), I doubt you having anything to fear from Chinese experimental technologies. Especially since they are and having been trying to steal our technology for years through hacking and spying. Lazy Communist Bastards.

Oh and Sean, If the Igla is such a godly weapon, then why didn't Iraq win either of the attacks against it (One to repel it -> Desert Storm, One to invade it -> Iraq War) were air was the key decisive victory. Iraq had tons of Iglas. Tons and Tons of Iglas. Tons and Tons and Tons of Iglas. And enough men to carry each one. Yet they lost to air superiority.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2010, 09:32:21 pm »

son Finland, even if a small percentage, survived because of Simo Hayha?
126 875 Soviets died in the winter war.

Simo Hayha killed around .63% of those. This means that one in every 133 Soviets died because of a nasty case of White Death.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2010, 09:45:03 pm »

What strikes me is that all this incredible flying -things- were made many decades ago, from the 1930's to the 1980's, and by the USSR, which had a less than stellar production quality record. And yet many of them were at least semi-useful.

Which leads me to think: With modern alloys, electronics, joining techniques, robotic assembly, top-notch oversight and unlimited funding, it should be possible to not only duplicate these results, but improve on them by a large factor.

So where's my flying battleship?

Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2010, 10:22:14 pm »

I'm just waiting til every country builds their own Voltron and has gladiator fights with them for the summer Olympics.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2010, 10:32:48 pm »

What strikes me is that all this incredible flying -things- were made many decades ago, from the 1930's to the 1980's, and by the USSR, which had a less than stellar production quality record. And yet many of them were at least semi-useful.

Which leads me to think: With modern alloys, electronics, joining techniques, robotic assembly, top-notch oversight and unlimited funding, it should be possible to not only duplicate these results, but improve on them by a large factor.

So where's my flying battleship?

Unless you can mount a nuclear core inside of it, the US ain't gonna make it.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2010, 10:37:49 pm »

What I want is America to make a ridiculously large land vehicle.
Or a Metal Gear.

I'm pretty sure a Shagohod would be possible..

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2010, 10:44:50 pm »

I wanna buy that thing.
:D

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2010, 11:14:25 pm »

Holy shit. Crazy awesome.

I guess Russia's finally found a way to fight America. By being far more awesome than it.

Yes, Because it's not we don't have 12 aircraft carriers...[stuff]

I'd just like to point out that Jack isn't saying that the GEV was awesome in the post, and thus Russia was fighting America with being awesome [using the GEV]. He was responding to my STALKER LARP links, something your aircraft carriers can never never never beat.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6