Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Big old soviet plane pictures from boingboing  (Read 5230 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Big old soviet plane pictures from boingboing
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:34 pm »

I would run around yelling "I'M A BLOODSUCKER-OVICH" (The -ovich because they speak Russian and I need them to know what I'm saying), tackling people, and punching them
Shoes...

larson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2010, 08:07:34 pm »

It appears to be a bomber that can land on water, and I think those tubes at the top are torpedo launchers.
What the fuck are the torpedoes going to do? Arc over the front section of the plane before submerging? What if the plane happens to be accelerating? Bounce off the hull and get pulled back by the intake engine? Lol.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 08:16:34 pm »

Am I the only one who wishes they had the cash to buy and restore it, and then have it as my home?
I want to live in it, but not restore it.

So it can be my secret fort!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:36 pm »

Let us not forget the Kalinin K-7, a bomber that appears to have cannons on its back.

Because the Russians are sick of the Japanese getting better than us at what we are good at.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 02:47:03 am »

Am I the only one who wishes they had the cash to buy and restore it, and then have it as my home?
I want to live in it, but not restore it.

So it can be my secret fort!
But if you don't restore it, it'll never move!

@Larson: I don't know, I can't read Cyrillic. it good just drop them behind it as it goes along.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 03:27:30 am »

They're not torpedo tubes, they're anti-surface missiles. (really, you can't call them either surface-to-surface or air-to-surface since the thing's neither swimming nor flying!)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 08:13:16 am »

it seems to be a Lun class ekranoplan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lun-class_ekranoplan
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 10:55:16 am »

That's the only one in the world too.  Crazy.
Shoes...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 10:57:31 am »

Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooolio.

I want one.  ;D
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 11:44:37 am »

I think just about every "old soviet" Ekranoplan is now out of service. The Caspian Sea Monster and the Lun are both one-of-a-kind (the Lun has a lifting capacity of 1000 tons! You could just load it up with TNT and it'd make an equivalent of the Hiroshima explosion!) and drydocked somewhere, the A-90 Orlyonok series had only 3 units that survived testing, 1 was scrapped, and the others have been put out of service after a decade or so and set on display someplace. The only GEVs now operating are the small fry made for ferrying stuff short distances.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »

Russia exists to make crazy huge shit. Almost every military machine of absurd size is Russian.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 01:50:04 pm »

That is awesome. If I ever have a few billion dollars I'll order one.

Also the history channel has an episode about ekranoplans youtube link. Its a fucking flying boat.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:52:52 pm by ILikePie »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 02:55:51 pm »

Almost every machine of huge size is/was Soviet, actually. Largest cargo plane, largest helicopter, largest ekranoplan, largest turboprop bomber, largest (and the only even partially operating) nuclear-powered bomber, largest submarine, largest thermonuclear bomb, they're all Soviet developments. Only the largest tanks were German.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 03:17:26 pm »

Russian machinery is awesome. Nuclear powered bomber? I need to wiki that.
germany was quite good too at building things, at the time of world war 2, but later they became more ordinary.

probably all the huge machinery is only an ego boost, but if we have to waste money, better to do that on crazy and awesome projects than in endless bureaucracy/ corruption/ similar. I mean... money would be eaten anyway. At least lets make something that looks cool.
That is why I support Dubai.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 03:33:08 pm »

Tupolev Tu-119. It was only partially operating, in that it remained a test model, but it could fly under nuclear power. The chief concern was radiation shielding, because it weighed down the plane, but eventually the program was ended for a different reason.

And yeah, better to spend money on something that you can at least put forward and be proud of, even if doesn't work anymore. That Lun thing could still conceivably be put to use - it's not carrying ICBM's, but it's still a short-range missile platform that can't be stopped by minefields or torpedoes, can't be reliably detected by sonar, flies under most radar coverage, posesses the speed and agility of an aircraft, and can launch a barrage of ship-buster missiles before you so much as spot it. Basically, a missile cruiser that can pop up where you least expect it and be gone before you scramble your fighters.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6