Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Stonehall Alliance - Experimental DF2010 cosmopolitan civs mod  (Read 17163 times)

TOMzors

• Bay Watcher
  • Edirzuden
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehall Alliance - Hypothetical DF2010 cosmopolitan civs mod
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 05:46:06 pm »

This sounds extremely well thought out  ;D

i enjoyed the read, you really have put a lot of thought into each civilization... it sounds wonderful  8) good luck with implementing it when the time comes  :)
(sometimes, the child's cries for help can still be heard on the empty tunnels of this fallen fortress)

If only it showed Dwarf Fortress... oh yeah! it does

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 05:28:58 am »

I'd like to know what people think on the issue of sphinxes (and their interbreeding with humans), though.  I could also throw in an Anubis-styled kind of jackal-men to go with them, in spite of my stated misgivings of just making everyone have dog-people.  That way, I could go with something of an Egyptian-themed thing, though.

Alternately, I could just do something like one of these:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, on fae, should I go digging for some kind of Sidhe for an elf, or just make something up?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 01:02:29 pm »

Just so you know, you can't really put the curiousbeast tags on a creature if you want to trade with its castemates, because if just one of them shows up with the traders, the entire caravan will count as stolen. If you want sneaky thieves amongst a race, you'll have to give them the tag in the entity entry. And then you'll be at war with them unless your race has the item theivery tag.

The big guys like Oni and Cyclopes can't be given specific weapons, but you can give the entity weapons that only they are big enough to wield, and I guess some of them will show up with clubs and so on. The little guys won't be able to carry them at least.

Shudder. THe more they try to be human, the more horrible they are...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 02:04:58 pm »

Just so you know, you can't really put the curiousbeast tags on a creature if you want to trade with its castemates, because if just one of them shows up with the traders, the entire caravan will count as stolen. If you want sneaky thieves amongst a race, you'll have to give them the tag in the entity entry. And then you'll be at war with them unless your race has the item theivery tag.

Yeah, I'm going to have to root around and try to find workarounds on that.  I may ultimately just put in two virtually identical civs, but have one be a thief civ, and another a black market trader civ.  Alternately, I'll just give them an ethics that ensures they get into fights fairly often, and they steal during those fights, but anyone they aren't currently fighting will get to trade, and the black market will have virtually everything available for trade as they are theoretically "fencing" stuff that fell off the back of the wagon.  (Even if I doubt they can actually do that.)

The big guys like Oni and Cyclopes can't be given specific weapons, but you can give the entity weapons that only they are big enough to wield, and I guess some of them will show up with clubs and so on. The little guys won't be able to carry them at least.

Pretty much what I was planning on doing.  I'd hope that there could be a way that you could disallow size 10 creatures from being just as likely to pick up a size 2 "thorn dagger" as a size 10 "iron club", but as it stands, I might just make only bows for the normal-sizers, special attacks for the smalls, and special giant-sized weapons for the huge ones (like, say, giant axes), and just let oni occasionally use a weapon that doesn't really take full advantage of their massive size.

Shudder. THe more they try to be human, the more horrible they are...

Should I take that as a "no" vote, then?

I actually rather like the images of monsterous humans being portrayed as, well, having personalities not entirely unlike a rational sentient being.  The overwhelming majority of monsterous females are, for "some reason"  ::) , portrayed as generally lounging around topless all day.  I like the ones where they would rather share a pint at the bar with others a little more.  That is, basically, the entire impetus for this mod.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 07:06:36 pm »

Actually, I think that great axes, halberds, and two-handed swords have a minimum size of 7 in the current version, but goblins, who are size 6 and have them included in the entity, still occasionally come with them equipped. However, this issue may not be in the next version, what with rewrites to the military and glitches regarding 2-handed requirements.

This frightens me to no end.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »

If I may be so bold as to ask, why? I admit its odd looking, and I'm not quite sure what it even is, but what's so terrifying about this?  ???
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:22 pm »

Actually, I think that great axes, halberds, and two-handed swords have a minimum size of 7 in the current version, but goblins, who are size 6 and have them included in the entity, still occasionally come with them equipped. However, this issue may not be in the next version, what with rewrites to the military and glitches regarding 2-handed requirements.
Couldn't say either way. I've never heard of it happening, nor seen it.

I know right? I think it's because it looks fairly normal untill you scroll down and see its horrible little paws.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 09:17:46 pm »

I also think I would play a mod like this if it was made. Purdy sweet stuff.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 11:00:04 pm »

I know right? I think it's because it looks fairly normal untill you scroll down and see its horrible little paws.

Really?  I think of it as something like a cute little puppy-person (I can almost see the tail wagging). 

I think there were also some images that went with it that had penguin-people.

Anyway, I don't really see how they're more disturbing than a normal centaur or a mermaid or whatever.  (Except, you know, wearing real clothes.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 02:16:20 pm »

Well, since I'm not getting much feedback on the sphinx, how about something else I've been thinking about:

If I'm going to put elves back in, what about a world with no humans? 

The more I think on this, the more I'd rather have it be a world completely of mythical creatures with non-human viewpoints, many of which are insane (in different ways), and all of which are some shade of grey.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 02:21:45 pm »

I like it. Ditch the dumb humies!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »

The usual problem with taking humans out of the picture is that it becomes more difficult for people to relate to the remaining creatures. That's not to say it's impossible - far from it, just that you're going to have to be careful to make the creatures possible to empathize with. Sometimes that means sacrificing a bit of accuracy/realism.

Or maybe I'm massively over-thinking this - they are letters after all.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 02:45:32 pm »

Well, humanizing some of the monsters is pretty much part of the point of this.  I have, after all, stated I simply love the idea of giant friendly spider people.

Thing is, humans give us a reference point, something that we are all supposed to identify with, and... well, I'd rather we not assume any one thing is right until we have really stopped to consider it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 05:15:02 pm »

That took an age to all read.

Well I'mma gonna have a think, maybe rifle through my art book if you don't mind 'custom' fantasy races.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 09:35:21 pm »

Actually, I'm wondering if I should try working off the rust on my drawing hand, and making some "family portraits" of a stonehall family. 

edit: And if you want more to read, I just rote mor wurdz.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:52:36 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8