Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Stonehall Alliance - Experimental DF2010 cosmopolitan civs mod  (Read 17149 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Stonehall Alliance - Experimental DF2010 cosmopolitan civs mod
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:37 am »

You sure you didn't typo those backwards?  ;)

You're absolutely right, I fixed that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »

On that note, the upper body is the same as a normal biped? I can understand pants, but the others don't work?
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:01 pm »

As it is explained to me, DF's brain explodes if someone doesn't have feet or something else particular in their stance.

Oddly, because they have a lower body, it seems they were able to put on greaves...

Anyway, I was hoping to make a sort of "tail barding" clothing and chain armor... or maybe I'll just make the scales pretty decently hard, and leave them exposed?

I think I'm also going to segment the tail into an upper and lower tail; That way, when I make the tail the primary unarmed attack method, there will be a portion of the tail that will not be in the attack, which has to remain grounded.

I don't think I'll be putting poison on lamias, so biting isn't any more useful for them than it is for a dwarf.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2010, 08:42:53 am »

Have the 'normal' Elf Calves grown up into standard elves, or do they remain elf cows/bulls?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2010, 10:21:05 am »

Have the 'normal' Elf Calves grown up into standard elves, or do they remain elf cows/bulls?

No... They apparently take the full normal 12 years, and I don't feel like waiting that long.

I GUESS I can go in and change the raws to 1 year, and wait for the next 9-month-old to hit "maturity", though.

I don't know what that will do to the already 13-months-old child, though.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2010, 11:06:01 am »

No... They apparently take the full normal 12 years, and I don't feel like waiting that long.

I GUESS I can go in and change the raws to 1 year, and wait for the next 9-month-old to hit "maturity", though.

I don't know what that will do to the already 13-months-old child, though.

You could change the raws to 1 year and then just create a new world/fort to test the changes in and see if it works.

This modding reminds me somewhat of my own attempt to create a civilization with Intelligent pets & the experiments that resulted in me having Domestic dwarves that I could purchase on Embark and then assign labors to. I even trained a few of them as War Dwarves, though doing so made it so that they could never perform tasks like normal dwarves again.

On another note, if I'm not mistaken your Stonehall mods plan to have Lamia, Dwarves, etc. all in the same civilization means that you'll have Lamia marrying and giving birth to Dwarves, Lamia, etc. since they are all technically members of the same species, right?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2010, 04:23:34 pm »

You could change the raws to 1 year and then just create a new world/fort to test the changes in and see if it works.

This modding reminds me somewhat of my own attempt to create a civilization with Intelligent pets & the experiments that resulted in me having Domestic dwarves that I could purchase on Embark and then assign labors to. I even trained a few of them as War Dwarves, though doing so made it so that they could never perform tasks like normal dwarves again.

On another note, if I'm not mistaken your Stonehall mods plan to have Lamia, Dwarves, etc. all in the same civilization means that you'll have Lamia marrying and giving birth to Dwarves, Lamia, etc. since they are all technically members of the same species, right?

Yes, I'm using castes, and that means they're all going to be interbreedable, even to the point of having a minotaur and a dwarf marry and have a lamia as a child.

There's a perfectly good explanation for this, however... A wizard did it.

Anyway, I can't assign labors to the unintelligent dwarves, but if they arrived (as migrants or the like) with skills supposed to be on them (no CAN_LEARN, so they don't actually have them), then they have labors enabled on them.  When turned into a "War Peasant", my miner still continued to mine, which was slightly annoying, because he had a bad habit of destroying ores and gems because he didn't gain skill ranks.

Meanwhile, messing with the raws gave me an adult elf (yay).  He is commandable like a dwarf, but cannot be assigned a room or assigned to the military.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2010, 04:31:12 pm »

Question to those of you who were interested in this:

I'm messing around with "pants" right now...

Now, there isn't any apparent way to mess with who wears what right now on a caste-level, as this is an entity-level tag.

"Pants" are objects that occupy the Lower Body of a creature, although it may still cover the legs.  This means that right now, we have lamia who wear Greaves and pants (when they start wearing anything at all) instead of just being restricted to skirts.

This raises even more problems when we have spider-people wearing pants... which presumably are cut to fit a cephalothorax and eight legs to order at the clothier's.

So, I'm thinking that instead of greaves, the Hallites will be wearing "armored skirts" ("Fullplate Tasset") that can fit various configurations of legs or tails.

Thoughts? 

(Oh, and I'm not terribly enamored with the term "Hallite" for my combined civ, so if anyone has suggestions...)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:40:41 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2010, 05:00:26 pm »

Sounds like a fair trade, and what about something based off Stone Hall, rather then just hall?
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2010, 05:11:32 pm »

I like this mod it seems awesome 8). As for a name how about the Stone alliance or children of stone. How about praetorians instead of patricians. The cacamundos should have fur and be cat-like just because.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:21:12 pm by gamefreak1 »
Is my avatar sexy?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2010, 07:27:06 pm »

mmm... I'll avoid making catgirls, just because that's a bit of a loaded concept.

Praetorians were the elite guard of the Emperor, who at times murdered Emperors to put in place the Emperors of their own choosing... "Patrician" simply means "Patriarch", and referred to the original/politically dominant families of Rome.  I think Patrician fulfills my meaning better, as it is a social caste (as well as a sexual dimporphic one.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 07:31:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, I'm going to start working on how much I can mess with making a lamia for now.

I want to make a smaller "lower body", and then make an "upper tail" and "lower tail" set of parts, which have much larger proportions relative to the rest of the body than is mentioned in the Snakeman-style body type...

This means I'm building a custom body type.

The problem is that I don't think Toady allows for organs to be divided among any parts besides those with UPPERBODY and LOWERBODY tags...

It's also unfortunate, but thanks to a lack of any real way to deal with non-humanoid body types, it seems you can wear shoes on a tail... I can't really do much about it until Toady gives it some attention.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 01:24:53 am »

HOORAY! I'm releasing something!

Ugh, anyway, I became a little discouraged, and basically went off and did other games, and interest in this thread seems to have been eclipsed by interest in other mods... But since it had been almost a week since I'd said anything, I decided I should make an effort to release something resembling a product on the seventeenth.

... OK, so maybe I wound up releasing it on the 19th, but it's the thought that counts, right?... Yes it is!... SHUT UP!

This is a sort of initial foray into the wide world of what I want to make with this mod...  It's sort of expanding ever-outwards, so bear with me, here.

I'm releasing this whole thing as a full raw folder (plus a tileset) because I'm tweaking so much I am starting to forget what's important for one mod or another.  (I've done things like mess with how plants are represented, since they annoyed me.) I'm trying to keep most of my racial stuff into a seperate set of raws, however, just to make a "lite" edition of this mod, that can be merged with other mods more easily, but I'm not finished adding features by far.  I want to roll this up with my subterranean livestock mod, my lacquerware and ceramics mod (lacquer will be particular to the Seelie, as it stands,), some other workshop/technology/farming/creatures mods, which will eventually create something a little like Dig Deeper, where a huge number of things in the game wind up being changed.

As it stands, I wound up making something of "dummy" entries for much of the races.  They're pretty much the races in the easiest form I could mash them down into using the templates and re-appropriating existing creatures.  I'm working on figuring out what I can do with the body raws (so I can do things like giving lamia multiple stomachs, like in that sketch before), and I'm going to make much more changes to the cultures with what I can mod in the entity raws, and eventually get around to descriptions.  I also want to make a Graphics pack for this whole thing, as well.

Anyway, I have something that manages to be a skeleton of what I want to build, so I want to release it, and get some kind of feedback.

Oh, and if you use the tileset, tell me how you guys like it.  I wound up running myself astray for about a day tweaking the tiles in the raws.  (It's a real Frankensteining, but at least a dozen of the tiles were my own work.)

... I'm also considering making some little "Meet the Aranea" comics to help introduce some of these races.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2010, 02:59:37 pm »

Just to clarify, the different caste races will appear in-game, correct?

Edit: after installation, there does not appear to be a tileset, or graphics at all for that matter
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:16:06 pm by warhammer651 »
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 03:25:16 pm »

Just to clarify, the different caste races will appear in-game, correct?

Edit: after installation, there does not appear to be a tileset, or graphics at all for that matter

For the first: All the castes should appear the way that dwarves regularly would.  Your starting seven should be a smattering of different races.

For the second: This isn't really an "installation" for the tileset, you have to modify your init.txt file manually to change the tileset it uses to "NW_font.bmp".

I didn't want to ask people to copy over their own init.txt since I hate having to do that, myself.  I guess I assumed people would know how to do things like this, but I can always just start making a readme file or something for this.

Anyway, go into your init.txt file, and change the 17th through 21st lines to something like this, depending on your computer's resolution:

Code: [Select]
This is the size and font for windowed mode.  Changing to 800x600 and the 800x600 font might make you happier.

[WINDOWEDX:1280]
[WINDOWEDY:840]
[FONT:NW_Font.bmp]

This isn't a graphics mod, it's just a tileset... not yet, anyway.  I'll probably wind up pushing myself towards making a full set of tiles for every caste/gender (so that female dwarves aren't bearded).
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8