Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Depressurizing water  (Read 4845 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Depressurizing water
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:03 pm »

Alright, so as a part of my new fortress Firediamonds, I want the main halls that run through the city to include aqueducts -

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now, the palace is deep, deep, underground, and the water supply (a 4-tile river) is on ground level.  Obviously just connecting the river to my aqueducts (and attendant reservoir) will flood the fortress.  So, I plan on using pumps to depressurize the water.  Pumps, however, are not intended for pumping water downward.  So, here's the issue:

1) Pumps do prevent water from flowing back into the pump room, but don't prevent water from flooding the chamber from it's source (if it's pressurized)
2) A large pump waterfall setup would require ridiculous numbers of pressure plates, axles, or micromanagement
3) I've never really used gears, axles, and automated systems before.

My current reservoir setup is essentially 10x40x6, with 7 tiles per level dedicated to supports, etc, for a total of ~2350 units of water. There are a few spots on the z-level beneath that (the highest floor that should be filled with water) I'm reserving for pressure plates that turn off the flow of water when it reaches 5/7.  There are - roughly - 80 water-containing tiles between the floodgate and the reservoir proper; assuming the reservoir fills (more or less) evenly, it'll end up alternating between 6/7 and 7/7 throughout, probably a bit less.

That's a lot of pressure for the bottom level pump.  Since it's impossible to prevent his much water from flowing up through the necessary hole for the pump to have access to it, the only option available is mechanisms and power.  My current idea for the design is as follows:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P is the pump, G is a gear, periods are flooring, | is a horizontal axle, the underscores are empty spaces (reservoir on the right).  My questions are:
1) Will the axle transfer power through the wall tot he pumps?
2) Will replacing the axle with a dummy pump that isn't pumping anything transfer power?

Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Depressurizing water
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:35 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:40:32 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:25:47 pm »

I second the diagonal suggestion...  It is so much simpler than what you are trying to do with the pumps.  Although your method is definitely dwarfier.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »

I want to be able to control fluid flow into the aqueducts in case I need to clean them out.  There's going to be a second set of pumps that sends water back into the reservoir (which I don't need to worry about, since this much is easy), and possible a tomb or treasure vault hidden inside the aqueducts.  I want to make this as interesting for adventurers as possible.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:02:39 am »

Hmmm, you're right! one wrong move from an adventurer and the the wells within the fortress will flood.
 I always get my adventurer legendary swimming before anything else. That way, he is strong enough for anything tat comes his way. I've never used cheats to do it either :)
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 03:20:55 am »

What if you use a vertical axle? Will it leak?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 03:28:42 am »

What if you use a vertical axle? Will it leak?

And even if it does does it matter, just make the vertical axle go high :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Wardo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 04:14:42 am »

Here's an example of a vertical axle from the wiki, looking from the side:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/File:Screwpump-desalination.png

I'd also recommend adding a controllable barrier between the main reservoir and the pumps in case you ever need maintenance access to the pumps, like doors, floodgates or hatches covering a channel connected to a lever.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:18:10 am by Wardo »

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 11:21:23 am »

I want to be able to control fluid flow into the aqueducts in case I need to clean them out.

Then install some floodgates or raising bridges before the depressurization diagonals...  I really think you are over-thinking this.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 11:57:51 am »

You can also design a drainage system off the edge of the map through fortifications if you need to drain your sewers.

To prevent tower caps from growing in them construct paved roads. It will prevent all plants from growing.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 06:57:33 pm »

The reason I want to use pumps versus floodgates / diagonals is because of the specific behavior pumps have in regards to pressure: they will never force water up a Z-level, which is exactly what I want.  With any other setup I need to worry about water overflowing the aqueducts.

Also, there is no underground river or pool (according to embark) so tower caps aren't going to be an issue.  I think.

Does nobody else know if horizontal axles transfer power through natural/constructed walls either?  It's one simple question I want to ask before genning a new world just for the sake of finding out.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 08:38:50 pm »

The reason I want to use pumps versus floodgates / diagonals is because of the specific behavior pumps have in regards to pressure: they will never force water up a Z-level, which is exactly what I want.  With any other setup I need to worry about water overflowing the aqueducts.

No, that is what we are trying to say... With a diagonal connection it is impossible for the water to rise above the level on which it is moving through...  for all intents and purposes it works exactly the same way as a pump does when resetting pressure.  Every place you have a drop in Z levels, put the water through some diagonals and it will reset the pressure thus constraining the water to the level on which is passed through the diagonal.

And no, axles do not transfer power through walls...  They need to be directly connected to something to transfer power.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 08:47:17 pm »

Using diagonal baffles works fine, but the water will flow slowly once it's 'depressurized.' So despite needless complexity, pumps are and will always be faster and more useful once the player's bothered to set them up.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 08:58:37 pm »

Using diagonal baffles works fine, but the water will flow slowly once it's 'depressurized.' So despite needless complexity, pumps are and will always be faster and more useful once the player's bothered to set them up.

Now here is a valid reason to use pumps!  :D

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 03:34:18 am »

Personally I'd have a carefully setup pressure plate where the most likely place for a flood to start is and use that to block the flow of water but otherwise abuse the pressure to keep the flow fast. This way is easy to do and has the potential for Fun when you screw it up later on :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd