Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Recording your History  (Read 2277 times)

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recording your History
« on: March 08, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »

How do you go about recording the history of your Fortress?
I usually just keep a .txt file open and alt+tab to the desktop and write notes about current events or some particular event that just happened and the result is that I spend as much time writing about my forts as actually playing them.
Do you keep a record/log of your dwarves, their works and tribulations?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: Recording your History
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »

I tend to just let Legends mode pick it up.  Sure, I get about a thousand listings of masterpiece engravings on the list (most of which are of masterpiece engravings being made by the same artist who made the first engraving), but it does a pretty reliable job of listing all of the major events and disasters any given fort experiences.
Sanity is for the weak.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 12:44:42 pm »

Yup. I record stuff in a .txt, changing the way I write and the manners I have depending on which dwarf is in charge.

I wanted to turn one of my forts into a novel blog complete with my own illustrations. However once I got stonesense I saw that it was an eyesore, and it's much more special if I do it with my first fortress in DF 2010. That's why I'm holding out and not building any serious forts now.

I want to get into the roleplay and really commit to the project!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:47 am »

I do this with statues, strategically placed graves, and tons of notes and engravings.

There is a hall under the mountain where statues of former rulers of the fortress stand watch in the deep.

A note over each statue tells the name of the creature, his or her position and order of rulership, and his or her life span (these modded creatures only lived for 10 years, to increase the generational feel of the fort).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:38:40 am »

I used to keep a journal for my fortresses, tracking the events of a season at every season-change.  Eventually I got tired of "we traded with the Elves for this stuff.  The megaproject proceeds smoothly.  We have lots of new bedrooms to build.  Somebody had a baby.  Somebody's baby grew into a child.  We discovered some microcline - again."  So then I decided to slow down and only type up entries for interesting things that happened.

... Then I got several ambushes in a row.  And had to write about all of them, and who got injured and how.

Eventually, despite my love of roleplay, I wanted to just play the game instead of stopping every few minutes to write out some text.

That, or I just kept getting bored with my fortresses, and trying to keep track of who needed how many clothes and the like. 

Actually, I haven't played at all in a while.  Maybe it's time for that to change...
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

kawaiidesunekochan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 11:22:57 am »

Every dwarven year,I engrave a new wall in my archive room. Other than that,I don't really record my history...nothing special happens most of the time.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:55:36 am »

archive room.

=O

That.  Is.  AWESOME!  Why did I never think of such a great room!?  You have added a new permanent feature to my fortresses, and I thank you for it.

Alas, that these engravings probably won't contain events from the year they are engraved, but that's not the point!
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:25:15 am »

I have engravings everywhere. I often make vast rooms just for engraving patterns everywhere.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:38 am »

I have a library. Since DF does not seem to have any written language, just pictorial, each year gets a single floor in the library, and is set up like following:

Code: [Select]
++++++++
++++++++
++O++O++
++++++++
++++++++
++O++O++
++++++++
++++++++

This is a huge room with columns evenly spaced with two floor tiles between each other in every direction. Everything is smoothed, then the columns are engraved. Sadly my computer had to be wiped and I've not played DF again after that. Really aught to get into it when the new version comes.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:58:35 pm »

... I've been meaning to keep a journal of my fortress, actually, but havent' really gotten around to it.

I have a handful of dwarves I really like, and would make the narrators of a sort of sitcommish narrative that involves cave-ins and seiges and executing prisoners by bridgapulting them to the 'gators and crocs.

As it stands, however, I spend more time typing on the forums than actually playing the game...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 04:16:56 pm »

I have an archive room also,
Each new year i build a new chest, made of gold, and in these chests i keep artifacts or sample gems or other items i discovered or made.
I have 12 chests so far and there all valued verry much.
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:11:11 pm »

I've made multi-story library complexes, consisting of a huge square room with rows and rows of geometric 'bookshelves', with little desk and table setups for studying them.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:56 pm »

another titan!!??one!11eleven!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:06 am »

Besides engravings, I use coins to record history.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:32:08 am »

I have an archive room also,
Each new year i build a new chest, made of gold, and in these chests i keep artifacts or sample gems or other items i discovered or made.
I have 12 chests so far and there all valued verry much.

how do you designate items to be stored in a chest?

after viewing Retro's magnificent fort (the one with a lake, beach, dining pod... the name escapes me atm) I decided that an archive was just the thing for me.  I basically ripped it off from him; dig a circular room roughly equal to 80 square urists and engrave 4 of those a year (it ends up being more than one engraving per day of the year, so it's almost like a day-to-day public history)

It also serves as a very good place to stash coffins in if I'm willing to sacrifice one or two engravings, just dig out a spot for a coffin and a statue or something nice and wall it back up.  Came up with that after a baby literally flew out of Fikod's arms and straight to the bottom of the quarry during the goblin raid of 95.  Would have been hilarious if it wasn't tragic, but Fikod took it remarkably well, so it might as well be hilarious.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 01:36:03 am by Odd!x »
We are who we are, depending on who we were.
Pages: [1] 2