Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: BYOR: Choices Day 4 (*insert obligitary question about my identity here*)  (Read 29383 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR: Choices (Game setting up)
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2010, 04:10:50 pm »

... Well, there goes what I had in mind for my role.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2010, 04:11:58 pm »

Yeah, now I'm kind of worried that mine won't have anything whatsoever to do with the name =/

There's a reason why I picked something weird.  Hopefully it'll be at least a little bit related.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2010, 04:16:20 pm »

Damn you, Damn you, logic. My role was going to be awesome.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2010, 04:16:28 pm »

We're screwed. We're all screwed.

I'll get to work on the FTW machine...

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2010, 04:21:13 pm »

I am the MOD. No posting in any colors other than red.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2010, 04:23:55 pm »

Leafsnail is the mod, desu.

Now everyone talks like this, desu.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 05:13:08 pm »

Let me ease your mind, I only used the 'logic' one when I COULDN'T fit the feature with your role.  The bulk of your powers fit VERY nicely with your names. 

And yes, I did research as well beyond what you've sent me.  I STILL may have missed but even then I hope you don't mind.

Now worry more about the OTHER rules in there :P
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2010, 05:35:03 pm »

I bet mine will be fun.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2010, 09:17:02 pm »

Let me go ahead and write the DF part of it.

First off, DF runs in seasons.  Each season lasts 24 hours.  However, only 2 seasons can occur per Game day.  Each season, the players can decide what they will do, like "Farm with seeds" and "craft an Iron Sword".  Once the season passes, the actions are performed and the game moves forward. 

Item quality doesn't exist and all items are put into regular 'units'.  A 'bag of seeds'.  A 'bar of iron'.  A 'bin of crafts'.  There's no 'take one item' mess here.  In general, one item makes one item. 

Skill levels DO exist in simplified form.  There's 4 skill levels: unskilled, Skilled, Expert, and Legendary.  Each person starts off skilled in one job and unskilled in the others.  Each time you perform a job that uses a skill, you go up a level.  Even if you are unskilled, you'll go up a level. 

As far as the products themselves, they exist but are also simplified as far as quality goes: silver works just as well as steel here.  What follows is a brief rundown of how the chain of products go for those who don't know DF.  Those that do know and go "wait, what about 'X' product".. it's there and yes you can use it. 

Food and drink.

Food and drink fall under a generic '1 day of ...".  Each day all of you consume 1 day's worth of food and 1 day's worth of alcohol and NO that does not change as you guys die (that doesn't make sense?  Well, Damn you, logic! ;)  ).  The eating is automatic at the end of the day so no need to worry about it.  As for what happens if you don't eat/drink, you won't die, but you can't do any other dwarf-based actions most of the time (50% fail for not doing one thing, 100% if both).  It still means you can do all of your other stuff but, you can't exactly use portal guns against elephants.

The food cycle works like this:  'bags of seed' is used by a FARMER to make a 'barrel of plants' (the farmer plants and harvests at the same time).  This is then used by either a COOK to make a 'day of food' or a BREWER to make  a 'day of alcohol'.

How to get the seed?  Two ways, an HERBALIST can get a chance of finding seeds or they can be purchased.

For those that want to go another path, you can also get food by first hunting for an animal with a HUNTER.  The animal goes to a BUTCHER for a 'barrel of meat' which goes to the COOK. 

metalwork

Those who are used to DF know

MINERS gather STONE and metal ORE.  They will be named (granite, basalt) though 'stone' goes for nonmetals, 'ore' for metals.  ORE is used by a FURNACE OPERATOR to make a BAR and the BAR is used to make a weapon or armor by a WEAPONSMITH and ARMORSMITH.

All weapons work the same, so honestly I don't CARE what weapon you make so long as it's melee.  'Armor' is a full set of armor-helm, boots, mail and all.  Yes, 1 bar makes an entire suit of armor.  You don't WANT me to get DF realistic on you!

Why weapons?  Elephants.  If you have nothing, you WILL die.   If you have just a weapon, 25% chance to kill it before it kills you, 25% chance you both die, 50% chance elephant wins.  Just armor, 50% chance you live but the elephant always lives. 

Weapon and armor?  Elephant dies always.

That's why you want both, and fast.  Oh, and yes, you need to be well fed and drunk to use either.

SELLING and STONE

STONE can be used by STONECRAFTERS to make a 'bin of crafts'.  You can sell that and other things to a merchant who shows up every season.  You need a skilled APPRAISER to buy anything (unskilled can try but will fail, but will become skilled the next season).  different things will go for sail but mostly it'll be seeds and metals.

No, merchants don't care about elephants.  No, you can't rob the merchant.

Elephants and the 'map'

Yes, elephants are the only enemy.  If you want another enemy I'll send carp after you and YOU WILL LOSE!  :P

Your base is split into three sections, the field, the entrance, the home.  Elephants start off in the field or entrance and each turn they go deeper inside.  Unless you specify where you are, you are in the home.  If you are in the same second as an elephant, the elephant WILL attack you.  Only one will at a time and who they attack is random (and they can decide NOT to attack).  They will rather attack someone there than go deeper in.  Traps can be made and placed in the entrance or field though note you'll be out there with the elephant and the trap works the season AFTER you place it.  Traps have a 50% chance of working or missing. 

That's pretty much the basics.  Make food and alcohol to keep sane.  Make weapons and armor to fight off the elephants and you'll be fine.  If you work it right, you can set yourselves up so that you can be self sufficient and, thus, can focus purely on the rest of your issues. 

Sidenote: you are allowed to no lynch and the mafia is allowed to no kill.  Just don't use it to stall or try to become Happily Ever After.  You won't.

Sidenote 2: if you're DF savy, you'll find alternative, perhaps more Dwarfy ways of doing things.  There's some freedom for creativity.  Just don't get caught up since the DF system, like DF itself, never lets you win.. only lets you lose in fun ways.  Mafia.. and Xanatos.. yah, that'll let you win.
I KNEW IT!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2010, 10:29:55 pm »

There, all prior knowledge done.  Also roles, after a final check, are done.  you should receive your PMs tonight or tomorrow (depending on sleep, ext.)

Zai, yes I remember the spoiled seating :P
I KNEW IT!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:49 pm »

I thought we were playing mafia...
:V

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:18 pm »

I thought we were playing mafia...
:V

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
... *checks title*

*checks forum*

*re-checks website*

*re-checks forum*

... Where did the Mafia go?

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2010, 11:32:07 pm »

Rank C: Insane (ranges from "very hard to balance" to "is this even a mafia anymore?"  The game will be playable, but at best very quirky and, at worst, something that makes the dreaded Italics look tame.  NO, None of them will add Italics!)

Welcome to fucking boatmurdered = Rank C

You were warned ;)

Quickhint: don't let boatmurdered distract you.  You can lose if you ignore it, but you won't win if it's all you do.

edit: ok evil cackle aside, I COULD allow you to choose one rule to remove. 
I KNEW IT!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36:23 am »

Rank C: Insane (ranges from "very hard to balance" to "is this even a mafia anymore?"  The game will be playable, but at best very quirky and, at worst, something that makes the dreaded Italics look tame.  NO, None of them will add Italics!)

Welcome to fucking boatmurdered = Rank C

You were warned ;)

Quickhint: don't let boatmurdered distract you.  You can lose if you ignore it, but you won't win if it's all you do.

edit: ok evil cackle aside, I COULD allow you to choose one rule to remove. 
We made our moronic choices.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36:53 am »

It sounds like fun.  I'm looking forward to it.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30