Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Urvad, you glutton!  (Read 1148 times)

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
Urvad, you glutton!
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:22:26 am »

So I was checking out my stores of prepared meals when I noticed there was an abnormal amount of "single" prepared meals lying about.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Curious, I zoom in. Oh what do you know, it belongs to somebody.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He must be eating it! Ooh, interesting, by looking at "single" stacks of food, I can see who is busy eating. I zoom in on the next one. Strange, it belongs to the same dwarf, one Urvad Glazedromanaces the Speeches of Heaven. I take a look at the next one, it also belongs to Urvad! I skip down one page and look at another one. This one too belongs to Urvad.

Urvad has claimed 134 prepared plump helmet roasts (7 pages, with each page being 19 units and one "extra unit" before a roast claimed by somebody else appears).
These roasts are all sitting in food stockpiles, all split into "single" stacks. I have never seen something like this before, its almost as if she fears bad days may be ahead and is stocking up.

This brings me to another problem. Urvad is a champion of the fortress and has earned a title through 6 kills (one of which a bronze colossus). I can't just dispose of her like I would of a normal "nobody", these kind of dwarves have a special place in my heart. The only other "plus points" dwarves get in my fortress are being fortress born, having a nickname and having a custom profession, all of which are rare traits.

So, other than me simply presenting this peculiarity to you, as is customary, what should I do? Should I give her a custom profession or nickname as a reward for entertaining me with a display of eccentricity or toss her in a volcano for being impractical?

Edit: sorry I forgot images
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:25:24 am by Overspeculated »

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
Re: Urvad, you glutton!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:17:10 am »

Im guessing she's a legendary, so that means she could claim anything in the fortress with no cost, I'm guessing she likes food?

You have a dilema there, have a mighty hero executed for impratical eating habits or give her lots of glory for it...meh... build a chest for her to store it all in
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:18:43 am by DarkChasm »
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 10:19:32 am »

lol wow.  Is she trying and failing to load them into a backpack?  In any case I guess it depends how many plump helmet roasts you have vs how many champions. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:22:00 am »

I suggest you leave that dwarf alone and try to figure out what's causing this behavior. So far we have two hypotheses, both of which seem probable.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:43:44 am »

The obvious answer is to atom smash them.  Just make sure you keep an eye on your cook.  He may not enjoy the "art defacement"
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:56:51 am »

The obvious answer is to atom smash them.  Just make sure you keep an eye on your cook.  He may not enjoy the "art defacement"

Someone who's already made a lot of masterpieces - and a cook usually makes several dozen of them in one sitting, or none at all - will barely notice losing a couple of them. Sure, he might get that thought in his profile, but it won't matter.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:00:01 pm »

I can only imagine what an awesome splat it makes to smash 134 meals worth of plump helmet roast with a bridge. Make sure that bridge is made of gold or platinum for sheer mass!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »

Someone who's already made a lot of masterpieces - and a cook usually makes several dozen of them in one sitting, or none at all - will barely notice losing a couple of them. Sure, he might get that thought in his profile, but it won't matter.
Actually I believe there is a minimum amount of unhappy points (50 or 10?) given for destruction of a masterpiece, since one of my engravers went from "ecstatic" to "unhappy" after I destroyed 5 or so of his engraving, despite the fact that he probably has a couple hundred masterpieces in the fortress. Not that the cook (a legendary grower, brewer and cook, given the profession "Foodmaster General") would care in this case, having met his end a year or so ago in the form of multiple hammer strikes to the face.

Atomsmashing the food, whilst surely being a hilarious punishment for Urvad, is not possible. The food is all over my food stockpiles, here and there and everywhere.

Neither the food she is hogging nor her position as a champion are precious things in my fortress, I still have many thousand Plump helmet roasts lying around from my now deceased cook and two other replacement candidates for his position, and I have far too many champions in the military and guard branches anyway.

Also I have my own hypothesis as to how this great accumulation of food came place:
Urvad and some other dwarf (of the fortress guard I think) got stuck together in the barracks while sparring. This happens, its a bug. Two sparring military dwarves will stay together on the same square until they both die of thirst, a show of true dedication and love for one another. Even after one has perished and other dwarves have removed their corpse and crap, the second dwarf will still stand there alone. The only way to fix this is to collapse the floor from under them, which is what I did. Now, my hypothesis is that whilst standing there and dying, Urvad suddenly got hungry and started shouting: Reserve a plump helmet roast for me, I'll go get it now! Then try and get, but then remember her pledge to her comrade next to her, both going on a hunger strike. But then she remembers that she is hungry, and reserves another meal.
And so on.
Until I noticed that they were stuck and had the floor under them collapsed.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »

edit: nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 01:22:24 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »

Another of the random bugs affecting Legendary military dwarves.
Check what you've set the carry food options on her squad to. If it's set to 1 or 2 meals make sure she has a backpack equipped & it's empty. If it's not empty & the food inside it isn't owned by her, mark the backpack for dumping so someone will come rip it off her & she should go pick up another from a stockpile. Then she should be able to carry meals with her which will stop her claiming any more & leaving them lying around but it probably won't make her eat the ones already claimed (she may just claim new meals without checking what she already owns, seen it happen with one or 2 meals in old forts of mine but nothing to this extent). If you don't have any backpacks, make some.
What's probably happening is she's claiming a meal & either attempting to load it into a backpack & failing or she's being interrupted when trying to sit down to eat. Not enough dining room space could cause this but you'd notice that by other dwarves message spamming & it's far too many meals for it to be caused by hostile interruptions unless you've been really unlucky.
If you could drop her from the military she'd clean all those up out of the stockpiles (and probably eat them all eventually) but alas once a dwarf gets past accomplished in a weapon skill they're a walking bug factory. New version soon™ though!
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 04:34:58 pm »

Oh yeah, by the way I have an enormous dining room, but nobody uses it. At all. They prefer using the chairs and tables in their rooms (or of a random dwarf's room if they dont have a room) and if they cant access that they would rather eat on the floor. But they stopped using that dining room about 15 years ago now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »

Is it forbidden in any way?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »

When dwarves are eating, they prefer to find a dining room that is assigned to them.  If there isn't one, they'll just find the closest table-chair pair that isn't assigned to someone and use that.  Make sure the food stockpile is close to the dining hall.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:50:22 am »

When dwarves are eating, they prefer to find a dining room that is assigned to them.  If there isn't one, they'll just find the closest table-chair pair that isn't assigned to someone and use that.  Make sure the food stockpile is close to the dining hall.
No, they just won't use it, no matter if its the only chair or table available. I've tried pretty much everything to no avail a long time ago, but it doesn't really matter now anyway as this version is soon to be legacy.

Edit: I think people are missing the point of this thread. I'm not here because I want my food back, I'm here to show you the dwarf that is hoarding a whopping 134 prepared plump helmet roasts.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 05:54:12 am by Overspeculated »